Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never owned a 4 wheel drive car. It was a big pull for me over the cheaper version of the Tesla 3 which is rear wheel drive.
Does it make a huge difference? With performance, handling, ice/snowy conditions?
Especially curious to hear from those driving round in their new car now we're starting to get icy mornings.

·
Registered
738 Posts
In general it will feel more planted and wont waggle it's tail.

In the snow and ice ... it will help a little. But Snow / Ice come down to Tyres more than how many wheels spin.

There is a you tube video of a 4WD car with summer tyres vs a RWD with winter tyres going up a ski slope ... the RWD easily won.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
AWD in the winter helps a great deal with linear acceleration. Thus, much better for going up hills. Winter rubber is also a huge deal. Properly tuned AWD systems can also help accelerating out of a corner as there is a pull in addition to a push and that pull is directed by the steering. For most situations and drivers, though, the cornering benefits will never be noticed.

Reactions: polerad

·
Registered
67 Posts
You have had four wheel braking forever but it doesn't help much on snow and ice does it? Same with 4 wheel drive. It is good in wet and greasy conditions though and should prevent wheelspin out of junctions.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
You have had four wheel braking forever but it doesn't help much on snow and ice does it?
Actually, it helps a great deal. We're just all used to it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I live in Colorado and spend tons of time driving in the mountains in snowstorms (the more the better!). Currently, driving an A4 Avant Quattro with 4 Michelin X-ice snow tires (in the winter). Tires are the #1 priority, but AWD is certainly a huge bonus for traction. Honestly, it's more of the traction control (intelligent power and brake modulation to individual wheels) that really makes the difference. There are times where only AWD cars will be able to make it up a steep icy mountain road, so I wouldn't even consider a 2WD car in my situation. Having said that, AWD does nothing for emergency braking distance, and it is likely overkill for a large majority of people who think they need it. For me, though, the dual-motor feature of the launch-edition P2 was a huge plus.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Agree with what is said awd and tyres (tires), especially as my truck had no probs in snow with summer tyres a couple of years ago while watching BMW minis get stuck all over the place. There are 2 other things one being the weight of the car which helps with traction but not stopping but the one I am interested in is of the regen will help stop the car.

Basically is kinetic energy being turned into electrical energy different then into heat. Are you less likely to lock the brakes given its the motor doing the braking? I'd love to know of anyone has experience of regen in snowy conditions.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Agree with what is said awd and tyres (tires), especially as my truck had no probs in snow with summer tyres a couple of years ago while watching BMW minis get stuck all over the place. There are 2 other things one being the weight of the car which helps with traction but not stopping but the one I am interested in is of the regen will help stop the car.

Basically is kinetic energy being turned into electrical energy different then into heat. Are you less likely to lock the brakes given its the motor doing the braking? I'd love to know of anyone has experience of regen in snowy conditions.
Not sure but this post might be helpful?:

·
Registered
166 Posts

I am more interested in not getting stuck in a muddy field in winter. Not seen snow for several years now in the shires.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The other thing is tyre width and profile. The ideal car in snowy conditions is something like a Vauxhall Corsa - skinny, high profile tyres and of course winter tyres. When we had -22C in the UK about 5 years ago (freak weather conditions!), even the local taxis and 4x4s were staying in. We drove with no problems in my wife's Corsa which had Winter tyres on 15" wheels, straight up the hills and through the snow. Contrariwise I once tried to drive on light snow in my Jaguar XKR which had 20" 35-profile rims with summer tyres. I went off the drive, span round in a beautiful circle and all I could manage was to park up somewhere safe - I couldn't even get back up the drive! It really is all about the tyres.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The other thing is tyre width and profile. The ideal car in snowy conditions is something like a Vauxhall Corsa - skinny, high profile tyres and of course winter tyres. When we had -22C in the UK about 5 years ago (freak weather conditions!), even the local taxis and 4x4s were staying in. We drove with no problems in my wife's Corsa which had Winter tyres on 15" wheels, straight up the hills and through the snow. Contrariwise I once tried to drive on light snow in my Jaguar XKR which had 20" 35-profile rims with summer tyres. I went off the drive, span round in a beautiful circle and all I could manage was to park up somewhere safe - I couldn't even get back up the drive! It really is all about the tyres.
I put winters on SWMBO's i3 very year - they are great in snow (you can't get much skinnier than that - even if they are 19"). However, the regen can be a bit scary sometimes if there is snow on the road - glad the PS2 has the option to turn it down or off.

I am seriously looking at all season/weather tyres for the PS2 which will probably be better for the driving I do. Trying to toss up between the Michelin and Bridgestone (I hear the Michelin is a bit noisy).

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
All seasons will work, but there's nothing like dedicated snow tires.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Definitely, though we rarely have snow in the UK. We do however regularly have temperatures below 7C and below that point, all-season tyres are a massive benefit over summer tyres. I'm looking at what all-season tyres to get too; sadly the Continental AllSeason Contacts aren't available in the 19" rim size :( . Let me know what you decide... the thing is, all-season tyres are coming on so quickly that it might have changed again by the time my car arrives as to which are best!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On a test drive today in pretty torrential rain I threw the car enthusiastically around a couple of islands (or roundabouts for non-midlanders) and was impressed with the grip. Car was on 19” wheels too.
Would that be thanks to the 4WD? I didn’t feel any traction control kick in. Just felt like it was on rails.
I’m more excited after the test drive than I was before!

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Definitely, though we rarely have snow in the UK. We do however regularly have temperatures below 7C and below that point, all-season tyres are a massive benefit over summer tyres.
I'm no expert, but from what I understand, summer tires are just no good below about 10C. Winter tire rubber compound is super soft even in cold weather and grip much better, even on dry pavement at temperatures below 10C. I don't know if you can find winter rubber for the 20" rims, but I'd still recommend it if you could. (I'm planning on that search soon.)

·
Registered
250 Posts
On a test drive today in pretty torrential rain I threw the car enthusiastically around a couple of islands (or roundabouts for non-midlanders) and was impressed with the grip. Car was on 19” wheels too.
Would that be thanks to the 4WD? I didn’t feel any traction control kick in. Just felt like it was on rails.
I’m more excited after the test drive than I was before!
It's that low center of gravity and overall grip, it does seem to hold the road very well

1 - 20 of 21 Posts