Polestar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks for the detailed advice and suggestions..

PHL it is and the only options I see are a few L2 chargers that are difficult to find according to recent reviews. In any case, I would definitely pre-condition (and pre-drive) but I am aiming to get there just in time for the flight. It is never perfect but more often than not, I just have to circle around the airport once or twice before heading back. Moreover, it can also go the other way as this specific flight has a tendency to arrive 20-30 minutes early (including last night).

Granted this is the first time I'm making the trip since the pandemic but I do not want to factor a safety-car stop into the trip planning vs. ICE.

Last point on the topic: I charged from 62% to 100% last night and it used took 30.60 kWh for the 60 miles driven. 15 miles were local, 45 highway. I did not pre-condition before setting out but did a short local drive.
60 mi/30.6 kWh x 1.15 (charging loss) = 2.25 mi/kWh or 44.4 kWh/100 mi.

Range (full 75 kWh usable) = 168 mi
Range (100-10%) = 152 mi

You’ll probably need to charge if you drive similarly to your previous drive, though efficiency should increase as you drive farther (but keeping speed reasonable).

·
Registered
2021 2
1,734 Posts
PHL it is
My condolences

But seriously, looking at PlugShare made me realize how uniquely built out our infrastructure is here - posting maps of CCS 120+kW chargers at the same scale in the Bay Area (top) and the Philly-NYC area. The charger density does not reflect the population density at all.
I do think the whole nation will soon have the fast charger density we have here, with the Acela corridor and Great Lakes being the next up, but it's going to take a few years.

·
Registered
425 Posts
That Allentown charger bank was my first attempted (and failed) charge after picking up my car in NY. My introduction to the EA Signet issue. Fortunately there is an Audi dealer not far away that had a 50kW charger nearby that they let me use for free. Dunkin Donuts across the parking lot. It was a valuable, yet tasty lesson. :)

·
Registered
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
1,994 Posts
You have no idea how much I fancy a doughnut now!!!

Reactions: Mick

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Then there's NH and VT.

Reactions: polerad

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've driven mine 100+ miles in one go and find I get around 2 miles per % charge at the end of the trip (less when I'm driving fast or aggressive like I'm still 16) and I've only ever had the car with temps in the 30-40s (Fahrenheit). The car is usually driven, then charged to 90% (and preheated if necessary) so maybe that's why I'm not losing a substantial amount on the offset? I do find if I don't preheat it pushes like 125-130kwh/100 miles at the onset but drops pretty rapidly but I'm curious how much % we lose heating up the battery.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have to pick someone up from the airport in a few days. The round trip will be just under 180 miles, 90% highway, not expecting much traffic and no significant elevation changes, 0C/33F.

Would it be unwise to try it on a single (100%) charge? Assume normal climate control, but OPD off. There are chargers at the airport but it will be late at night and I'd rather not stop. If it is too risky, I will just take the ICE car.

I've read all the range projections based on short trips but has anyone been on a continuous run from 100% to near 0 recently?

Bonus: there is section of the highway with a 75mph speed limit...
@FirstEV, I'm obviously late to the party, but after having driven in plenty of sub-zero temperatures (Celcius), 180 miles (290km) is doable but you won't have much margin left at the end. Also, if you're planning to park the car halfway through in cold, the margin would be reduced further. I'm personally risk averse and like to have a few kWh in the tank for any emergencies, and would plug the car for some minutes at any point during the journey.

As an anecdote, I recently drove 120km in temperatures between -8 and -17, with one long stop in -17, and got an overall range of around 294km (considering 75kWh net battery), and average consumption going down with every minute driven. But I drove like a grandma half of the journey.

P.S.: the car was left on for some time during my halfway point stop (but IIRC I didn't have HVAC on). Hence, the average speed is quite low.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Maybe the Biden administration will put quick chargers at all the airports. It's so logical to charge while waiting for a text from your passenger.
This is an excellent idea. They have a texting lot already. So long as the spots don't get iced.

OP: as others have said, keep your speed and heater down and you should have no issue making 180 miles from a 100% fill up. Put your destinations in Google and it will give you a reasonable estimate of your arrival %.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Sorry to disappoint everyone but I took the ICE. What settled it for me when I went out for a short battery-warming drive a few hours before the trip, it used up 10% for 10 miles at 41F. When I came back to top-up the last few % were excruciatingly slow (the last 1% was estimated to take 4 hours but completed sooner). With nighttime temps well below freezing I decided to go old school.

It worked out really well as:

1) I didn't have to worry about the speed limit on the generous stretch of highway with a 70mph limit​
2) The flight was delayed before I left home so it would have been difficult to gauge how much charging time I would have. Note: the pilot made up for most of the delay in the air.​
3) I was hardly at the airport for 10 minutes before turning around.​

It would have taken me longer to find the L2 charger than to get any charging time. I actually did try to find it (for a future trip) while waiting and missed the one parking entrance that goes through the maze of structures to the charger and had to circle the entire airport. The second time I got through to the right place but some of the parking rows were blocked and I didn't have time to go around them to find the charger bank.

I know I shouldn't say this here but the experience felt oddly liberating, especially when I was flying +7 on the empty highway thinking "take that PS!" :)

·
Registered
California
311 Posts
Maybe the Biden administration will put quick chargers at all the airports. It's so logical to charge while waiting for a text from your passenger.
SFO is our nation’s only privately-owned international airport, so I don’t think they’d get much say in that for us specifically!

·
Registered
208 Posts
What settled it for me when I went out for a short battery-warming drive a few hours before the trip
This is completely unnecessary IMO; one could have used the same time to charge at the stopover.

it used up 10% for 10 miles at 41F. When I came back to top-up the last few % were excruciatingly slow (the last 1% was estimated to take 4 hours but completed sooner)
this probably surprises no EV user, especially us lot.

Take a chance at P*2 next time! :)

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Sorry to disappoint everyone but I took the ICE. What settled it for me when I went out for a short battery-warming drive a few hours before the trip, it used up 10% for 10 miles at 41F. When I came back to top-up the last few % were excruciatingly slow (the last 1% was estimated to take 4 hours but completed sooner). With nighttime temps well below freezing I decided to go old school.

1) I didn't have to worry about the speed limit on the generous stretch of highway with a 70mph limit​
2) The flight was delayed before I left home so it would have been difficult to gauge how much charging time I would have. Note: the pilot made up for most of the delay in the air.​

It would have taken me longer to find the L2 charger than to get any charging time. I actually did try to find it (for a future trip) while waiting and missed the one parking entrance that goes through the maze of structures to the charger and had to circle the entire airport. The second time I got through to the right place but some of the parking rows were blocked and I didn't have time to go around them to find the charger bank.

I know I shouldn't say this here but the experience felt oddly liberating, especially when I was flying +7 on the empty highway thinking "take that PS!" :)

View attachment 3968
Understandable. It was a stretch in the winter.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
This is completely unnecessary IMO; one could have used the same time to charge at the stopover.

this probably surprises no EV user, especially us lot.

Take a chance at P*2 next time! :)
That is the plan! Not sure when that will happen but I have already picked a name for the post: "To PHL and Back". :)

·
Registered
2021 2
1,734 Posts

View attachment 3968
FWIW I totally sympathize. Had a similar experience seeing limited range in my P*2 on a day trip and then that free-ing sensation when taking my ICE for a short trip to exercise its 12V and engine. I don't have range anxiety but more range annoyance. But I feel like the annoyance will prevent the EV transition to take hold at least in N America.

We can all tell ourselves that we'll be fine and for >95% of our drives range is not an issue and that last <5% it will be a minimal annoyance. And we'll deal with that minimal annoyance as we're enthusiasts. But if EVs are meant to get beyond the EV enthusiast early adopters into the general population, we'll need for @FirstEV to make it to PHL and back easily in the winter (180mi highway speeds), and for me to make it to Sonoma and back in 10-15C mostly dry weather (190-200mi, going up to ~85mph on the highways).

It's going to take a combination of battery density improvements, more aero efficient designs, and charging infrastructure improvements. At least for N American habits we're not quite there yet for the general consumer.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I think what's needed right now, highest priority, are plentiful, reliable, charging locations.
The more the better. At least we know they are coming now.

And then of course there is the icing problem. Very disturbing. We need laws with teeth. Like maybe you can send a picture to the authorities of an ICE and it's license plate parked in an EV charging spot and it automatically triggers a fine.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
FWIW I totally sympathize. Had a similar experience seeing limited range in my P*2 on a day trip and then that free-ing sensation when taking my ICE for a short trip to exercise its 12V and engine. I don't have range anxiety but more range annoyance. But I feel like the annoyance will prevent the EV transition to take hold at least in N America.

We can all tell ourselves that we'll be fine and for >95% of our drives range is not an issue and that last <5% it will be a minimal annoyance. And we'll deal with that minimal annoyance as we're enthusiasts. But if EVs are meant to get beyond the EV enthusiast early adopters into the general population, we'll need for @FirstEV to make it to PHL and back easily in the winter (180mi highway speeds), and for me to make it to Sonoma and back in 10-15C mostly dry weather (190-200mi, going up to ~85mph on the highways).

It's going to take a combination of battery density improvements, more aero efficient designs, and charging infrastructure improvements. At least for N American habits we're not quite there yet for the general consumer.
Well put! This applies to my situation. This car is primarily for local trips so I ignore the range, 60+ consumption on a day to day basis. Where it hurts is that I placed my order after the range had been adjusted down to 230, thinking even at 190-200, that would be sufficient for a trip to most of the places I visit on occasion.

One more thing I enjoyed about the drive was the lack of the buffeting sensation I've been feeling at 40+ in the PS2. I've been through a few car wash cycles and there are no leaks so I don't know what else could be causing it but it is palpable. I have even tried driving with one window slightly open but surprisingly that doesn't cause the same feeling.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I have even tried driving with one window slightly open but surprisingly that doesn't cause the same feeling.
Make sure all your windows are actually fully closed. They sometimes come down a little when you close the doors because of the tight seal. You can manually put them up fully (with the buttons :)).

21 - 40 of 58 Posts