Polestar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just out of curiosity nothing else...

My 4G dropped briefly earlier today (literally for about 5 mins) in the P2. But I also noticed that the GPS was also unavailable on the maps (I always have the absolutely gorgeous maps in the dashboard). I thought that would only be the case with assisted GPS (which I previously understood was used by mobile phones years ago) but thought generally GPS chips are separate these days, I assume not in the P2?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I've had no 4G but did have GPS, so I don't think so. As I've downloaded a few maps (local and when I was away) and at times I'd lost 4G for a 5-10mins the GPS would work fine on the downloaded maps.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had no 4G but did have GPS, so I don't think so. As I've downloaded a few maps (local and when I was away) and at times I'd lost 4G for a 5-10mins the GPS would work fine on the downloaded maps.
And I would have expected that in reality as my memory suggests assisted GPS was always weaker because the chip is trying to do multiple tasks versus being dedicated to each function. No real issue, but I was curious.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,586 Posts
This is just out of curiosity nothing else...

My 4G dropped briefly earlier today (literally for about 5 mins) in the P2. But I also noticed that the GPS was also unavailable on the maps (I always have the absolutely gorgeous maps in the dashboard). I thought that would only be the case with assisted GPS (which I previously understood was used by mobile phones years ago) but thought generally GPS chips are separate these days, I assume not in the P2?

Any thoughts?
My last 4G outage happened the same way. Went on an emergency (per wife/kids) takeout run in freezing weather in a new location so kind of sucked to not have internet or GPS in the car. Luckily the system fixed itself after several minutes while I was en route. The prior times I had no 4G I did still have GPS functionality so I could use offline maps effectively.

Not sure if this indicates something about the source of the current 4G bugs?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same experience as me, previously no issue and today just a blip. Curious...

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
871 Posts
Same experience as me, previously no issue and today just a blip. Curious...
I had a similar experience. 4G was rock solid for ten days, but had empty triangle for the first 10’ of a drive today and GPS seemed out - on the dash under the arrow for the car it had text saying searching for GPS.

Oddly despite that message it appeared to be working and was accurately displaying my location and course on the map.

There were about three inches of snow on the car that I wiped off before driving, perhaps the thin layer of frost left was enough to attenuate signal until it melted by the heat of whatever usually melts frost around the antenna area?

·
Registered
2021 2
2,586 Posts
I had a similar experience. 4G was rock solid for ten days, but had empty triangle for the first 10’ of a drive today and GPS seemed out - on the dash under the arrow for the car it had text saying searching for GPS.

Oddly despite that message it appeared to be working and was accurately displaying my location and course on the map.

There were about three inches of snow on the car that I wiped off before driving, perhaps the thin layer of frost left was enough to attenuate signal until it melted by the heat of whatever usually melts frost around the antenna area?
So.... cold/freezing weather seems to negatively affects range (due to non-smart initial battery heating), charging (coldgating), internet connectivity, GPS, the radar sensor, headlight washers, and potentially parking/BLIS sensors

got it

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So.... cold/freezing weather seems to negatively affects range (due to non-smart initial battery heating), charging (coldgating), internet connectivity, GPS, the radar sensor, headlight washers, and potentially parking/BLIS sensors

got it
ha ha, wrap the car in an electric blanket (like the ones on F1 tyres)!!!

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,877 Posts
Good that they talk about how it was tested in the icey coldness of Arjeplog, near the Arctic Circle, so we don't need to be concerned about how it will handle cold weather...

·
Registered
2021 2
2,586 Posts
Good that they talk about how it was tested in the icey coldness of Arjeplog, near the Arctic Circle, so we don't need to be concerned about how it will handle cold weather...
I think clearly that only applied to the driving dynamics, ESC, etc. Which do seem great!
But they didn't apply the same level of scrutiny to things like battery management or their sensors.

Tesla seems to only focus on their battery/drivetrain and software and nonTesla OEMs seem to only focus on the usual car bits like steering/chassis/suspension/braking.
I guess EVs just aren't mature enough to get a product that does both well off the bat.

Based on this and the charging curve thread, I speculate that they do have the cold weather stuff enabled - but they only turn it on when it's really cold (< -5C or so) or something like that? Else, I feel like a bunch of folks in Norway and Sweden would have been up in arms by now (to the degree that Scandis take up arms in this post-Viking era).
If so, then they just need to tune the behavior - which can be handled in software. Hopefully.

·
Registered
Non PP, Midnight, Load Bars
138 Posts
My car gets the firmware update to fix the 4G/Wifi issue tomorrow. I will let you know if it works. FYI. 4G is up and down more than a two year old with a yoyo. Wifi only ever worked once, never since the main update (November)

·
Super Moderator
1,357 Posts
That's a very definitive statement! If you don't mind me asking, what exactly have you been told and by whom?

Last comm I had from PS CS (today) was (and I'm paraphrasing) 'don't bother taking in until we've worked out what's wrong'

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
I had my first incident with the dreaded empty triangle today. My heart sank. About three minutes into the drive, it switched to full triangle with the little x. About a minute later, the x cleared and I was back to normal.

If not for this forum I would have been upset and clueless. Knowing this was a recurring problem and knowing what the indications were was reassuring.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts