Polestar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Does your home charging set up allow you to monitor the charging or set a schedule for it?
I agree this should be one of Polestar’s top priorities to fix.
I have the Easee charger that can pause from the app, and charge when the cost is optimal. But have not seen limiting functionality there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does your home charging set up allow you to monitor the charging or set a schedule for it?
I agree this should be one of Polestar’s top priorities to fix. I’m planning to use my home charger to limit the charge to 80% via the chargers control system and wondering/hoping if that should work.

As a silver lining, their battery warranty should cover things if you have accelerated loss of capacity because of this!
For me, after a 400 km trip round Leke Mälaren in Sweden the charging works perfect. The onboard Ac charger takes it to 100%. Using 50 kw dc charger stops where I put the stop. Usually att 80 or 90%!

·
Registered
27 Posts
1: Pilot assist I like quite alot. It's far from auto pilot like the Tesla, and naming it "assist" is very to the point. At times it is a bit "nervous" like adjusting the direction more often than you would yourself. Also I feel it positions the car a bit too close to either the right or the left line at times. Depending on the road and the position of the cars you meet this is details that will make you not quite thrust the assist 100%. But that was perhaps never the point with it either. I found myself using it when I try to open a bottle, or briefly check something on the infotainment screen just for extra safety. Also on long roads when I felt like I needed a brake, just resting my hands on the wheel and let the assist do the job for a while was very nice. I thought It worked best when driving on roads with not too many sharp turns and moderate to little traffic. I feel this is the right amount of "assist", and I don't think I would spend alot of money on getting a car with autopilot. I think there are several other areas one should focus on perfecting on a car before that. On that note I imediately felt the usefullness of the assist feature, and I didn't feel I needed t get used to anything, like how hard I should hold the steering wheel or anything. Everything just felt intuitive. Trying autopilot on the Tesla was a very different story for me.

2: I would not worry too much. When 4G was out, the voice assist didnt work very good (extremely slow and not very impressed by my norwegian dialect), but searching the manual way worked just as good as any other existing map system out there. So you are back to 2010 mode, but everything works, you just can't have a conversation with the car about it. I have adjusted to the Idea of using voice so fast that the dissapointment of actually having to search by text was like.. "This is sooo 1997" :) . I imediately also missed the live traffic update because that was important at the time I didn't have connection. Radio and DAB radio still worked, and going back to playing Spotify from the phone via bluetooth also worked. Perhaps a factor was also that I havent really learned how to use the system offline, so it was a bit distracting because I went all "I don't know what buttons to push" here.

As I sidenote I found the storage specs at stating it has 36GB of storage available. Andre apper (other apps) using 1.7GB data must be offline maps mostly as there are not much else that could be right now with just the few apps we have.

View attachment 676

Thank you for your detailed reply...very helpful! 😊🙏

·
Registered
50 Posts
My car has been set to 80% limit since I got it 17 days ago. It always goes to 100% when charging at home. On those 50kWh chargers it's the same story but I usually stop at 85-90%. I think no matter the logic, setting a limit should actually limit the charging in any scenario especially when there is a warning about it in the car.
Has anyone dropped a question to the official twitter account of Polestar? This is a serious issue then....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Apparently the latest software update only stops DC charges at 80%, but AC go to 100%.

Source: Several people on Facebook.
As I side note I am driving around the Oslo area everyday enjoying how ridiculously nice this car is to drive. I haven’t charged the battery in a week.. 400+ km is quite some distance when you are just faffing around locally, so checking if they updated anything here is a slow process for me apparently 😊. I just noticed the other day that the SOS service warning was gone, so something clearly is happening behind the curtains. I have faith this will be sorted soon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am confused on the current state of OTA updates. There is a twitter discussion w/ Polestar on going where it sounds like some software can’t be updated via OTA and perhaps that will need to be resolved (I assume at a ”space”) before all aspects can be updated via OTA. Anyone know? Am I misunderstanding?

·
Registered
50 Posts
The support website is also as clear as mud on this topic and perhaps this is why they are relaying similar confusing info. It states on the software update section you need to have it performed by a service centre... but then under the software section in the manual states updates are delivered OTA.

I mean it also says you shouldn’t drive with the boot open as it’ll draw in toxic exhaust fumes from the car. Amazing 😂

·
Registered
495 Posts
I suspect some people are confusing firmware update vs software update.

Some early adopters may need following updates to the Firmware ... that's the only thing I can thing off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an update regarding limit of charging: One week ago I made a long trip including a few charging-events. Destination charging always went on untill 100%. DC charging at 50 Kw always stopped where I wanted - usually 80%.
Now I have had my own, very slow, charging-station (Garo) installed. This morning checking - it had stopped at 80%.
My guess is that it is the communication between car and charging station that decide on the actual limit. It has nothing to do with AC- vs DC-charging. Some stations are smarter or at least more capable of negotiate with P*2.

·
Registered
409 Posts
For the folks who have tried out the Model 3 (spec. long-range AWD) and the P*2 (spec. 19" non-Performance), how does the ride quality/bumpiness compare?
Also how does the regen braking and one-pedal drive feel in comparison between the two?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I have an update regarding limit of charging: One week ago I made a long trip including a few charging-events. Destination charging always went on untill 100%. DC charging at 50 Kw always stopped where I wanted - usually 80%.
Now I have had my own, very slow, charging-station (Garo) installed. This morning checking - it had stopped at 80%.
My guess is that it is the communication between car and charging station that decide on the actual limit. It has nothing to do with AC- vs DC-charging. Some stations are smarter or at least more capable of negotiate with P*2.
I tested charging at my home Easee charging station last night, and now it stops at 80% as it should. So you might be on to something about some stations being more capable of negotiating than others, but this time Polestar must have actually fixed it. Did not work for the first weeks but seems to be OK now and I am using the same charger. Also, I have not seen the warning about 80% in the display for a while. Wonder if they removed that also. This together with the SOS functionality error being magically fixed here the other day, makes me optimistic about Polestar taking care of things. I just hope the learn to be more communicative about the known defects. I Wonder how and if Tesla is Communicating known defects better.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Tesla is not better communicating, equally bad i would say. The advantage they have is that every main update they throw they actually explain what is fixed and not. Polestar apparently changes things without saying anything to anyone. That seems positive but can surprise some people that are getting used to something and next morning it is changed again...

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yeah I'd like a little pop up box saying "hay this has changed .... then list each change." however I suspect we won't get anything unless it's a major upgrade or addition.
They seem to be in the mindset of most consumers don't care as long as their car works.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This together with the SOS functionality error being magically fixed here the other day, makes me optimistic about Polestar taking care of things.
Great trip report - it mirrors my experience with somewhat shorter drives around the Mjøsa, Oslo, and Gudbrandsdalen areas.

I kind of doubt there are OTA updates going on in the background that we don't know about. With regards to the SOS error, I have read that this system has a separate battery, and that the error was caused by low voltage on this battery. So it now appearing to be fixed may just be that this slow charging smaller battery has been charged.

I am however unsure about the 80% limit, and why this appears to have fixed itself. Personally, I have never had this problem, since picking up my car Aug 20. With my Easee charging point, charging has always stopped at the limit I set it at, usually 70%, sometimes 80%, a few times 90 and 100%. I read today that some only experienced that problem when using Tibber's Smart Charging. I have not yet used this.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I kind of doubt there are OTA updates going on in the background that we don't know about. With regards to the SOS error, I have read that this system has a separate battery, and that the error was caused by low voltage on this battery. So it now appearing to be fixed may just be that this slow charging smaller battery has been charged.

I am however unsure about the 80% limit, and why this appears to have fixed itself. Personally, I have never had this problem, since picking up my car Aug 20. With my Easee charging point, charging has always stopped at the limit I set it at, usually 70%, sometimes 80%, a few times 90 and 100%. I read today that some only experienced that problem when using Tibber's Smart Charging. I have not yet used this.
Those are good points. I was not aware of SOS error being potentially caused by a voltage issue. I just took what Polestar support said about it some weeks ago... and that was something along the line of : They are working on it, it is linked to Polestar Connect, and I must contact the the dealer (thought that was Polestar but..) to sort out Polestar connect... Thinking about it now, it all sounds like gibberish, pointing back to earlier thoughts about car manufacturers really need to up their game in good software tradition.

Regarding the 80% issue, I use Tibber smart charging. when it stopped at 80% this functionality was actually paused for the first time, so it confirms what your saying, and also earlier comments from Pax about some chargers have negotiation issues.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just wonder how do you guys report that the SOS was fixed and the battery issue was fixed and this and that overnight while the OTA is not activated.
A process like that is the definition of OTAs. I think if they can hot-fix issues like the 12v battery than OTA is activated. Why can't Polestar confirm this?
Someone care to explain the difference?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I think with some translations and different uses of terminologies some confusion has materialised.

It would be my guess OTA updates do work fine one or some of the computers on board, however there are some computers on board that need a physical connection to be updated.

I can't be 100% but I've seen more than one poster on various social sites that state one day the error went, the charging was ok, etc.. Whilst we also know some people did have to return to get an update on the car.

Assuming both statements are true ... then logically it would mean some of the computers are isolated from the core of computers that can get OTA updates.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts