Polestar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2022 LR Midnight, Pilot+Plus+tow 19"+Nappa no-pp
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that the car quite often has to use 3G to keep in touch, certainly in many rural areas. The majority of time in populated areas it's showing LTE which is good. I've never seen it show 5G so assume the modem is maximum reception of 4G so what happens when the 3G signal gets switched off which is
fairly imminent do we just get more dead spots ?

Anyone have any ideas?

· Super Moderator
2,645 Posts
O2 (which is what the car uses in the UK) are not shutting down their 3G service for the foreseeable future. At least one network will have to continue providing 3G because there are millions of IoT / M2M devices out there that don't have 4G radios.

· Registered
81 Posts
O2 (which is what the car uses in the UK) are not shutting down their 3G service for the foreseeable future. At least one network will have to continue providing 3G because there are millions of IoT / M2M devices out there that don't have 4G radios.
IOT is usually over 2G or LTE-M, as well as LPWAN's (LoRA, Sigfox etc) so switching off 3G will have minimal impact to any IOT/M2M devices...

Not many IOT Devices use 3G as it was skipped in the standards...

And 2G is going nowhere...

· Super Moderator
2,645 Posts
I've got hundreds of devices out in the field on M2M SIMs and they're all 3G. I can't believe I'm the only one! OK, it might not be millions - I take your point.

We undertook a project in Q3 last year to make sure they all had O2 3G coverage because they were previously on roaming SIMs that will soon have nowhere to roam to. We had to swap about 30 routers out for LTE ones.

· Registered
12 Posts
I've noticed that the car quite often has to use 3G to keep in touch, certainly in many rural areas. The majority of time in populated areas it's showing LTE which is good. I've never seen it show 5G so assume the modem is maximum reception of 4G so what happens when the 3G signal gets switched off which is
fairly imminent do we just get more dead spots ?

Anyone have any ideas?
I thought I read somewhere that the P2 doesn't support 5G (at least up to MY23). Can anyone confirm?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts