Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone reliably get 4G connectivity every time they use their car? I reckon I have full or near-full 4G signal with an ‘x’ about half the time I start the car... and (I think?) almost every time I start it straight after charging. Sometimes connectivity comes back during the journey, sometimes it doesn’t come back until the car has been left to fully power down. Frankly, it’s getting ridiculous.

Resetting the infotainment system has no effect. Latest patches and software updates all installed.

I know others are also experiencing problems with this. Is it near-universal, or are some of you happily connecting on every trip?

·
Registered
2021 2
1,375 Posts
Different country/networks but for the most part mine works. I had one outage while on the prior patch that resolved after letting it sit overnight unplugged. And had another outage shortly after getting the latest software patch, which also resolved itself after sitting a while unplugged.

Not sure what to tell you. It's a fairly random bug.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Does anyone reliably get 4G connectivity every time they use their car? I reckon I have full or near-full 4G signal with an ‘x’ about half the time I start the car... and (I think?) almost every time I start it straight after charging. Sometimes connectivity comes back during the journey, sometimes it doesn’t come back until the car has been left to fully power down. Frankly, it’s getting ridiculous.

Resetting the infotainment system has no effect. Latest patches and software updates all installed.

I know others are also experiencing problems with this. Is it near-universal, or are some of you happily connecting on every trip?
I have the same issue. Not been using the car much over Christmas, but had to run errands today and had a 50/50 of 4g. My car went in for a software update the second day I had it. Resetting the screen doesn't necessarily work, but it does work sometimes.

·
Registered
Polestar 2, Snow, non-PP, Tow bar.
133 Posts
I've had my P*2 for around five weeks now. I had my very first 4G with x connectivity issue a few days ago. What seemed to fix it immediately was charging the car. Another annoying thing was that whilst the x was showing the WiFi function was totally broken. I had turned on the hotspot on my phone (an Android device) and it didn't show up in the infotainment system. However, prior to the journey, the car would successfully connect to the home WiFi. I didn't check after charging if WiFi also got restored. A project for the weekend. I'm on 1st Nov software version.

·
Registered
318 Posts
A different country/network also, but mine has been rock solid (knock wood). I have one known drop area near my house where no one has any service on any of the mobile networks, and I lose signal there also, but the connection returns at the same spot that phones do. So I guess I've been lucky so far.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,057 Posts
Does anyone reliably get 4G connectivity every time they use their car? I reckon I have full or near-full 4G signal with an ‘x’ about half the time I start the car...
Mine is definitely getting worse. I would say I have some connectivity issues about 60% of the time.

·
Registered
132 Posts
No 4G connectivity issues for me apart from can’t see any WiFi networks, so have just turned off WiFi until it’s fixed.

Dont know if this makes a difference to 4G I doubt it, surely if your car can’t connect to 4G due to poor signal you would get the same symptoms.

Is 4G down temporarily down in your area?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dont know if this makes a difference to 4G I doubt it, surely if your car can’t connect to 4G due to poor signal you would get the same symptoms.

Is 4G down temporarily down in your area?
4G appears rock-solid on my phone (different network, I know...), and the car claims to have a strong 4G signal as well. It’s just when the pesky ‘x’ appears in the bottom right of the signal strength display that it won’t actually send or receive data.

But, from the responses on here, it does seem to be one of those annoying problems that affects some of the people some of the time. All of the people some of the time, or some of the people all of the time, would be easier to diagnose and fix!

I may try tossing a coin each time I get into the car, to see if there’s a correlation between heads of coins and x’s on my 4G... That would at least give the dev team something to work with...

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have connectivity issues about 5-10% of the time. Sometimes a reboot clears it, sometimes nothing works and just comes back the next day on its own.

Yesterday was the first time I'd had it happen since the November update and couldn't use the mobile phone / wifi hotspot workaround because of the well documented wifi issue with the November update, I also couldn't get to my YouTube music offline music either annoyingly, just wouldn't get past "loading content"

·
Registered
Midnight Charcoal non-PP Towbar
80 Posts
So, I’m on October software and mine point blank does not see WiFi networks.. 4g seems to drop out maybe 40% of the time.. it’s booked in for the November update of the software next week and I’ve asked them to investigate the WiFi and gsm modules.. I’m beginning to think they are as iffy as the initial inverters.. 🤔🤔

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have connectivity issues about 5-10% of the time. Sometimes a reboot clears it, sometimes nothing works and just comes back the next day on its own.

Yesterday was the first time I'd had it happen since the November update and couldn't use the mobile phone / wifi hotspot workaround because of the well documented wifi issue with the November update, I also couldn't get to my YouTube music offline music either annoyingly, just wouldn't get past "loading content"
2nd day in a row of no 4G

·
Registered
2021 2
1,375 Posts
So, I’m on October software and mine point blank does not see WiFi networks.. 4g seems to drop out maybe 40% of the time.. it’s booked in for the November update of the software next week and I’ve asked them to investigate the WiFi and gsm modules.. I’m beginning to think they are as iffy as the initial inverters.. 🤔🤔
I had that from delivery and then one day it just fixed itself, before I got the Nov software patch. It had been sitting on my driveway for a couple days without being charged. I’m not sure if that was coincidence but I wonder if it had time to more completely shut down, including the 12V system, and so restarted the WiFi chips.

·
Registered
217 Posts

I have noticed over the last week or so that my 4g connection is starting to become unreliable. I am beginning to get a little frustrated. I tried the suggested methods, closing down etc but no joy. Does seem to reconnect when I lock and leave for a while but it is not ideal or certain every time. Bluetooth via my phone is a useful back up for some 'driving' music but this is not what I paid for! I do have the1st November update but wifi or mobile tethering is a still a no go. I will speak to Polestar CS next week.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
1,554 Posts
It's been fine until a couple of days ago when it was off (4G but x) for about 10 minutes on starting up, then today it was off at the start and then stayed off for about 3 hours. Then when I sat in the car, playing with the wifi and mobile data settings, it suddenly came back to life.

Best thing is for everyone to email Customer Services, letting them know that it's unreliable. This should hasten fixes.

Reactions: paulmiller

·
Registered
288 Posts
After a third day in a row of no connection, I contacted Polestar CS this morning. Their advice below

We understand that other customers have been having the same issue and we are working on a resolution to stop this from re-occurring.
I understand you have tried to reboot the infotainment system and this has not worked however can you confirm that you have turned the data off restarted the system and then turned the data back on? This method has been the most successful so far.

Good that they recognise it as a wider issue and working on a resolution. Their recommendation was a new one on me. I went out to the car to try it but 4G had come back on its own. Worth a try for anyone else

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
1,554 Posts
Got a bit annoyed with the video after a few minutes - obviously if there's no internet connection then none of the apps will work, so what's the point in going through them all? Anyway...

Hopefully everyone is emailing customer services now to tell them about the flaky internet connection then, by the sounds of it :)

My suspicion is that they only have a certain number of users that the T-mobile hotspot network is allowing from Polestar SIM cards, so as people turn their cars off, someone else is then allowed onto the system. This would explain the steady decline in being able to access the network correctly as more cars are delivered. Someone, somewhere hasn't got the size/number of connections correct (I suspect). You see this with mobile phones in very congested areas (less so with 4G, but it was a major problem with 3G cell towers) - you have plenty of cell signal strength, and can make voice calls, but try and access the internet and nothing happens.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts