• Go

Votes: 8 20.5%
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested to know if anyone else has had the same issue:

Last Thursday 21st April I left the car (a brand new Polestar courtesy car) on charge overnight - in the morning it was dead. The key didn't work - all doors were firmly locked and the charging cable couldn't be removed.

Customer services advised I got into the car using the manual key and the car would spring to life. Sadly not. After x2 further support calls I abandoned the car - and ironically was unable to re-lock it so walked away.

Polestar support collected it later the same morning on the back of a flatbed truck
The car was brand new with 500 miles on the clock - no feedback yet from Polestar

Anyone else has this - not feeling like I want to own one now!

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Interested to know if anyone else has had the same issue:

Last Thursday 21st April I left the car (a brand new Polestar courtesy car) on charge overnight - in the morning it was dead. The key didn't work - all doors were firmly locked and the charging cable couldn't be removed.

Customer services advised I got into the car using the manual key and the car would spring to life. Sadly not. After x2 further support calls I abandoned the car - and ironically was unable to re-lock it so walked away.

Polestar support collected it later the same morning on the back of a flatbed truck
The car was brand new with 500 miles on the clock - no feedback yet from Polestar

Anyone else has this - not feeling like I want to own one now!
I voted stay, but that’s on the back of my own experiences and on the basis of the fault being rectified and fixed.

You can walk away, and the next car you get could catch fire, break down have a major system failure or any number of things. No car model has a 100% reliability record and even if one had a 99% reliability record, you could end up with the 1 car in a 100 that is just cursed.

I have had mine 5 months and have had only 1 very minor issue which was promptly fixed, others have had experiences ranging from absolutely no issues to catastrophic failures, you have to decide what’s best for you and what would make you happy, there’s no point in staying if you will only end up worried and stressed everytime you get in and out of the car.

Whatever you decide all the best to you and good luck with your P2 if you decide to keep it or it’s replacement.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Assuming it is a dead 12v battery issue, this is a common issues across all brands of EVs. I considered the VW ID4, Hyundai Ioniq 5 and Kia EV 6 before settling for the Polestar. I was reading all of the forums for bugs and issues. For in known reasons the 12volt battery is very common even with Tesla.
The VW ID cars seems to have the most issues across software and hardware components of the car.

·
Registered
2022 LRSM Thunder/Slate/Plus/Hitch
1,031 Posts
If I was selling Polestar, I would flat out tell my customers to get 12V booster pack and put into the trunk with a one page instruction how to boost the 12V in such scenarios … until we as Polestar find a solution. I’d rather lose sale over this than to have an angry brand new customer.

This 12V issue starts to look like a storm brewing …

·
Registered
8,716 Posts
All the electronics, apps, remote everything, etc., etc. are to blame. There are so many different "states" that the car's sw has to handle. There are probably thousands of edge conditions that aren't all caught in testing scenarios.

·
Registered
8,716 Posts
If I was selling Polestar, I would flat out tell my customers to get 12V booster pack and put into the trunk with a one page instruction how to boost the 12V in such scenarios … until we as Polestar find a solution. I’d rather lose sale over this than to have an angry brand new customer.

Except that these problems are very infrequent. You aren't going to sell very many cars if you tell customers plunking down 60k that they have to be able to hook up a battery tender. The overall risk here is really rather small.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts

It would be even better if the battery connectors were above the panels so you don’t need to remove to jump start it, or have a simple flip cover to access.

·
Registered
8,716 Posts
It would be even better if the battery connectors were above the panels so you don’t need to remove to jump start it, or have a simple flip cover to access.
Except why do that if it should never happen? They don't need to sell more cars to car guys they need to sell more cars to suburban moms and dads.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Except that these problems are very infrequent. You aren't going to sell very many cars if you tell customers plunking down 60k that they have to be able to hook up a battery tender. The overall risk here is really rather small.
Seeing the issue popping up several times a day (different users), especially on the FB group, I am not sure I could agree with you.

·
Registered
8,716 Posts
Maybe I could see a flip cover. But ultimately once the SW is stable, an EV 12v battery should have less issues than an ICE battery. And as it is all cars are having batteries and other components hidden away more and more. You open the hood and nothing is recognizable.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Except why do that if it should never happen? They don't need to sell more cars to car guys they need to sell more cars to suburban moms and dads.
12v car batteries don't last forever. Here in South Florida with all the humidity, you are usually looking at just three years of life out of a 12v battery.

Disclosure: I'm not a current P*2 owner, or current or prior owner of any EV for that matter. It's possible that the use of 12v batteries with EVs results in a very different lifetime in that use case vs. ICE cars.

·
Registered
425 Posts
12v car batteries don't last forever. Here in South Florida with all the humidity, you are usually looking at just three years of life out of a 12v battery.

Disclosure: I'm not a current P*2 owner, or current or prior owner of any EV for that matter. It's possible that the use of 12v batteries with EVs results in a very different lifetime in that use case vs. ICE cars.
A properly maintained car battery will last longer, and in theory the main battery should act as a built in battery tender for the 12v. The 12v doesn't have huge draws like a starter motor either. Really it should last longer than any battery we're used to in cars

·
Registered
'22 Void I Performance I Plus I Leather
145 Posts

I'm not sure it's a "storm brewing", but I'd sure like to understand the circumstances under which it is happening to owners. 6 weeks in for me and really no major issues other than the "voice command" bug introduced in the P2.0 update. That's more of an occasional annoyance than anything.

However, I did buy a NOCO Boost X jump box to keep in the frunk "just in case" ;) I'll probably have to use it on my "garage queen" Boxster S more often...:D Unlike the P2, the Boxster has easy access to the battery under a panel right by the firewall...I usually leave a trickle charger on it when sitting parked in the winter.

·
Registered
8,716 Posts

I believe that to be the case. If the 12v is not constantly being asked to crank an engine it's a lot happier and can last longer with the minimal duties of an EV, and constant recharging. The traction battery is like a constant charge tender.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I am not sure either …. but I do read the FB Polestar owner group often …. It’s a daily thing. Storm or not … if they don’t fix the root cause, with more and more and more cars on the road, they will surely deal with a lot of service calls since this issue is essentially a show stopper when it happens to you out when commuting or running errands.

The12V looks like a nemesis in Polestar’s case…😂

1 - 20 of 71 Posts