Polestar Forum banner

180 Miles on a charge. Feasible or Fools Errand?

5K views 57 replies 16 participants last post by  JRRF 
#1 ·
I have to pick someone up from the airport in a few days. The round trip will be just under 180 miles, 90% highway, not expecting much traffic and no significant elevation changes, 0C/33F.

Would it be unwise to try it on a single (100%) charge? Assume normal climate control, but OPD off. There are chargers at the airport but it will be late at night and I'd rather not stop. If it is too risky, I will just take the ICE car.

I've read all the range projections based on short trips but has anyone been on a continuous run from 100% to near 0 recently?

Bonus: there is section of the highway with a 75mph speed limit...

#3 ·
quick q: 19" or 20" wheels? PP or noPP?

Else, agreed with StarPole - stick to 60s, max low 70s speed. Charge from 100% and precondition on charger before going. Use seat heater only if needed.

In similar temperatures on hilly roads I managed to get efficiency predicting ~200 mi range. Main thing is going slower than you want.

Reactions: ProfessorCook
#4 ·
I have to pick someone up from the airport in a few days. The round trip will be just under 180 miles, 90% highway, not expecting much traffic and no significant elevation changes, 0C/33F.

Would it be unwise to try it on a single (100%) charge? Assume normal climate control, but OPD off. There are chargers at the airport but it will be late at night and I'd rather not stop. If it is too risky, I will just take the ICE car.

I've read all the range projections based on short trips but has anyone been on a continuous run from 100% to near 0 recently?

I charge to 80% normally, range readout is 180 miles, and I'd say we get pretty close to that consistently. A 100% charge should give you a range readout in the neighborhood of 230mi, which is a pretty sizable buffer. Wouldn't worry about it too much, and eyeball a DC fast charger you can use as a contingency plan on the return trip if you're feeling nervous. Shouldn't need more than 15 minutes @ 150kw to add adequate range if you do feel like a top up.

#5 ·
Hard to say, you could end up having to lap the airport or park somewhere if they get held up when the plane lands.

Shouldn't need more than 15 minutes @ 150kw to add adequate range if you do feel like a top up.
This. If you're getting low, 15 mins at a 150kw will get you back with range to spare.

#8 ·
yeah the main options are:
1- Drive like you want, just leave some time to charge at the airport. You only need like 10-15% buffer, don't need to fill up. So 20 min charge (if it's a fast charger?) would do it.
2- Drive like it's monthly quota time for the local underfunded police dept, at least going. If you're really good you can fit in a couple bursts to impress your friend once you're in the clear range wise near home.

#11 ·
After having tested range limits with my T**** in similar situations, I’m with PolestarMG. Just figure out where some DC fast chargers are on the return path, so if range isn’t looking great you know where to top up. I’ve often been pleasantly surprised.

If it’s a regular route and you’ve identified the good spots for DC fast charge, then time of year won’t matter so much. If it doesn’t work out for whatever reason you always have that mental accounting of where you could stop.

#12 ·
Real world average for February so far is 184 miles from 32 recorded trips on polestardriver.com. Average from US submitted trips is 185 miles but that is only based on 3 trips all less than 50 miles and average temperature of 16C (60F). Add your trip(s) to help with future calculations.

#13 ·
If below 40F then 180 miles might be it's limit - best to plan a charge. (assuming pre-heating and pre-charging the last 10% before leaving) - Or drive at 60mph.

If between 40-50F ... if you preheat and charge the car the last 10% an hour before you leave, then yes you should make it, keeping to 75mph or lower.

If over 50F then yes no problem you should make it with 30+ miles to spare, keeping to all speed limits - i.e. no driving at 85mph! ;-)

Once you are past the 50mile mark you should be hitting 35kWh/100 or less ... if you are around 37 you should still be ok as it will keep dropping.

You will make it to the airport ... if your kwh/100mi is not less than 35kWh then you need to find a charger on the way home ... you won't need more than 10mins eve on a 50kWh charger.

#14 ·
And ignore the remaining range indicator on the car! The quickest way will be to drive more slowly as it will add maybe 5-10 minutes to the drive, where as finding, connecting, starting and charging a charge will add 15+ minutes.

Feels close, but I'd be tempted to go for it and get the (sad) thrill of seeing a fast charge happening on the chargers while you're waiting for the plane to land. I wouldn't consider a charge on the way back as whoever you're picking up won't thank you and will be turned off to EVs!

#16 ·
I did a test run of the first leg of the journey today and kept an eye on Google Maps for the SOC at arrival. TL/DR: the best I saw was an estimate of 50% consumption for the 82mile route which makes me nervous because I am budgeting about 180 for the trip, not the 164 touch-and-go that would take 100% per Google Maps.

As I mentioned in the original post, my priority is convenience, especially since I will be picking up someone elderly who is not in the best of health. I am still tempted to try this tomorrow and am charging the car to 100%. My plan would be to drive a little a few hours before setting off to warm the battery and then charging to 100%. But considering the temperature and the time to get the last few % charged, I don't know if that will make a difference.

Please review the data below and let me know if I should take the ICE. If the situation were different I would have gone early and spent time charging at the airport or on the way. However, it is a late flight on a weeknight and as it is I will be returning past midnight and do not want to prolong the journey unnecessarily.

On a positive note, as suggested in several posts, consumption improved after the first 20 highway miles to the point I was down to 33 kWh/100mi.

The car was at 100% to start the day and I went out for a really short drive (< 3 miles) which brought me down to 95%.
Note: not sure why the temp reads 41. This might have been from the garage because it was around 33 the rest of the trip.

I reset the TM when I set off.

I stopped for less than 10 minutes to test an EA Signet 350 kW charger (still doesn't work).

Return journey on the same route with the best consumption numbers I have ever seen.

Personal best, but is it enough?

Bonus: some local driving 2 hours after the long trip and consumption back to "normal".

#17 ·
The data looks right, you started high then it dropped. The car uses a ton of energy to heat the car and battery.

You don't mention if you used the Pre-heat function or not. By the first reading I'd say not.

Also cabin HVAC temp does make a difference, could you drop to 68F (20C)?

Using the car before and charging to 100% before you leave will help.

Google underestimates, if you drive a few miles at 65mph you'll see destination % go up.

Finally I understand its late at night, but there is no way you are not waiting at least 15mins for them at the airport.

A 90+ min drive means you have an ETA landing time so will need to allow time for a early landing.

Are there really no chargers just before or at the airport? Even a 15min charge at 50kwh would be way more than enough. In fact even an 11kw charge would give a few 3-5% for 15mins.

Find the stations, download apps, create accounts, etc... If needed. Do some research.

When I collect people to save on extortionate parking fees, I'll often wait at a local service station and watch the App to see when the plane really landed. The I know its 30-45mins until they are out. Then 5 mind before (or if I get the call they cleared customs) I'll drive up.

No reason I couldn't be charging while waiting.

#18 ·
IIRC you said you were in PA.

Checking out PlugShare:
At Newark (EWR), there's the Electrify America station at The Mills at Jersey Garden, where user glennp (who I think is a Polestar engineer) reports he was able to charge a Polestar 1 alright so hopefully should mean Polestar 2 should be alright. This is basically in Polestar USA HQ's back yard so CS should be able to tell you about that station specifically.

Philadelphia (PHL) is a bit of a wasteland, per its usual, though there is a nearby ChargePoint at a Royal Farms that seems to work but slowly. Even 15-20 min here should give you enough buffer.

Near Pittsburgh (PIT) looks like there's a Dunkin Donuts with an EVGo station that seems functional although slow (~35kW), although that should be good enough to top up some in 15-20 min. Plus donuts!

If it were me, I'd take the EV. Charge to 100% and precondition at home. Try to go light on the accelerator while going. Plan 15-20 min charging at the fastest charger nearest to the airport while waiting for them to land and make their way out. Then show off the EV's acceleration a bit on the way home.

#20 ·
Thanks for the detailed advice and suggestions..

PHL it is and the only options I see are a few L2 chargers that are difficult to find according to recent reviews. In any case, I would definitely pre-condition (and pre-drive) but I am aiming to get there just in time for the flight. It is never perfect but more often than not, I just have to circle around the airport once or twice before heading back. Moreover, it can also go the other way as this specific flight has a tendency to arrive 20-30 minutes early (including last night).

Granted this is the first time I'm making the trip since the pandemic but I do not want to factor a safety-car stop into the trip planning vs. ICE.

Last point on the topic: I charged from 62% to 100% last night and it used took 30.60 kWh for the 60 miles driven. 15 miles were local, 45 highway. I did not pre-condition before setting out but did a short local drive.

#23 ·
That Allentown charger bank was my first attempted (and failed) charge after picking up my car in NY. My introduction to the EA Signet issue. Fortunately there is an Audi dealer not far away that had a 50kW charger nearby that they let me use for free. Dunkin Donuts across the parking lot. It was a valuable, yet tasty lesson. :)

#26 ·
I've driven mine 100+ miles in one go and find I get around 2 miles per % charge at the end of the trip (less when I'm driving fast or aggressive like I'm still 16) and I've only ever had the car with temps in the 30-40s (Fahrenheit). The car is usually driven, then charged to 90% (and preheated if necessary) so maybe that's why I'm not losing a substantial amount on the offset? I do find if I don't preheat it pushes like 125-130kwh/100 miles at the onset but drops pretty rapidly but I'm curious how much % we lose heating up the battery.

#29 · (Edited)

@FirstEV, I'm obviously late to the party, but after having driven in plenty of sub-zero temperatures (Celcius), 180 miles (290km) is doable but you won't have much margin left at the end. Also, if you're planning to park the car halfway through in cold, the margin would be reduced further. I'm personally risk averse and like to have a few kWh in the tank for any emergencies, and would plug the car for some minutes at any point during the journey.

As an anecdote, I recently drove 120km in temperatures between -8 and -17, with one long stop in -17, and got an overall range of around 294km (considering 75kWh net battery), and average consumption going down with every minute driven. But I drove like a grandma half of the journey.

P.S.: the car was left on for some time during my halfway point stop (but IIRC I didn't have HVAC on). Hence, the average speed is quite low.

#31 ·
Sorry to disappoint everyone but I took the ICE. What settled it for me when I went out for a short battery-warming drive a few hours before the trip, it used up 10% for 10 miles at 41F. When I came back to top-up the last few % were excruciatingly slow (the last 1% was estimated to take 4 hours but completed sooner). With nighttime temps well below freezing I decided to go old school.

It worked out really well as:

1) I didn't have to worry about the speed limit on the generous stretch of highway with a 70mph limit​
2) The flight was delayed before I left home so it would have been difficult to gauge how much charging time I would have. Note: the pilot made up for most of the delay in the air.​
3) I was hardly at the airport for 10 minutes before turning around.​

It would have taken me longer to find the L2 charger than to get any charging time. I actually did try to find it (for a future trip) while waiting and missed the one parking entrance that goes through the maze of structures to the charger and had to circle the entire airport. The second time I got through to the right place but some of the parking rows were blocked and I didn't have time to go around them to find the charger bank.

I know I shouldn't say this here but the experience felt oddly liberating, especially when I was flying +7 on the empty highway thinking "take that PS!" :)

#33 ·
What settled it for me when I went out for a short battery-warming drive a few hours before the trip
This is completely unnecessary IMO; one could have used the same time to charge at the stopover.

it used up 10% for 10 miles at 41F. When I came back to top-up the last few % were excruciatingly slow (the last 1% was estimated to take 4 hours but completed sooner)
this probably surprises no EV user, especially us lot.

Take a chance at P*2 next time! :)

#42 ·
Yeah. I sometimes think that I'm not really an early adopter here. The i3, the Volt, Prius, Teslas... EVs are not new in this country. But when you look around for fast chargers, it's such a random, weird, disorganized mess... Then I realize we're all on the leading edge here still.

Reactions: Mick
#43 ·
Teslas had/have their own network which is why they flourished. The i3 and Volt gave the true EV experience but on training wheels because they had backup engines when needed. The Prius I barely consider even in the EV league. The engine was still the main propulsion system. Even today a lot of the PHEVs don't operate like real EVs. The only way to get pure EV driving out of most is to go very light on the pedal. Otherwise you still get the engine kicking in.

#44 ·
If I had to do the OP's trip today ... I would defiantly go for it and probably make it no problem.

However, if I had to do it before I took my Xmas trip, I would have been very worried and cautious too!

You need an understating on how the car works on a long trip, and without that long trip experience you lack the data to know that you can (or can't) make it.

I suggest to the OP as soon as you can take a trip away where you are not worried if it takes 4 of 6 hours. Plan some charging stops, have at least once back up for each stop, and then Go.
Once completed you'll have a greater understanding on how far the car will based on your driving style. If you go fast ... go fast ... if you like braking late and hard, do it, etc... only once you have done that first trip will you have the data you need to plan future trips.

#46 ·
In hindsight my first trip ever in my car being 1100 mi. was a trial by fire and probably more risky than I would have thought. I had to learn very quickly but now I'm glad I did it. I have no range anxiety at all - I just know I need to plan and have a backup as well. And it's the worst it will be now, charging infrastructure will improve, the car will be tweaked through software at least, and the incompatibilities will be fixed (read: Signet chargers).

#49 ·
I think if you plan to charge at 20%, that gives plenty of buffer for bouncing around to other chargers if the first one doesn't work for you.

It is all a bit of an adventure, but I'm ok with it and hope things will get much better quickly.

Reactions: GDank
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.