Polestar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-18 C this morning, and we have had temps way below sub zero pretty much since New Year in parts of Norway.
Our local AAA reports of many electric cars with start issues. This is related to low voltage from the 12 V batteries. This is not a PS spesific problem.
I find it strange that the 12 V battery is not kept fully charged when the main battery is being charged or is fully charged.
-10 to - 20 C is not unusual where I live. I may fit a trickle charger for the 12 V battery.
When PS delivers the car, that is.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Are lithium ion batteries better in the cold? Just pondering.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
My car was parked on my drive since Saturday. It's been between -2 and -7deg C all week. OK not -20 but I just went outside to get into and park across the road an it worked fine.

I don't think the 12V is any more or less effected by the cold than in an ICE vehicle.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Are lithium ion batteries better in the cold? Just pondering.
I think so, but LI batteries work slightly different from regular batteries. They can be stored over winter with very little loss in capacity, but they sort of go to sleep when not used for some time. I had one on a Harley. After storage I thought the battery was flat, hardly any reaction when I tried to start the engine. They just need to be put under load for 30 secs, then they come to life. Second start attempt and turned like a champ.
They need a special type of charger if you need to charge them separately. Also need to stay within certain voltage limits. Below 15 V if I remember correctly.
They are smaller and much, much lighter than regular batteries, but packs a much bigger punch. On the Harley it was half size compared to the original battery. Can be installed any way you like, sideways, upside down, whatever.

The 12 V batteries get charged when you drive, just like a ICE car, so why can’t they keep them topped up when parked?

GDank, it doesn’t happen on all electric cars when it’s cold. Like ICE cars, there is an increase when it’s cold.
It’s just weird to have a flat 12 V battery when the main battery is full. It should not happen, if you ask me.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,888 Posts
It doesn't happen if the top-up regime has been implemented correctly, and the car shuts down properly to initiate this regime... sadly it seems these two simple things fail to happen a lot on modern cars of all types, however at least EVs do have the ability to top up their 12V batteries when things do work properly :).

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,888 Posts
I bet if you put 25 modern EVs and 25 modern ICE cars in a cold car park and left them there for 3 months, only (most of) the EVs would start, the ICE cars would have flat 12V batteries.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts