Polestar Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
I think keep trying to testing this mode, but apparently there are too much lights everywhere preventing it from activating. @n808 du you just turn the knob to the symbol over [Auto] and mode goes on, or do you need to do some crazy wizardry with the handle also? I used to have auto dimmer on my previous car, so I guess this is the same only you can not choose between auto dimmer and pixel magic?

View attachment 755

I tried to do some drone flying around the car a few days after I got it by the way. This is the first flight trying to follow the car while in the passanger seat mostly so I did not dare to fly closer.
Polestar 2 drone video outside Kongsberg Norway somewhere
Nice footage!
Also like the soundtrack and how it matches your facial hair well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Also like the soundtrack and how it matches your facial hair well.
I appreciate that! :cool: , Made it for another drone video originally. And I guess it would be even more appropriate to drive a Cadillac with horns in the front, but there you go. Polestar it is :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
That's correct. It needs to be darkish. When the symbol you posted is white, it's activated, but there is too much light around to turn on the lasers (high beams). As you drive into a dark road with no street lights or houses nearby, the symbol turns Blue with an "A" in it, and you are in laser mode, with high beams on.
I tested quite a bit now in the dark, and absolutely nothing happens no matter what when I turn the knob to

Something must be funky with my setup unless Matrix Headlights require being a level 10 Mage or engineer.

@n808 Did you ajust the low beams at a service point after getting the car? I think I will do that and check the automatic matrix thing at the same time, since I think my low beams might be a bit high also

·
Registered
31 Posts
Do you suppose that it is possible that the effect of the matrix blanking is not super-obvious to the person driving the car (but is hopefully obvious to the oncoming car)?

Hoping that (a) this feature does really work and (b) that the US gets its act together and allows it in the future.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Do you suppose that it is possible that the effect of the matrix blanking is not super-obvious to the person driving the car (but is hopefully obvious to the oncoming car)?

Hoping that (a) this feature does really work and (b) that the US gets its act together and allows it in the future.
I'm confident the feature doesn't activate. The symbol don't switch in the display combined with no effect on the actual lights. I might be doing something wrong, but I seriously doubt it after reading other comments and the manual. Driving over 20 kmh speed, no lights around etc.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
So a on coming car flashed you so you manually dipped the lights?
No, I don't need to bother any on coming car in this case. I just turn the knob to:

And it automatically goes back to [Auto] position like the manual say it will when activating this functionality.

In a dark enviroment without any on coming traffic or lights, The high beams should now activate, and a symbol in the display should indicate that the adaptive lights was activated like this:

but none of that happens, no light and no symbol

·
Registered
22 Posts
@SKuggemannen : it sounds like Pixel (Matrix) LEDs are not enabled on your car. Based on your plate (nice drone video, by the way!), I think you picked up yours 2-3 days ahead of me. In the Doc->Settings menu, my version is 20-Aug-2020, the day I picked it up. Some claim this version number indicates that Pixel LEDs are enabled. I have doubts as to the relevance of this version number, but who knows, perhaps it's just placed in the Documentation for lack of other places to put it.

I had another software update done at a local Bilia to fix an odd issue no one else has had, but no version numbers were harmed/changed in the process. It was after that update I noticed Pixel LEDs worked, so I don't know if they originally worked, or if that latest update fixed it. In any case, the Pixel LED configuration update should be available at your local Bilia.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Maybe try pushing the leave away from you to active permanent full high beam first, then turning the nob to auto.

If that does nothing they yeah something not right.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
@SKuggemannen : it sounds like Pixel (Matrix) LEDs are not enabled on your car. Based on your plate (nice drone video, by the way!), I think you picked up yours 2-3 days ahead of me. In the Doc->Settings menu, my version is 20-Aug-2020, the day I picked it up. Some claim this version number indicates that Pixel LEDs are enabled. I have doubts as to the relevance of this version number, but who knows, perhaps it's just placed in the Documentation for lack of other places to put it.

I had another software update done at a local Bilia to fix an odd issue no one else has had, but no version numbers were harmed/changed in the process. It was after that update I noticed Pixel LEDs worked, so I don't know if they originally worked, or if that latest update fixed it. In any case, the Pixel LED configuration update should be available at your local Bilia.
Hm, very interesting. Did you contact Bilia directly or did you contact Polestar first?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hm, very interesting. Did you contact Bilia directly or did you contact Polestar first?
When I needed the lights adjusted, and later the s/w updated, I drove directly to Bilia. It was the first Polestar they had seen there at that time, but for the lights they fixed it while I waited, for the s/w update I had to leave it until the next day, and picked it up noon.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Maybe try pushing the leave away from you to active permanent full high beam first, then turning the nob to auto.

If that does nothing they yeah something not right.
Oh yes I have tried all sorts of wizardry with that stick in combination with nob turning to auto in various sequences. I also added a light drizzle of swear words from remote corners of Norway on top to no effect.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
When I needed the lights adjusted, and later the s/w updated, I drove directly to Bilia. It was the first Polestar they had seen there at that time, but for the lights they fixed it while I waited, for the s/w update I had to leave it until the next day, and picked it up noon.
I checked Bilia (Økern) now and they will take a look friday and adjust the lights at least, also check for updates, and perhaps do a reset or something. But I have to say it is very clear (and understandable) that they have very little experience with P2. The guy I talked to said they heard an update was expected for week 36, but they havent seen it yet (week 38 now). So I asked f they had any previous versions at hand, and he said no... Anyway, I'm going to just stop my speculations about it and let them have a look. I would at least suggest anyone in Europe should check if the Adaptive Matrix lights will activate as part of the delivery checklist.

·
Registered
277 Posts
No, I don't need to bother any on coming car in this case. I just turn the knob to:
View attachment 764
And it automatically goes back to [Auto] position like the manual say it will when activating this functionality.
View attachment 765

In a dark enviroment without any on coming traffic or lights, The high beams should now activate, and a symbol in the display should indicate that the adaptive lights was activated like this:

View attachment 766

but none of that happens, no light and no symbol
Hi SKuggermannen,
We took delivery of our UK car a week ago, and finally tested the lights tonight.
IN 'normal' mode i.e. headlights on but the 'auto' full beam off, we had full control of dip/high beam via the stalk as per conventional car.
By toggling the wheel switch to Auto the View attachment 766 illuminates and the car takes full control of the high beam and flicking the stalk has no effect. The car detects both traffic in front of me and oncoming vehicles and adjusts the beam as necessary. It does NOT flick from full to dip beam in the conventional sense but only adjusts the field of the full beam where it detects the vehicle so it is not dazzled. Therefore hedges either side of the road remain in full beam, and when the vehicle has passed the area of full beam previously deactivated comes back on. It takes a bit of getting used to!

In general terms the lights are extremely powerful and bright. Ours may need slight adjustment as we did get flashed twice. We also noted a dull spot in our field of view about 15m in front of the car. but all in all, very impressed!

·
Registered
69 Posts
My car has been set to 80% limit since I got it 17 days ago. It always goes to 100% when charging at home. On those 50kWh chargers it's the same story but I usually stop at 85-90%. I think no matter the logic, setting a limit should actually limit the charging in any scenario especially when there is a warning about it in the car.
Set my car to 80% max and home charged. It stopped at 80%, and automatically released the charging cable. I was using the low amperage, plug into domestic power supply cable. I have not yet organised a home charger.

The issue I do have is when you turn the power off, then on again an hour later, the car does not appear to pick up charging again. I was looking at a temporary solution of a timer switch to use the off-peak electricity at home, limiting charging to the 7 hours, and 80%.

Of course, there are two obvious solutions. 1) install a proper charger, 2) Polestar to have its own timer. I assume option 2 is coming, and option 1 is up to me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Set my car to 80% max and home charged. It stopped at 80%, and automatically released the charging cable. I was using the low amperage, plug into domestic power supply cable. I have not yet organised a home charger.

The issue I do have is when you turn the power off, then on again an hour later, the car does not appear to pick up charging again. I was looking at a temporary solution of a timer switch to use the off-peak electricity at home, limiting charging to the 7 hours, and 80%.

Of course, there are two obvious solutions. 1) install a proper charger, 2) Polestar to have its own timer. I assume option 2 is coming, and option 1 is up to me.
Interesting. I have since discovered that charging at home will stop at the set limit for me, but not when I use the Easee "smart" functionality that will charge when the power is at the lowest cost points only. If I turn this functionality off and just charge with the Easee system it will work just fine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi SKuggermannen,
We took delivery of our UK car a week ago, and finally tested the lights tonight.
IN 'normal' mode i.e. headlights on but the 'auto' full beam off, we had full control of dip/high beam via the stalk as per conventional car.
By toggling the wheel switch to Auto the View attachment 766 illuminates and the car takes full control of the high beam and flicking the stalk has no effect. The car detects both traffic in front of me and oncoming vehicles and adjusts the beam as necessary. It does NOT flick from full to dip beam in the conventional sense but only adjusts the field of the full beam where it detects the vehicle so it is not dazzled. Therefore hedges either side of the road remain in full beam, and when the vehicle has passed the area of full beam previously deactivated comes back on. It takes a bit of getting used to!

In general terms the lights are extremely powerful and bright. Ours may need slight adjustment as we did get flashed twice. We also noted a dull spot in our field of view about 15m in front of the car. but all in all, very impressed!
When I bought the BMW i3 in 2014, which had the dipped beam LED lights, I was flashed regularly at night, even though they were not at full beam. The i3 then had halogen full beam and did not have an automatic full beam function.

The dipped beam has not had any adjustment, but funnily enough I rarely get flashed at night now. I wonder if people have just got used to the brighter LED lights.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts