Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Polestar 2, Snow, non-PP, Tow bar
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Got this once when reversing. I can't reproduce it. The 360 camera function just flunked out. Came back the next time I turned the car on. My car has an older Oct 2020 software version.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Strange. Have you tried resetting? I don't have a car yet, but I think you hold down the Home button for 20 seconds or something like that.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I had this after towing. It fixed itself on the next drive.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,888 Posts
Yup. It's in the sticky message of issues etc :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
View attachment 2093

Got this once when reversing. I can't reproduce it. The 360 camera function just flunked out. Came back the next time I turned the car on. My car has an older Oct 2020 software version.
I raised this in a separate thread. It started out as intermittent for me but then became permanent even after re-setting. The car is going back for one of it's many recalls next week so hopefully they will fix it then

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I get this at least once every time I've driven the car. My infotainment version is from Sept. I'm going in for an update later this month. Maybe that'll fix it once I'm updated to the 1st Nov software. Such are the thing us early adopters have to accept :)

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,871 Posts
Not so much 360* camera error, more almost useless.
I drive a fair bit down very narrow country lanes. They have a 60mph speed limit but are wide enough for 1 car, with sporadic passing areas where the road widens. Not been a problem in my last 3 cars. Reversing to a passing area was fine even at night, with good reversing lights & the 360* camera. But in the P2 I've been hoping that grandma in her Hyundai takes the lead & reverses first. It's so tricky! Yes, I clean the cameras regularly but even when clean they're much worse than cheaper Lexus's & VW I've had driven in recent years. And the reversing light seems to offer very little help. Is it less bright than most cars? This will be something I'll have to get used to over the next 4 years. Driving on narrower, muckier roads, and without a home driveway where parking in tighter spots is a daily neccessity, it will affect me more than most.
Seems weird that they didn't do a great job on the 360* camera as the headlights are so amazing.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
The rear camera is is style over efficiency. The location makes it so vulnerable to spray from the rear.

Plus the resolution is terrible.

My 2018 Kia Stinger had a better 360 system. You could even pick front/back left/right wheel to view. Polestar I get one side view where neither wheel is visible.

The rear camera and 360 in general is definitely one of the weakest parts.

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
765 Posts
The rear camera is is style over efficiency. The location makes it so vulnerable to spray from the rear.

Plus the resolution is terrible.

My 2018 Kia Stinger had a better 360 system. You could even pick front/back left/right wheel to view. Polestar I get one side view where neither wheel is visible.

The rear camera and 360 in general is definitely one of the weakest parts.
Unfortunately, because of the entire wing mirror moving, it's not possible (or at least a lot more difficult) to mount the camera on the mirror.

Because of this, the cameras are mounted closer to the body, so it just can't see the wheels.

That's a shame really.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was at a dinner at my sister last night and in order to get to their house you have to reverse down a pretty steep hill (not possible to turn the car in front of the house) and the road (100meters or so) is narrow as h...
The road has a hedge on one side and the other side has a few brick walls on and off in perfect height to really mess up your car. And of couse it was pitch black and raining.

using the mirrors / back window : not a chance, Couldnt see anything
using the 360 ended up with me correcting way to much so the car went zigzaging down and giving me nervous ticks when i closed in on the first brickwall. The hedge side was very fuzzy as if the side camera couldnt decipher what was there. bailed on that try as well and was starting to get annoyed and embarrased at the same time.
clicked back camera only and the reversing was a walk in the park.

·
Super Moderator
2,888 Posts
Back camera only is far more useful in most situations, I agree. I'm fast coming to the conclusion that the 360 option is just a gimmick.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just went out to have a look at mine - there's a couple of torx screws either side of it so I wonder if an extra bit of plastic (aftermarket? homebrew?) could be added to help shield/protect the camera from some of the spray?

Reactions: Terran

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I had the Volvo XC90 temporarily for a few days, I found the 360 cameras worked better compared the ones on my P*2. I'd have thought they would be exactly the same camera system, though? Maybe due to the size of the XC90 and the position of the cameras it gave the illusion of being better? Not sure. I was driving through some unlit, very dark country lanes in the P*2 the other day and took a wrong turn and had to reverse into a side road to turn the car around. The 360 camera was essentially useless. They should really integrate IR lamps into the camera system just like any decent home security IP camera system. It would better than nothing. I'll have to test out the rear camera mode in low light.

·
Super Moderator
2,888 Posts
Someone was talking about swapping out the rear light for an LED one (or brighter LED one if it's already LED) - any idea if that went anywhere?

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Reactions: Terran

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
I drive a fair bit down very narrow country lanes. They have a 60mph speed limit but are wide enough for 1 car, with sporadic passing areas where the road widens.
I've had the privilege and good fortune to drive in over 20 countries including Brazil, Spain, Switzerland, and Italy. I've driven in Rome, Paris, London, and New York City. By far the most challenging driving I've done anywhere has been in these sorts of roads in South West England and Ireland. With much controversy, I have often contended that the best drivers in the world are those that manage in those conditions on a daily basis.

·
Registered
535 Posts
has been in these sorts of roads in South West England and Ireland. With much controversy, I have often contended that the best drivers in the world are those that manage in those conditions on a daily basis.
I manage on a daily basis by avoiding single track roads in Devon and Cornwall as much as I can! Only when I moved to this area did I develop a new car habit of T-Cutting one half of my car (the side that regularly gets buried in those high Devon hedges on single track roads). My (vindictive?) satnav in my last car used to like trying to take me down the smallest roads imaginable .

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
On our family trip to Devon, my first time to the region, the car rental employee said "Oh! We can upgrade you to a larger car at no extra charge. Would you like that?"

We rented the roomier, wider car. That was a mistake!

Wife: "The mirror is hitting the hedge this side!"

Me: "Mine is, too!"

I did pay a bit extra so I didn't have to worry about scratched paint. I was very glad I did.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts