Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having driven nothing like it before and waiting over a year from putting my deposit down to receiving the car naturally the first few weeks were very exciting. Well I have to say 1000miles / 1 month later I still absolutely love driving the car.

I went straight into OPD and found it intuitive. For the last week I have switched to no regen and at first it felt like I had less control of the car but now it feels just like driving a normal automatic except it loses less speed (I didn't think it was so literal when people called it coasting). Either way the car is fun to drive.

As everyone well knows the range is disappointing, especially as I never considered I should only use 60% of the battery to save degradation. Still it doesn't matter as parking up and charging at home is a lot nicer than having to drive to/stop off at the petrol station. Speaking of which I have driven off once with my flap open and almost a 2nd time yesterday. Would be nice if it warns you (don't know if it stops you driving off plugged in - kind of want to try especially as it unlocks the cable when you unlock the car but feels like I'm tempting fate).

Back to the battery use though I find I constantly watch each % being used even though it's pointless as my journeys aren't long enough to make a difference. It's also really hard not to put my foot down whether it's open road, overtaking etc. Basically any excuse and why not, that's why I bought the car.

The boot felt small but I was driving a pickup. Now it feels a good size and I would say a family weekend away, including the albeit small dog, and trip to DIY shops etc. worthy tests which the car passed.

I'm not convinced by the vegan interior given the youngest decided to wipe chocolate fingers on. The material and it left a shiny residue thing after it was cleaned up with a baby wipe, which is probably only noticeable by me.

It irritates me it doesn't warn me that the sidelights are left on when I get out. I'm sure the battery will be OK but it is still annoying:I put it down to European cars having parking lights.

Hey Google still feels clunky but that isn't polestar fault, I don't think. Ask it to play a radio station and it seems to be inferior (can pick up white noise which is odd as that DAB doesn't do that fm does it?) to using the app which is crisp. Ask it to play Queen it says sorry I can't play videos. Other songs it just doesn't understand but other times it doesn't seem to get it right bit does. It's a shame as it's not reliable enough to use voice commands as opposed to tapping the screen which means eyes off the road.

The sound at first seemed a little weak but playing with bass and woofer means it has the umph just a shame it depends on the music as to what settings are best (polestar could win big points making the sound system adapt to the style of the music)

I wasnt expecting the collision avoidance to kick in ever unless needed but it has 3 times. I looked at turning it off but the best it offers is to activate late. It is not comfortable when it kicks in though.

I thought the pilot assist i.e. steering assistance, would be better. It doesn't always work and at one point it turned off when going around a corner but as I was paying attention so it didn't matter.

I have to say I am still enjoying the attention of having a car most people don't know what it is. It's kind of why I wanted to buy into it early. Almost missed out due to polestar IT issues but the support team (thank you Emily) was truly amazing. Was nice to see they are advertising it on ITV player and clearly the right demographic as I saw it - watching Des (FYI easily fit a dead body in the boot).

One last thing I'm glad I didn't get the PP but wish I had the brakes as I feel the stopping power of the standard brakes isn't matched to my lead foot. As Dave said you don't know how fast you are going at times.

I have hit over 3 figures (must have been kph as I wouldn't break the law) a couple of times and to be honest had a smile on my face, tight neck muscles and a lot more interest in what is in front of me than the speedo til it's a little late.

If you have read all this good perseverance! In summary the car is great. It isn't perfect but it's been great so far and I have no regrets.

P. S. I loved the bat signal light as a concept but I found it can be glarey at night. It is very pointless but wouldn't turn it off if I could.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Yes. A really useful review as you've had time with the car. Thank you.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The lights are completely automatic - I haven't touched mine since the day I got it.

What are you doing to make it leave yours on? Just turn the knob as far as it will go (past the spring point) and the 'A' symbol will light on the dash. If you're not using auto mode, you're missing out on all the amazing matrix functionality.

·
Super Moderator
669 Posts
Side lights should never be used unless parked pointing the wrong way on the road. They're not for normal driving. Use the real lights :)

Reactions: krheinwald

·
Registered
83 Posts
I also have managed 1100 miles in the month or so since delivery.
I recognise some of your points - lots of bugs but a fantastic driving experience about sums it up. (Current annoyance is that 'hey, Google' has stopped working). I agree on the brakes - I would like more stopping power and have been caught out a couple of times when going faster than I should (I know, I know) and needing to slow down fast has not gone as well as I would like.

Incidentally, according to my trip meter my average consumption over the past 6 weeks has been 34.2KWh/100mi and that includes a real mix of driving including a few longer motorway runs.

The real test will come next year when we do the annual migration to Switzerland for August. I hope that PS have updated the charging curve by then, or it could be a long, slow trip.

·
Registered
P2 thunder inc PP
26 Posts
Having driven nothing like it before and waiting over a year from putting my deposit down to receiving the car naturally the first few weeks were very exciting. Well I have to say 1000miles / 1 month later I still absolutely love driving the car.

I went straight into OPD and found it intuitive. For the last week I have switched to no regen and at first it felt like I had less control of the car but now it feels just like driving a normal automatic except it loses less speed (I didn't think it was so literal when people called it coasting). Either way the car is fun to drive.

As everyone well knows the range is disappointing, especially as I never considered I should only use 60% of the battery to save degradation. Still it doesn't matter as parking up and charging at home is a lot nicer than having to drive to/stop off at the petrol station. Speaking of which I have driven off once with my flap open and almost a 2nd time yesterday. Would be nice if it warns you (don't know if it stops you driving off plugged in - kind of want to try especially as it unlocks the cable when you unlock the car but feels like I'm tempting fate).

Back to the battery use though I find I constantly watch each % being used even though it's pointless as my journeys aren't long enough to make a difference. It's also really hard not to put my foot down whether it's open road, overtaking etc. Basically any excuse and why not, that's why I bought the car.

The boot felt small but I was driving a pickup. Now it feels a good size and I would say a family weekend away, including the albeit small dog, and trip to DIY shops etc. worthy tests which the car passed.

I'm not convinced by the vegan interior given the youngest decided to wipe chocolate fingers on. The material and it left a shiny residue thing after it was cleaned up with a baby wipe, which is probably only noticeable by me.

It irritates me it doesn't warn me that the sidelights are left on when I get out. I'm sure the battery will be OK but it is still annoying:I put it down to European cars having parking lights.

Hey Google still feels clunky but that isn't polestar fault, I don't think. Ask it to play a radio station and it seems to be inferior (can pick up white noise which is odd as that DAB doesn't do that fm does it?) to using the app which is crisp. Ask it to play Queen it says sorry I can't play videos. Other songs it just doesn't understand but other times it doesn't seem to get it right bit does. It's a shame as it's not reliable enough to use voice commands as opposed to tapping the screen which means eyes off the road.

The sound at first seemed a little weak but playing with bass and woofer means it has the umph just a shame it depends on the music as to what settings are best (polestar could win big points making the sound system adapt to the style of the music)

I wasnt expecting the collision avoidance to kick in ever unless needed but it has 3 times. I looked at turning it off but the best it offers is to activate late. It is not comfortable when it kicks in though.

I thought the pilot assist i.e. steering assistance, would be better. It doesn't always work and at one point it turned off when going around a corner but as I was paying attention so it didn't matter.

I have to say I am still enjoying the attention of having a car most people don't know what it is. It's kind of why I wanted to buy into it early. Almost missed out due to polestar IT issues but the support team (thank you Emily) was truly amazing. Was nice to see they are advertising it on ITV player and clearly the right demographic as I saw it - watching Des (FYI easily fit a dead body in the boot).

One last thing I'm glad I didn't get the PP but wish I had the brakes as I feel the stopping power of the standard brakes isn't matched to my lead foot. As Dave said you don't know how fast you are going at times.

I have hit over 3 figures (must have been kph as I wouldn't break the law) a couple of times and to be honest had a smile on my face, tight neck muscles and a lot more interest in what is in front of me than the speedo til it's a little late.

If you have read all this good perseverance! In summary the car is great. It isn't perfect but it's been great so far and I have no regrets.

P. S. I loved the bat signal light as a concept but I found it can be glarey at night. It is very pointless but wouldn't turn it off if I could.
Thanks for all the great info. How much are you getting out of a full charge. My delivery is Thursday and the range is bothering me to be honest. A car advertised at 292 miles shouldn’t be doing 200!

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm averaging about 220 - mix of motorway and country roads.

No car, from any manufacturer, has ever come vaguely close to matching the WLTP numbers.

·
Registered
83 Posts

No car, from any manufacturer, has ever come vaguely close to matching the WLTP numbers.
Sounds about what I am seeing. Short urban runs on a cold battery eat up a lot of juice, but once you get going on a longer run it seems to settle down quite well.

A bigger issue is charging - 50KW is taking a good hour to go from 20%->80% and a recent trip to a 150KW ultra-rapid showed you will be lucky to get more than about 85KW.

·
Registered
'21 2 | Palo Alto, CA
883 Posts
A bigger issue is charging - 50KW is taking a good hour to go from 20%->80% and a recent trip to a 150KW ultra-rapid showed you will be lucky to get more than about 85KW.
On an American tester, at a 150 kW rapid charger I basically got the fastned charging curve with >130 kW initially after a minute of warm up, which dropped to 85-100kW at 40% or so.
Software update time? Or maybe an issue with that charger?

·
Registered
293 Posts
That sounds absolutely normal at the moment. They start at about 135kW but only charge at that speed for a very short amount of time before dropping to 85.

There is clearly a -very- conservative charging curve in place at the moment. I'm quite sure they will improve it as data starts coming back into them.

·
Super Moderator
669 Posts

Erm...

WLTP of a Kona Electric is 279 miles. In general driving, mixture of roads, I get almost spot-on 280. I get 320 miles in summer, 250 miles in Winter.

So some cars do get their WLTP range. Just not the Polestar!

·
Super Moderator
669 Posts
Nope! I drive normally, Eco or Normal mode, mid-level regen, all-season tyres. Sometimes sport mode if I want to deploy 200bhp to get to the curry take-away faster ;) It really is that easy in the Kona. I'm pretty average in terms of range to be honest - many see nearer 350 in good weather conditions in summer.

·
Super Moderator
669 Posts
Bjorn Nyland's tests say it all...

Even at a soul-destroying 90kph (56mph) on a motorway for hours, you'd still only get 270 miles on a P2!

·
Super Moderator
669 Posts
Between the cars as cars, no. But the statement was that no car matches its WLTP, and that's simply incorrect. People regularly match, and indeed beat, the WLTP figure for the Kona Electric and its sister cars (Kia eNiro, Kia Soul).

1 - 20 of 52 Posts