Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Polestar gets delivered on Wednesday and I’m still yet to have a home charger fitted (Booked for 2nd Feb), whilst I will still use InstaVolt for reliable public charging how are people charging at home without a wall box?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
magnesium/slate/19"/tow/18xxx
138 Posts
Exciting times!

When it comes to home chargers, the general advice is to start out withOUT a wall box. If you're not driving more than 50 miles / 75 km per day, you can get away with the "complementary" granny charger.
Even if you suddenly need to cover more distance, it is very likely you will come across fast chargers or low-cost slow chargers en route / the destination. And you can test that for free with the charge pass from Polestar for the first year(s) (here in BE it's PlugSurfing, not sure what the fellows in the UK receive).

Eagerly awaiting a picture of your new baby ;-)

Have fun!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exciting times!

When it comes to home chargers, the general advice is to start out withOUT a wall box. If you're not driving more than 50 miles / 75 km per day, you can get away with the "complementary" granny charger.
Even if you suddenly need to cover more distance, it is very likely you will come across fast chargers or low-cost slow chargers en route / the destination. And you can test that for free with the charge pass from Polestar for the first year(s) (here in BE it's PlugSurfing, not sure what the fellows in the UK receive).

Send us a picture of your new baby please ;-)

Have fun!
Thanks looking forward to it! Will upload some pics upon arrival!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thanks looking forward to it! Will upload some pics upon arrival!
I've had the car a few months, still charging with a 13amp socket. My delay in getting a new charger is the builder and electrician wanting to do all the wiring work together when the kitchen is rewired for lighting. COVID 19 delaying the builder, and honestly, I'm not doing many miles in the car at present. On 7 hours of off-peak overnight, you should raise the charge by 14KWHr. So it all depends on the milage you wish to do.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,877 Posts
Hmm, sorry, I really have to disagree with that!! If you have a place at home to put a wall charger, then definitely do so. The sheer nuisance and faff of having to plug in the granny charger every few days would send most people to dispair, unless you have a large enough garage that you can leave the granny charger plugged into a 13A socket and plug it in all the time. Also remember that you will only get at best about 2.4kW from it, which means it will take around 35-40 hours to fully charge the battery - you can forget overnight charges!

The vast majority of EV owners will have a wallbox fitted at home (unless you have a guaranteed 7kW charging post somewhere nearby in a city) and only use rapid chargers when on longer journeys. Apart from anything else you lose all the benefits of cheap charging if you rely on rapid chargers (unless of course you have free charging from one of them...... ;)), plus it's far better for the battery to use frequent top-ups of slow charging (e.g. 30-90% overnight) than rapid charging.

Other people, feel free to add your thoughts as maybe I'm alone on this one, but I suspect not...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm, sorry, I really have to disagree with that!! If you have a place at home to put a wall charger, then definitely do so. The sheer nuisance and faff of having to plug in the granny charger every few days would send most people to dispair, unless you have a large enough garage that you can leave the granny charger plugged into a 13A socket and plug it in all the time. Also remember that you will only get at best about 2.4kW from it, which means it will take around 35-40 hours to fully charge the battery - you can forget overnight charges!

The vast majority of EV owners will have a wallbox fitted at home (unless you have a guaranteed 7kW charging post somewhere nearby in a city) and only use rapid chargers when on longer journeys. Apart from anything else you lose all the benefits of cheap charging if you rely on rapid chargers (unless of course you have free charging from one of them...... ;)), plus it's far better for the battery to use frequent top-ups of slow charging (e.g. 30-90% overnight) than rapid charging.

Other people, feel free to add your thoughts as maybe I'm alone on this one, but I suspect not...
Thanks! It’s only a few weeks away for the home charger installation, with this lockdown I doubt I will be going far!.... (maybe just to show the car off 😂) looks like I will be using the granny charger for the time being, Starbucks up the road has a rapid so a quick coffee and charge once a week should do for the moment!

·
Registered
138 Posts
My point is that 50 miles requires a top-up of 20 kWh in winter conditions, which will take 9 hours on the granny charger, being 10 PM to 7 AM. Then a standard outdoor wall socket is enough. If the socket is not on a practical distance from the car this is a non-discussion of course.
If you have to cover more than 50m/day 5 times a week without charging at your destination, then also this is not a viable approach.

In my opinion you don't have to immediately go for a wall box without considering if you can get by with a standard socket. The 1K €/£/$ for a wall box can buy you a heap of kWhs, especially outside Belgium (0.23€/kWh on average here).
If the practicality or the daily distance is an issue, then by all means go for a wall box.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I am no expert but we made the decision if we were spending the money on the car and as we have the space to put a home charge point in was a no-brainer. The cost per kw/h is quite different for home electricity versus chargers on the road based on my minimal research. But it is definitely horses for courses... @KingRollo does have an interesting perspective that I never considered. Saying that when this crazy pandemic is over and I am back in London I will be 90 miles a day abs combined with the odd long trip thrown into the mix it wasn’t really up for discussion. Good discussion perspective for sure though.

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2
615 Posts
Hi @Nathan Piper and congrats on your impending delivery. All perspectives on this valid so do get the granny charger argument for very low mile use but this doesn’t work for all. I was lucky enough to get a Zappi unit installed a few weeks before my car landed and at no cost to yours truly. The ability to juice up at 7kw every few days has made things so much easier. In fact, besides just trying out a near free public charger I have not used any of the paid for networks.

You will be glad your install is only a few weeks after the delivery of your car.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,877 Posts
I agree that for a very few people, not getting a wall box would make financial sense. It was the "General advice is..." bit that I took issue with :). For a few percent of people it will work just fine without.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My fault for trying to assess the situation in the UK... Here you can swap the 1-phase connection of your house to the grid for a 3-phase connection fairly easily. Install red CEE socket (€20) and buy the official 3-phase cable (€450). Result: 11kW charging solution for a comparable price to the 7kW charging station solution.

Now I understand the issue with the "general advice" bit... apologies, @rgledhill

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks Dave, familiar with my surrounding rapids, was unsure on people’s home charge options without a wall box, mine is due to be fitted the 2nd feb!
I used the granny charger for a few weeks until I could have my EO Mini installed. It was fine...not doing a lot of driving at the moment though either.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It is an interesting thought to just use the granny charger.

I hopefully get my P*2 in Feb and due to the location of my fusebox/distribution board I cannot get a standard installation (its in the middle of the house and the car parking area is a fair distance away). I am home based for work and will always have good warning of long work trips so using the granny charger and perhaps the local 50Kw charger in town might be enough to keep me going when I need it, though as I started my job the week before Lockdown 1 in the UK I don't really know what my travel plans are going to be like when the world sorts itself out!

However, on the other side of things I am also looking at getting a hot tub installed which is going to need external wiring points installed so I might be able to kill two birds with one stone and get both done at the same time! Best call an electrician and get some quotes!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
What's a granny charger? Is it the one where you have a Schuko socket?
Its the UK 3-Pin plug and charger.

Its called a Granny as in Grandparent... Because its really slow.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Its called a Granny as in Grandparent... Because its really slow.
I thought it was because it was the cable you took with you to your granny's house? :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts