Polestar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I am eyeing the purchase of a P*2 and would like to know your opinion on long range trips in a day.
I have been doing these pre-covid (in ICE) and will be doing them again crossing through Germany in a north-south direction.
I have seen the videos from Kris Rifa but the longest stretch he did in a single day was about 1200 km.
Anyone has done longer ? for those that have tried, do you think it is actually possible (summer/winter) ?
Thanks beforehand for your wisdom!

·
Registered
Ordered MY 2022 on Friday 13th of August! Long Range Dual-Motor, Snow/Nappa, Pilot, Plus, Tow hitch
197 Posts
I think if you're planning to regularly drive 1500 km in a day, then IMHO the Polestar might not be the best EV to be eyeing. It's a great car, but if sheer speed including charging over long distances is your main consideration, you might be better off with a (dare I say it?) Tesla 3 LR or something with 800V like a Taycan or a Kia EV6.
EDIT: 800V only if you have necessary infrastructure in place.
Just my two halfpenny-worth.

Here's a link to Teslabjørn's 1000km challenge sheet (be aware that the Tesla 3LR at the top and the Polestar PP much lower down were tested at very different temperatures, and the PP isn't the best Polestar for efficiency)

Reactions: Gizstar

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hey guys,
I am eyeing the purchase of a P*2 and would like to know your opinion on long range trips in a day.
I have been doing these pre-covid (in ICE) and will be doing them again crossing through Germany in a north-south direction.
I have seen the videos from Kris Rifa but the longest stretch he did in a single day was about 1200 km.
Anyone has done longer ? for those that have tried, do you think it is actually possible (summer/winter) ?
Thanks beforehand for your wisdom!
I've done about 800km in a day during winters and won't go any longer because I don't hate myself enough yet. 1000-1200 in summer would be an equivalent distance I'd think.

Worth noting is that I only had to wait 20 minutes for the car to charge during my 800ish km journey over 13 hours; other times, the car was ready to go before I was.

·
Registered
Ordered MY 2022 on Friday 13th of August! Long Range Dual-Motor, Snow/Nappa, Pilot, Plus, Tow hitch
197 Posts
I've done about 800km in a day during winters and won't go any longer because I don't hate myself enough yet. 1000-1200 in summer would be an equivalent distance I'd think.

Worth noting is that I only had to wait 20 minutes for the car to charge during my 800ish km journey over 13 hours; other times, the car was ready to go before I was.
Good answer, and I absolutely agree that the day starts to feel long after 13 hours! If you can plan your (150kw) charging stops around coffee/meal/shopping breaks, then yes, the car is usually ready first. Having said that, long distances in Norway are probably a slightly different ball game than in Germany. A major limiting factor here is the speed of the roads, meaning we cover long distances in a very long time, and the occasional lightning charging stop along the way is a welcome break, but if you're trying to put Autobahn km behind you and have to keep stopping for a 40 min. 80% charge, then the breaks become much more of an issue. The P2 ended up being my choice because when I drive long distances, they are usually on Norwegian roads and I can live with the very occasional European run and plan some extra overnight stopovers. It's also the perfect car for narrow, bendy roads. If I were primarily looking for an Autobahn car, then I would (sadly) have gone for something else. Reading some of the posts from our British cousins, I realise how lucky we are to have a relatively well-developed, lightning charging network (150kw+).

·
Super Moderator
1,510 Posts
Reading some of the posts from our British cousins, I realise how lucky we are to have a relatively well-developed, lightning charging network (150kw+).
German Autobahns are plastered with Ionity Chargers, usually every 150km. @Gizstar If you want to optimize for travel time, plan with 150km/h and calculate 20mins of charging every hour. Attached is a ABRP plan for crossing Germany from north to south in summer: 1050km in 10:42. Sounds doable when you're driving at night outside of holiday weekends, but I'm not sure, I'd want to do it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 P2, Magnesium/Charcoal, non-pp, 19"
117 Posts
I think if you're planning to regularly drive 1500 km in a day, then IMHO the Polestar might not be the best EV to be eyeing. It's a great car, but if sheer speed including charging over long distances is your main consideration, you might be better off with a (dare I say it?) Tesla 3 LR or something with 800V like a Taycan or a Kia EV6.
EDIT: 800V only if you have necessary infrastructure in place.
Just my two halfpenny-worth.

Here's a link to Teslabjørn's 1000km challenge sheet (be aware that the Tesla 3LR at the top and the Polestar PP much lower down were tested at very different temperatures, and the PP isn't the best Polestar for efficiency)
I sadly agree with you that for regularly 1500 km in a day tours, Tesla Model 3 LR (or Model S if budget allows) is the better choice. Based on Kris Rifa's tour, you probably need one more stop for charging when going 1500 km with the P2, so it would be a very long day. :-/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys! your replies are much appreciated! :)
I also have been using ABRP to try to guess route, stops etc etc.
Yes I know it can be a lot of work, was wondering if the frequent stops could help with the fatigue.
On the subject, how much do you feel is ABRP reliable in term of number of stops on a long trip with the P*2 ?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
thanks guys! your replies are much appreciated! :)
I also have been using ABRP to try to guess route, stops etc etc.
Yes I know it can be a lot of work, was wondering if the frequent stops could help with the fatigue.
On the subject, how much do you feel is ABRP reliable in term of number of stops on a long trip with the P*2 ?
Depends on what you set the consumption at and how you drive.

I set mine to 325w/mi and I drive at 75mph (so 70mph real speed) max and it works fine. You'll need to set to 365-375 for winter ... there is the option to use the car's current data, but then I find it seems to think the GOM is telling the truth ... which it isn't.

Reactions: rmi616 and Gizstar

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
3,059 Posts
You'll need to change the defaults on ABRP as I think the default value is way too optimistic for the Polestar 2 - a search around the forum should unearth some more realistic efficiency figures.

·
Super Moderator
1,510 Posts
You'll need to change the defaults on ABRP as I think the default value is way too optimistic for the Polestar 2 - a search around the forum should unearth some more realistic efficiency figures.
Or set ABRP to live data to use your actual consumption.
Product Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel

Reactions: rgledhill

·
Super Moderator
1,510 Posts
As ABRP usually only recommends charging up to ~60% (presumably to improve charging time and assuming enough chargers en route) the number of charging stops is usally spot on. Not so much on the actual charging times as these depend on the SoC you started the leg with as well as your driving style and traffic.

I am only using ABRP for the inital trip planning, though. The legs are then planned with GM by transfering the next stop from ABRP to GM. I have found out that I can safely leave a charger when Google predicts 5% SoC for the next charger, usually arriving with ~10%.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts