Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Void | PP | Slate+Black Ash | No tow | Stickerless | IGL Kenzo graphene coating
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cruising around with the Polestar on weekends, exploring new places while drinking a lot of coffee Corona style, is now a well-established habit in my household. The "beloved" rear coffee holder was not quite up for the job when doing hardcore coffee drinking, so I started messing around with a 3D print design.
This is the first version, and I will adjust the design a bit, make the holder deeper, and improve the fit. The holder is loose and can be placed from high up or in the middle of the console. It works very well as it is, and I put some felt on the to protect against scratches on the console. The idea here is to just have the holder lose in the car and put it on when going on longer trips.

Anyone else into 3d printing that wants to join in on improving the design? Or perhaps have other ideas on how to place a coffee holder in the car.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,085 Posts
Cruising around with the Polestar on weekends, exploring new places while drinking a lot of coffee Corona style, is now a well-established habit in my household. The "beloved" rear coffee holder was not quite up for the job when doing hardcore coffee drinking, so I started messing around with a 3D print design.
This is the first version, and I will adjust the design a bit, make the holder deeper, and improve the fit. The holder is loose and can be placed from high up or in the middle of the console. It works very well as it is, and I put some felt on the to protect against scratches on the console. The idea here is to just have the holder lose in the car and put it on when going on longer trips.

View attachment 4797

Anyone else into 3d printing that wants to join in on improving the design? Or perhaps have other ideas on how to place a coffee holder in the car.
brilliant! Is the stl file posted somewhere?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's great. Could you make one for tea?
This design fits a cup at about 2.77 inch / 71mm diameter. Could be made bigger or smaller and deeper. That's the easy part. The angle is around 18.5 degrees on the holder itself. The tricky part is to get the curvature optimal for a perfect fit at this point.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've been thinking about the same thing, but I'd imagine that a passenger's knee could interfere with a cup holder in that location. I have lots of experience in 3D design, and getting the curvature in this location wouldn't be too difficult with the correct technique.

It may also be possible to create a cup holder that attaches to the glovebox lid (akin to the hook that is already there) depending on how tightly the lid/door closes.

I actually designed a perfect fit garbage can for the space next to the wireless charging pad, but it has a push-push lock on the lid, so it is't trivial to make. Didn't post any pictures of it, though. Maybe I should.

·
Registered
214 Posts

View attachment 4797

What I am interested in is your display showing 440km. Every morning I'm 340 @ 90% showing on the display.

·
Registered
9 Posts

View attachment 4797

Absolutely love this idea, when you get to finished design would you sell them, I would definitely buy one or two off you.
Have you thought about removing the bottom plate so it will then hold different sized coffee/tea as you lower the thermos into it or maybe just a large size then 3d printed inserts to get the right diameter you need?

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Just a quicky I learned yesterday, Libraries tend to have 3d printers now, unfortunately, the city is in lockdown, so the library is closed. But good to know for the future!
Not in the US. 😏

·
Registered
720 Posts
What I am interested in is your display showing 440km. Every morning I'm 340 @ 90% showing on the display.
Probably them using WLTP vs all of North America using EPA (233mi = 375km).

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've been thinking about the same thing, but I'd imagine that a passenger's knee could interfere with a cup holder in that location. I have lots of experience in 3D design, and getting the curvature in this location wouldn't be too difficult with the correct technique.
The knee is not an issue in this area at all it seems. Also, the holder can be moved lower on the console if that was the case.
I can imagine there would be techniques to figure out the curvature, I just don't know them. Any insight and advice would be great. I was thinking there should be a way of scanning perhaps.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
440km is what my PP says at 100% charge. It was quickly clear to me those numbers had nothing to do with real range, so I haven't paid attention to them since I got the car 7 months ago.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The knee is not an issue in this area at all it seems. Also, the holder can be moved lower on the console if that was the case.
I can imagine there would be techniques to figure out the curvature, I just don't know them. Any insight and advice would be great. I was thinking there should be a way of scanning perhaps.
Scanning with a dedicated portable 3D-scanner is of course an option, but there are much cheaper ways. For this application, a profile gauge gets you a long way. Basically this workflow:
  • Take a few profiles with the gauge
  • Transfer from the gauge to paper (tracing the profile with a pencil/pen), and also draw a straight line of known length
  • Scan the paper with the traced profiles
  • Import images to CAD, and calibrate to size (using the straight line as a reference)
  • Trace profiles into CAD entities
  • Create 3D-features
Please don't take this the wrong way, but your design is very crude and boxy, with sharp edges. To maintain strength, it should also be made in two parts, allowing for optimal print directions while keeping the design as slim as possible.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts