Polestar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for an easy way to power various things normally powered from 12V socket and it looks like there is only one in the boot.

Seems a front one was intended but not included, in that the section in the manual talks about 12V sockets plural even though there’s only one and the fusebox under the bonnet has a fuse (number 2) for “12V socket, front”.

I don’t suppose anyone knows where it was going to be and whether the wiring is there?

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Seems a front one was intended but not included, in that the section in the manual talks about 12V sockets plural even though there’s only one and the fusebox under the bonnet has a fuse (number 2) for “12V socket, front”.
In my previous car, I bought a model where a 12V socket had been deleted from the previous model year. It was fairly easy to locate the place it had been intended and I spent a pleasant hour or two installing an aftermarket socket in that spot and then wiring it to the fusebox in the proper location with a fuse tap. 'Worked great!

·
Registered
83 Posts
The rear tunnel USB ports seem to occupy a traditional 12V-sized space, so my best guess is that somewhere in development they made a change there. Though I’m actually super happy for all passengers to have access to USB-C charging, and the 12V in back for the odd auto accessory.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was looking for an easy way to power various things normally powered from 12V socket and it looks like there is only one in the boot.

I don’t suppose anyone knows where it was going to be and whether the wiring is there?
I suspect it’s a copy and paste job from Volvo... the manual also has how to care for your leather steering wheel... when it’s vegan. Reported to CS let’s see how long it takes to correct?

·
Registered
152 Posts
The rear tunnel USB ports seem to occupy a traditional 12V-sized space, so my best guess is that somewhere in development they made a change there. Though I’m actually super happy for all passengers to have access to USB-C charging, and the 12V in back for the odd auto accessory.
From the Volvo press blurb for 2021 XC40:
‘ Rear-seat passengers will enjoy faster and more convenient charging via a double 15-watt USB-C charging outlet in the rear of the tunnel console (this replaces the 12v outlet). ‘
also worth noting the 2021 XC40 still does have 12V on front console as well as in cargo area. I also spotted the fuse for front 12V in the manual for P*2, but we’ll need a wiring diagram to see if it is just a leftover fuse from XC40 fuse box (likely) or if they also retained the wiring in the snake that leads to front panel devices.

·
Registered
3 Posts
However, it does have constant power, but only when the car is running, so the outlet is turned off when the key is removed, and the car is not running.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I need to install a plug and drive module in order to qualify for cheaper insurance. It requires a 12v socket ( cigarette lighter connection) but the module says that it shouldn’t be fitted in the boot . Any ideas?

·
Registered
286 Posts
You could get a USB-C to 12V socket adaptor, and run it from one of the USB-C sockets at the front? I can't see why it shouldn't be fitted in a boot if it's under the hatch window so it can get GPS. In a traditional saloon boot it would struggle to get GPS. I'd be happy installing it under the rear hatch of the Polestar.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You could get a USB-C to 12V socket adaptor, and run it from one of the USB-C sockets at the front? I can't see why it shouldn't be fitted in a boot if it's under the hatch window so it can get GPS. In a traditional saloon boot it would struggle to get GPS. I'd be happy installing it under the rear hatch of the Polestar.
thanks. Might you send me slink to what a usb c / 12v socket adaptor looks like.

·
Registered
286 Posts
They're a bit tricky to find as most searches give you USB C sockets from a 12V supply, but here's one:

I've not got one so can't attest to how good it is! If you can find a similar one from a UK seller or Amazon then if it doesn't work, you can return it more easily.

·
Registered
140 Posts
You'd need to check if the sockets in the car are 'USB PD' capable or not otherwise that type of cable won't work. I strongly suspect they are not, but haven't tested this.

·
Registered
125 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
You'd need to check if the sockets in the car are 'USB PD' capable or not otherwise that type of cable won't work. I strongly suspect they are not, but haven't tested this.
Oohh that is an extremely good point. I have no idea if it would work at all, or just at reduced power, in that case.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts