Polestar Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
It would be my guess OTA updates do work fine one or some of the computers on board, however there are some computers on board that need a physical connection to be updated.
I'm also guessing some OTA updates are working. I also have some pretty high tech bicycle gear and note that hardware updates work OTA as well. Ie, I've done updates where the ROM is flashed. It's always a slow process, but it's been working on several devices by different companies for years. 'Not sure why you'd need that direct connection through a cable. But I'm a structural engineer, not a software engineer, so my understanding is quite limited.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I just wonder how do you guys report that the SOS was fixed and the battery issue was fixed and this and that overnight while the OTA is not activated.
A process like that is the definition of OTAs. I think if they can hot-fix issues like the 12v battery than OTA is activated. Why can't Polestar confirm this?
Someone care to explain the difference?
I just report my experiences as I go along. If something changes without me doing anything, a quick assumption is that somebody did something OTA. I have not read about when/if/what is going on with OTA, I just bought the car on the promise this was the way things would work. But as the discussions go on, it seems that the issues going away have logical explanations not necessarily involving OTA, just like the latest points about 12v and 80%. All of this is guesswork at best.

I guess rumors, misleading claims and misunderstandings is what we all get when the vendor is not controlling the information flow by listing known issues, estimated fix times etc.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah that would make sense but also very difficult for general OTA updates, especially if the safety module is isolated from OTAs.
Tesla has it all under the same link - for better or worse - maybe there is a reason Polestar keeps that separate, if your theory is true.
You know what an awesome feature would be? If Polestar had someone working for them moderate a forum like this.
So many theories debunked and verified.... but the value would be immense. Think of all the money they would save from people not calling customer support all day to ask that stuff.... let alone the speculations, bad publicity etc etc.... invaluable service :)

·
Registered
409 Posts
@SKuggemannen how are things faring now? Still a good experience with the car?

Trying to understand if the online negativity is the reality or just the internet amplifying negative complaints over positive experiences.

The German forum polestar.fans gives the impression that people are overall happy even with a few niggles (as best as I can tell going via google translate).

·
Registered
22 Posts
@polerad I will of course let @SKuggemannen speak for himself, but as another Norwegian Polestar 2 owner, I could not be happier. I go for drives for no other reason than to enjoy the driving experience (that reminds me, I need to increase my insurance allowed km range). Nights are getting longer, and the adaptive Pixel LEDs at night are superb.

There are a few cars that have what appears to be an issue with the 12V battery, and those few do get attention in the Facebook "Owner's" group. One suspicion is that some 12V batteries were damaged due to deep discharge during freight, since AGM batteries are particularly prone to damage from this. There has also been mention of a faulty cooling element, but without any official information these are just speculations.

I think almost one thousand cars have been delivered in Norway now and a vast majority are running great. Too few are posting their positive experience!

·
Registered
409 Posts
@polerad I will of course let @SKuggemannen speak for himself, but as another Norwegian Polestar 2 owner, I could not be happier. I go for drives for no other reason than to enjoy the driving experience (that reminds me, I need to increase my insurance allowed km range..). Nights are getting longer, and the adaptive Pixel LEDs at night are superb.

There are a few cars that have what appears to be an issue with the 12V battery, and those few do get attention in the Facebook "Owner's" group. One suspicion is that some 12V batteries were damaged due to deep discharge during freight, since AGM batteries are particularly prone to damage from this. There has also been mention of a faulty cooling element, but without any official information these are just speculations.

I think almost one thousand cars have been delivered in Norway now and a vast majority are running great. Too few are posting their positive experience!
Thanks! Sounds so great. I really can’t wait for mine to show up!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
@SKuggemannen how are things faring now? Still a good experience with the car?

Trying to understand if the online negativity is the reality or just the internet amplifying negative complaints over positive experiences.
I truly understand some people have bad experiences especially when sorting out the logistics, decisions and waiting games getting a new car involves. I did not really have a bad experience in this process. I waited about a month longer than I was hoping for to get the car, and in retrospect the excitement was what made me a bit desperate for news in that process.

I have been driving around for over a month now. I truly love the car and would never dream of returning it. People can call me a biased fanboy or whatever, I do not care. The truth is the bugs and issues are all minor to me and my only real issue with Polestar was that they did not inform us customers properly about what was going on with bugs and updates, and the support was more confusing than helpful. Now that they sent the information email a couple of days ago, I felt a lot better about everything, and I hope they learn from this and keep us better informed in the future. As long as I know they are working on the issues, I’m fine. Also some of my minor issues was just because I didn’t properly read the manual like I should.

When driving around I find myself smiling and enjoying myself more than ever in a car, and I have a lot of ermahgerd moments at times when the car performs particularly well, like driving countryside roads with lots of turns. I frequently discover new details that I really like. Yesterday I noticed for the first time the door handles have small lights under them, making it easier to see the handles, and minor things regarding how the beams/lights work now that it is getting darker in the evenings.

I had the car in for ceramic coating over a weekend (IGL Kenzo), and found it hard being without the car for a couple of days even, because I want to go somewhere every day for no good reason now.

Some bugs like the loss of 4G at weird times, is kind of trumped by how good voice detection is, and how functional this system is on a general basis. I drove around with a 2012 VW Touran the other day and going back to that shait map system just made me appreciate the Google map setup even more. I have also seen that the estimated battery consumption to a set destination is very accurate albeit a bit conservative. Seems like it knows very well what driving 110kmh (68 mph) will do to the battery. This has been a concern for me in other EVs with far worse accuracy in this area and near flat battery experiences.

I feel it is important to be able to discuss details, positive and negative in a forum like this, and I find it very helpful and exiting to read everyone’s opinions and thoughts. My general feeling is that this car is truly amazing, and I hope pointing out bugs does not need to start like. "This car is amazing, but... there is a bug" for people not to get the wrong idea :-D

·
Registered
22 Posts
I edited my post above (quoted by polerad), to correct a typo, and it became "hidden - requiring moderator approval". I guess editing is strongly discouraged in this forum. Or moderator approval is required for some other reason...

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
I edited my post above (quoted by polerad), to correct a typo, and it became "hidden - requiring moderator approval". I guess editing is strongly discouraged in this forum. Or moderator approval is required for some other reason...
Well, we have to give the grammar police a chance to look things over, now haven't we?

·
Registered
409 Posts
@Administrator am happy to relinquish whatever claim I have over @n808 's post via my quote but don't want to edit mine now out of fear of losing my own post!
Any way to hasten the approval process? I'm sure our virgin eyes can handle whatever @n808 and @SKuggemannen have to say.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I can only assume there's only one moderator, and they're on holiday or something. I've had two new posts that are still sitting there, waiting for approval, for reasons that are beyond me. At risk of sounding ungrateful, I'm not impressed with the moderators on here! Never had this problem on various other forums running identical software so it seems like the configuration is somewhat draconian...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah I'd like a little pop up box saying "hay this has changed .... then list each change." however I suspect we won't get anything unless it's a major upgrade or addition.
They seem to be in the mindset of most consumers don't care as long as their car works.
Page 496 of the handbook states:

"To see more information on what the updated
software contains you can tap on the symbol
with an "i".

Anyone seen this yet?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The hidden posts are back. Thanks to @SKuggemannen for an awesome, detailed report.

Being kind of old-fashioned about what extras are needed for a car, I never thought I would consider something like ceramic coating, but for a car this fantastic, and I enjoy so much in a pristine condition, I will probably get it done ASAP.

4G has never dropped out for me, btw. Google Maps is great, but being used to Waze which is always updated with the latest road changes, it feels like a small step backwards. Sadly, Waze does not yet support EVs, and may never. Hopefully, with both Waze and Google Maps being owned by Google, Google Maps will improve its update frequency further.

I enjoy reading everything I come across about the car, and exchange thoughts and ideas in forums like this, as being among the first owners in the world. As such, some minor issues are to be expected, but we know they are in the process of being fixed. I am greatly looking forward to the end of the year when the expected big update will arrive, and app support with remote access to pre-heating and other features will be launched.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Nights are getting longer, and the adaptive Pixel LEDs at night are superb.
I think keep trying to testing this mode, but apparently there are too much lights everywhere preventing it from activating. @n808 du you just turn the knob to the symbol over [Auto] and mode goes on, or do you need to do some crazy wizardry with the handle also? I used to have auto dimmer on my previous car, so I guess this is the same only you can not choose between auto dimmer and pixel magic?

I tried to do some drone flying around the car a few days after I got it by the way. This is the first flight trying to follow the car while in the passanger seat mostly so I did not dare to fly closer.
Polestar 2 drone video outside Kongsberg Norway somewhere

·
Registered
22 Posts
@SK\
du you just turn the knob to the symbol over [Auto] and mode goes on,
That's correct. It needs to be darkish. When the symbol you posted is white, it's activated, but there is too much light around to turn on the lasers (high beams). As you drive into a dark road with no street lights or houses nearby, the symbol turns Blue with an "A" in it, and you are in laser mode, with high beams on. Then as you meet other cars, you notice how the four lasers on each side turn on and off according to where the on-coming cars are, or the car ahead of you. When following any car with regular lights, the lights on my P2 light up on both sides of the car ahead of me, much further than that car's own lights! I wonder how that effect appears to the driver in that older vehicle.

·
Registered
507 Posts
@SK\

That's correct. It needs to be darkish. When the symbol you posted is white, it's activated, but there is too much light around to turn on the lasers (high beams). As you drive into a dark road with no street lights or houses nearby, the symbol turns Blue with an "A" in it, and you are in laser mode, with high beams on. Then as you meet other cars, you notice how the four lasers on each side turn on and off according to where the on-coming cars are, or the car ahead of you. When following any car with regular lights, the lights on my P2 light up on both sides of the car ahead of me, much further than that car's own lights! I wonder how that effect appears to the driver in that older vehicle.
Maybe it blinds him in his side view mirrors? 😱

41 - 60 of 77 Posts