Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find my self, as Luke Skywalker in the Return of the Jedi, being lured to the dark side by Darth TESLA. I am constantly searching the Tesla site for the M3 or Model S. I know that the PS2 has the potential to be a great car but worry about the constant “niggles” as our cousins across the pond would say. I need help. Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi. I live 400miles from the nearest service center and should be in the second wave of US deliveries. I’ve already canceled once and reordered in order to delay delivery. Should I stay in the game or make out my check to Darth Musk.

·
Registered
144 Posts
What is your timeframe? If you are in no rush, wait a few weeks and see if there is any resolution. For me, I feel I need to make a decision in the next two weeks. Test driving the Y on Saturday, just in case, although I am not a fan of Elon or Tesla.

·
Registered
'21 2 | Palo Alto, CA
897 Posts
+1 to @Ivan1

If you're OK to wait into Dec (IIRC that's your now P*2 timeline?) then I'm fairly certain there will be Tesla inventory you could jump on immediately then after seeing how the initial P* rollout goes (if it goes...).
Tesla builds up inventory over the quarter to then make deliveries worldwide at the end of the quarter and they now have Shanghai going well enough they're shipping cars from China to EU. I think that means there will be plenty of inventory for the US coming from Fremont. When I drive on Hwy 101 here I routinely see car transporters carrying loads of Teslas to port. Tesla will always be a fallback option.

CS indicates that N American cars will all be VIN >5000 and the testers I've seen each had VIN >6000. AFAIK the major bugs were really concentrated in the first ~3500 cars. So there's every reason to hold on to hope that our cars are going to be free of at least the major bugs.

That said, I too continually have an eye on Tesla's inventory...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
+1 to @Ivan1

If you're OK to wait into Dec (IIRC that's your now P*2 timeline?) then I'm fairly certain there will be Tesla inventory you could jump on immediately then after seeing how the initial P* rollout goes (if it goes...).
Tesla builds up inventory over the quarter to then make deliveries worldwide at the end of the quarter and they now have Shanghai going well enough they're shipping cars from China to EU. I think that means there will be plenty of inventory for the US coming from Fremont. When I drive on Hwy 101 here I routinely see car transporters carrying loads of Teslas to port. Tesla will always be a fallback option.

CS indicates that N American cars will all be VIN >5000 and the testers I've seen each had VIN >6000. AFAIK the major bugs were really concentrated in the first ~3500 cars. So there's every reason to hold on to hope that our cars are going to be free of at least the major bugs.

That said, I too continually have an eye on Tesla's inventory...
I love the anonymity of the Polestar. I don’t need my car to be a sign of my love for the environment . That is one reason I hesitate to go with Tesla but then the range, charging network and serviceability pull me in that direction. My heart says PS2 but my mind says Tesla.

·
Registered
Snow, slate, ordered Nov 2020
15 Posts
I find my self, as Luke Skywalker in the Return of the Jedi, being lured to the dark side by Darth TESLA. I am constantly searching the Tesla site for the M3 or Model S. I know that the PS2 has the potential to be a great car but worry about the constant “niggles” as our cousins across the pond would say. I need help. Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi. I live 400miles from the nearest service center and should be in the second wave of US deliveries. I’ve already canceled once and reordered in order to delay delivery. Should I stay in the game or make out my check to Darth Musk.
Let the Force guide you but I am about to sign with Polestar. I love cars and continue to see Ts as more tech gadgets than a car. Test driving the P2 confirmed to me that it is a car powered by an electric motor rather than the reverse. Hope you hang in and we will join the owners club together.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The problem is most of the posts you see here are doom and gloom. I've had the car for 2-3 weeks and 450 miles covered. Bloody love the thing and haven't had a single problem. The 'niggles' I'm finding are no different to that in the other cars I've owned and loved. Only thing which was below par was the range, but I do 10 miles a day so finding just the heating up is draining most of the charge.

Just remember the 'secret ratio' of customer experience. With negative experience your 10 times more likes to tell people about your bad experience than a good experience. (There are lots of people who have had these cars and not said anything negative). People come to forums mainly because they've found problems. Much more rare for people to come back and write a positive review (top gents they are however).

·
Registered
122 Posts
Agree with last post. Despite having had some niggles I love the car. Have moved from an E350E Merc and would never be able to live with the drop in interior and exterior “car quality” that are inherent in Tesla’s. The Polestar is a top quality car.

·
Registered
P2 thunder inc PP
26 Posts
Agree with last post. Despite having had some niggles I love the car. Have moved from an E350E Merc and would never be able to live with the drop in interior and exterior “car quality” that are inherent in Tesla’s. The Polestar is a top quality car.
I had my wobble last week. Getting delivery tomorrow but saw the new TM3 performance with 360 mile range and really wondered if I’m doing the right thing. The range concerns me but then I’m only doing on average 200-300 mile a week so will be fine. As you say forums are great but so many owners who are happy with their cars won’t come here. I’ll let you all know how delivery goes tomorrow but one things for sure the P2 knocks spots on the Tesla on looks and can’t wait to start turning some heads!

·
Registered
'21 2 | Palo Alto, CA
897 Posts
The problem is most of the posts you see here are doom and gloom. I've had the car for 2-3 weeks and 450 miles covered. Bloody love the thing and haven't had a single problem. The 'niggles' I'm finding are no different to that in the other cars I've owned and loved. Only thing which was below par was the range, but I do 10 miles a day so finding just the heating up is draining most of the charge.

Just remember the 'secret ratio' of customer experience. With negative experience your 10 times more likes to tell people about your bad experience than a good experience. (There are lots of people who have had these cars and not said anything negative). People come to forums mainly because they've found problems. Much more rare for people to come back and write a positive review (top gents they are however).
In support of this, this forum has <700 members, mostly lurkers.
Posting is dominated by the whining of certain individuals who don't even have their car yet.
Actually, looking at the top 5 posters all time, the only one with their car is #5 and they seem to be one of the unlucky who has gotten a lemon.

Meanwhile, at least 2.2k cars had been delivered in the EU as of a month ago (per recall info), and this month there seems to have been a ramp up of deliveries in the UK.

so. yeah. um. we should totally not pay so much attention to the whiners..... looks away totally not guiltily

·
Registered
P2 thunder inc PP
26 Posts
yes I know which ones you mean although they have given me lots to look out for on delivery. I’ll be amazed if my car is 100% perfect on delivery but as long as no major issue I’m sure I’ll be happy. My Volvo dealer is 15 miles away so no drama. Long as I can drive it there if course lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
1,500 miles and nearly a month in - still loving it! I am new to EV and therefore looking at any problem as a learning opportunity - none, touch wood, have been insurmountable. My vin was 002XXX. And I am boring everyone about the car and regrettably about this forum too. More good humour than I have seen elsewhere! Hoodie anyone???

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2
241 Posts
@adas144 i don’t disagree with you but would suggest the below line will create a bit of fear:
Only thing which was below par was the range, but I do 10 miles a day so finding just the heating up is draining most of the charge.
I was in the same boat as above re maturity of Model 3 and also range. I have stuck in there due to uniqueness of PS2 and that things will get better. I've had my share of recent niggles which I have relayed on this forum. The car will now be updating constantly to iron out the creases but also to provide new features. I also suspect range increases will occur.

All about personal choice and i was nearly tempted back following the Model 3 refresh. What keeps coming back loud and clear from the media, but more importantly folks on here is that this is a well built and exciting quality car. I do see teslas everyday where I live but have not yet seen one PS2 driving around....I still look forward to being the first.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
667 Posts
Posting is dominated by the whining of certain individuals who don't even have their car yet.
Actually, looking at the top 5 posters all time, the only one with their car is #5 and they seem to be one of the unlucky who has gotten a lemon.
Don't foget top poster #6!!
5 out of the 1st 6 days ownership spent at the dealership. I joined months before delivery full of hope and excitement!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Everyday I drive my P2 and pass a M3 I thank my lucky stars I didn’t go that way and waited. End of story. VIN a lowly 5xxx.

·
Super Moderator
677 Posts
I think you do have to consider there is a very large difference here between owning a P2 in the UK and in North America, and that's the geography. In the UK, we whinge if we have to drive 25 miles to a dealer to get something sorted. In NA that could be 500 or 1000 miles! Am I nervous about owning one in the UK? Not really, things will be an annoyance and frustration but that's about it. Would I be nervous about owning one in the US if I'm more than 150 miles (or a tonne more) away from a dealer? Frankly I wouldn't even be considering buying one for another year. You know it's going to have to be recalled at least once for the OTA update to be put on, and realistically probably a couple more times over the first year.

It's easy to look at the Europeans (and, sadly now, the UK as separate...) and see that most of us are fairly resigned to the occasional dealer trip. However when that trip consists of either driving a huge distance over days, or seeing it go away for weeks at a time to get fixed due to the transport issues, that's a totally different story.

We may be "brothers from another mother" (cringe ;)) but we certainly live in a different world, geographically.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Meanwhile, at least 2.2k cars had been delivered in the EU as of a month ago (per recall info), and this month there seems to have been a ramp up of deliveries in the UK.

so. yeah. um. we should totally not pay so much attention to the whiners..... looks away totally not guiltily
Great thread this one, this post in particular. I say this as a lurker / occasional poster, spending an unhealthy amount of time looking at the forum:
A) absorbing everything I can about this great car, which appears to fit the market gap beautifully (assuming you don’t like the M3)
B) fretting about the niggles and weighing up whether to take the leap and replace my rather lovely Discovery 4 (which apart from economy does everything rather well).

Its lovely to read the positive posts to provide some balance against those who are having troubles. I thank those chaps for their complete honesty and clear, regular updates. (This is really a very good forum, most impressed with the knowledge and intelligent content on here, plus a bit of good banter!)

Time I stopped tarting around methinks and got on with it.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts