Polestar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Öhlin Adjustable Dampers... Dealer adjustable only?

15K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  stevelup 
#1 ·
Many reviews have mentioned the Öhlin Dampers as being extremely firm at the factory default lever. Furthermore, the 22-settings can only be adjusted by a manual dial at each wheel location with the rears being fairly accessible, but the front ones very difficult unless the car is elevated.

The roads around the San Francisco area are terrible and a stiff riding suspension will probably be a daily driving comfort issue if the reviews are accurate. Given the adjustments have to be done by the dealer (I cannot jack up the car easily), does it make sense to ask the dealer to set them to a softer setting at delivery and then decide if you want them more firm later? The dealer and service network is just getting set up so who knows if it's easy or a real pain to handle any adjustments later.

I need the car be family-friendly, but like the look of the PP so need to find a balance. Any insights?

#3 ·
I think the P1 damper adjustment is located in a great location per your link/resource! I am going by some P2 reviews which were mostly complaining that there are 22 adjustments and having to do all 4 to see if you like one versus another would have been nice if controlled via the console in the car instead of running around to all 4 wheels. Only one of the reviews went into the details of how they could adjust the rear ones, but could only do the front with the car jacked up and concluded for most, it would have to be a dealer adjustment. I really hope the 22 stages have a wide range. The review implied the default was near the middle, but actually on the softer side of the range. I'm pretty sure I won't need it more firm than factory default. I've had some firm riding BMW's and the reviews make is seem like the P2 is more firm than an M-series BWM and that was not a popular car for the rest of my household.

#9 ·
hey, thanks for the great info...can you please link the review you found useful regarding the adjustments...? I am currently reading every possible article/review 🤣 can't help it

#4 ·
Found the P2 adjustment. Rear is like the P1 so easy to adjust. The P1 location is somewhere behind the front wheel and the manual says you must turn the wheel to access it. I now understand why it may be hard to adjust and will have to hope it's an owner adjustment that can be done. Once set, I would probably leave it, but I can see making a few adjustments and driving some between each setting change to decide the level.

#5 ·
Found the P2 adjustment. Rear is like the P1 so easy to adjust. The P1 location is somewhere behind the front wheel and the manual says you must turn the wheel to access it. I now understand why it may be hard to adjust and will have to hope it's an owner adjustment that can be done. Once set, I would probably leave it, but I can see making a few adjustments and driving some between each setting change to decide the level.

View attachment 756
View attachment 757
Hey ALinSf,
I managed to adjust the front of my P2 very easily, the knob is under the wheel. Easier access with wheels turned. Yet, for the back, there is some sort of protection covering the whole wheel arch that prevents access. How did you manage? Do you have to remove it?

#7 ·
The manual shows a rubber cap on the adjustment screw but does not clearly show whether the damper is inboard from the wheel well liner (thus hidden from peeking over the tire) or in the wheel well ( which seems like a bad idea). How about an owner snaps us a couple pics of this area please?

#8 ·
I'd give the defaults a chance, maybe it was expectations but I didn't find the PP defaults on the test drive too firm at all. Even steered into bumps to try and exacerbate the problem and I found it to be well within standard non-sport German car ride feel.

#10 ·
Just came back from the Volvo dealer who landed the Polestar servicing contract. I was sent there by the local Polestar Space guy. The dampers were adjusted in 15 minutes. I had them set to the most confortable setting: I drove away with a new car, very very happy with the result. The factory settings was very taxing on my poorly maintained roads. Very happy !

#19 ·
Went for a comfort setting on my PP (18 clicks) from the factory and didn’t enjoy the ride. Smaller multiple bumps were not damped as well and there was noticeably more roll on slow bends like roundabouts. Have just returned to 12 and prefer it. Whatever the setting, it’s firm - just go faster and you won’t notice 😃

#20 ·
Many reviews have mentioned the Öhlin Dampers as being extremely firm at the factory default lever. Furthermore, the 22-settings can only be adjusted by a manual dial at each wheel location with the rears being fairly accessible, but the front ones very difficult unless the car is elevated.

The roads around the San Francisco area are terrible and a stiff riding suspension will probably be a daily driving comfort issue if the reviews are accurate. Given the adjustments have to be done by the dealer (I cannot jack up the car easily), does it make sense to ask the dealer to set them to a softer setting at delivery and then decide if you want them more firm later? The dealer and service network is just getting set up so who knows if it's easy or a real pain to handle any adjustments later.

I need the car be family-friendly, but like the look of the PP so need to find a balance. Any insights?
Try this maybe?

#21 ·

Look up non poleatar reviews of ohlins dfv dampers on YouTube.

I test drove a pp the other day the the ride in my mind was fine. Apparently set to 11.
They are good dampers and in my mind the reviewers are over stating how stiff they are.

#23 ·
It all depends to what people are used to. And what roads they drive on. Some reviewers even call the standard suspension very stiff. I don’t get it unless they are used to a US car with soft floaty suspension (do they still exist?).

To me all variations seem well sorted. With the PP having advantage to adjust to personal taste.

#24 ·
I haven't owned anything like a floaty car for years... and even then, it wasn't like some 1970's Cadillac... So, yeah.

And, overall, I drive on pretty good roads. When I picked the car up over a year ago and was driving in New York City, those potholes felt horrible... so, yeah, there is that.

Reactions: Mick
#25 ·
Much of this is relative to P2 - this is a P1 sub-forum, and I can't tell who has which model.

It would be good to stay in our lanes and stay in the p1 or P2 sub-forum to keep it relative to each vehicle.

#29 ·
So you don't think it's important for new visitors to this forum to understand the comments here are mixed between P1 & P2?

As a new visitor myself, I was confused at the information provided. My views were to provide clarity to those that were looking for information on the P1 (which is the sub-forum for this vehicle).

#31 ·
For the P1, all that is needed it to open the hood. The adjustments are right there on top - no need to lay on your back. You are correct for the rears, using the provided jack, lift the rear and the adjustments are in the inner fender-well.

This is a P1 sub-forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.