Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Older cars usually have some kind of ashtray that doubles as a thrash bin, even if capacity is very limited. The PS2 does not have this, but there is some space under the center screen to the right (in a LHD car) of the wireless charging pad. I decided to design a small thrash bin to fit in this space, and conveniently there is an edge that the thrash bin can hook on to, to keep it in place.

There are lots of odd angles in this area, and I designed it so the front face/door is coplanar with the screen face. The face then becomes a trapezoid shape, but the door is still rectangular within this face. Pictures from CAD:

ps2_thrash_bin2.jpg

ps2_thrash_bin1.jpg

ps2_thrash_bin3.jpg

If the USB connectors are in use, the door can't be fully opened, but that was a small price to pay for me. The door has a push-push lock mechanism (also designed by me), so all in all, this took quite some time to design. I did not publish the files, because it isn't easy to make. Just having a 3D-printer isn't enough, and I don't want to do a full writeup on how to actually build this thing.

I also created a short video of how it fits into the car:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Older cars usually have some kind of ashtray that doubles as a thrash bin, even if capacity is very limited. The PS2 does not have this, but there is some space under the center screen to the right (in a LHD car) of the wireless charging pad. I decided to design a small thrash bin to fit in this space, and conveniently there is an edge that the thrash bin can hook on to, to keep it in place.

There are lots of odd angles in this area, and I designed it so the front face/door is coplanar with the screen face. The face then becomes a trapezoid shape, but the door is still rectangular within this face. Pictures from CAD:

View attachment 4810

View attachment 4809

View attachment 4811

If the USB connectors are in use, the door can't be fully opened, but that was a small price to pay for me. The door has a push-push lock mechanism (also designed by me), so all in all, this took quite some time to design. I did not publish the files, because it isn't easy to make. Just having a 3D-printer isn't enough, and I don't want to do a full writeup on how to actually build this thing.

This is really awesome! I’d pay to have that! 😄

·
Registered
3 Posts

View attachment 4810

View attachment 4809

View attachment 4811

·
Registered
3 Posts
Very impressive, I like the additional logo in white, are you sharing the STL of STEP files, I would like to print one, I have a Prusa i3 MK3S and currently waiting for my Polestar 2.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
483 Posts
Really nice, too bad I’m using both of the badly positioned usb connectors so can’t use this

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very impressive, I like the additional logo in white, are you sharing the STL of STEP files, I would like to print one, I have a Prusa i3 MK3S and currently waiting for my Polestar 2.
The issue is that it's not just printing. You need more hardware as well (miniature magnets, 0.5 mm piano (spring steel) wire, 1.5 mm hinge pins, spring from a ballpoint pen), and I'd have to write detailed instructions on how to print and assemble, as it is not self-explanatory. And at this point, I'm not prepared to spend the time necessary on that. Maybe one day...

I would have made life easier without that push-push lock. I did think about having a knob on the door (or simply a cutout along the top edge), and just have two magnets to keep it closed, but I wanted to try to make a working push-push lock. And I didn't plan on publishing it either, to be honest.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Like it, I'd buy one, do you do Mail Order?
No, sorry. It takes too much time and effort, so it isn't worth it. Another point is that this is printed in PLA, and there's a chance it will deform if the car is left out in the sun to get really hot inside. That's OK for me, but not if I had sold these to other people.

This 👆 , so much this!!!
I guess we all have to prioritze our time. It is my belief that you can usually make time to do things that you really want to. It has become a modern mantra to always claim to be too busy to do almost anything. Which isn't really true. But I digress.

·
Registered
520 Posts
"I guess we all have to prioritze our time." - and I guess that is the point, prioritisation...

·
Registered
23 Posts
understand your reasoning not to publish everything, but if you’d consider sharing basic shape, that’d still be interesting. I miss the bin in my XC40

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
understand your reasoning not to publish everything, but if you’d consider sharing basic shape, that’d still be interesting. I miss the bin in my XC40
I guess I could create a version without the front lid, to avoid the hassle of the lock and hinge pins. Or maybe a lid with built-in hinges that you'd just snap in place, and a simpler lock type of sorts. I'll think about it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Difficult one because the lid makes it far better. I have a random solution though... what about a design that has a removeable neoprene lid to match the seats. Neoprene has a slit in it to allow you to poke wrappers/tissues and other lightweight trash in? As there's no door, the USB slots wouldn't be such an issue.

Another random thought... if you use F360 and would be willing to share the main bin part, I'm happy to have a go at a lid.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts