Polestar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a thread about my trash bin some weeks ago, and some people were disappointed that I did not want to release the files for that (but it was for good reasons).

However, it made me thinking about creating a version that is simpler to print and assemble, and while I was at it, I had another idea as well. The result was a modular system where you can use the trash bin by itself, or you can add a shelf that fills the space to the left of the bin. If you don't want the bin, there's also a shelf that fits in that same space, so you end up with two shelves instead.

Here's a render of my favourite combo:

And here's an image of the same (just from in my car):

Here's a video as well:

What's really cool is that you gain some useful storage space without sacrificing the phone charger. I find this to be very useful, and have had it in my car for some days now.

It was a lot of work to create this (much more than you might think), and I also had to create separate versions for RHD cars, since the screen on those is angled the other way. I am therefore charging money for this (and slightly more than for the cup holder), so I apologize in advance to those who thinks files for 3D printing should always be free. I would also like to take the opportunity to thank @ForgotRafe for helping me in getting measurements and detail pictures from a RHD car.

The files (and a full description) can be obtained from here:

·
Registered
972 Posts
This is pretty awesome! Would be useful for us for sure.

Do you mind if I share this on Reddit and the official Facebook group?

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
Well done! How did you map the curvatures to get such nice fits?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well done! How did you map the curvatures to get such nice fits?
Thanks!

It was a pain, to be honest. I used a combination of all my tricks, but it started with a post it note (for scale) on the angled back wall at the bottom/rear of the console well and a photo of that taken along the side curve. Then I had to account for the perspective error due to the angled back wall, and it also turned out that the curvature of the side walls wasn't constant, so I had to do lots of small test prints to get as close as possible (small iterations). Often I would use a profile gauge for things like this, but there's not enough space for that (the screen comes in the way). If I had disassembled the whole thing (or at least removed the screen) it would have been easier, but I didn't dare trying that.

It always ends up being a lot more work than I first anticipate. Thankfully I should say, because if I had known the amount of work in advance, I probably would have abandoned the project.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey! Is this you being featured here? ☺

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yep, sure is! :)
I asked him if he wanted to review the stuff, and he really wanted to, so I sent him copies of the items, which you can see in the video.
Good stuff! 👏🏽👏🏽

1 - 8 of 8 Posts