Polestar Forum banner

61 - 80 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Sorry if I'm flogging a dead horse here, but I'm not sure we're all being consistent abut what we mean by "losing 4G". As far as I can tell, there are two options: (a) You could get the little "x" near the triangle (but still have the "4G" text), and (b) you can get a grayed-out triangle (with no "4G" text and no "x").

I have option (b). Has anyone else had this second option?

·
Registered
2021 2
1,308 Posts
Sorry if I'm flogging a dead horse here, but I'm not sure we're all being consistent abut what we mean by "losing 4G". As far as I can tell, there are two options: (a) You could get the little "x" near the triangle (but still have the "4G" text), and (b) you can get a grayed-out triangle (with no "4G" text and no "x").

I have option (b). Has anyone else had this second option?
My outages were all (b) and eventually self-resolved through unknown and likely unnatural means.

·
Registered
Midnight Charcoal non-PP Towbar
80 Posts
I confirmed a few things about the behaviour of the 4G with my car today that I had a suspicion but it seems to have confirmed it.

• I haven't driven the car since new year's eve - car has been plugged in on a scheduled charge and has been unlocked/locked once in that time but otherwise sat idle
  • Took it for a short trip today to the shops (~6 miles each way)
  • After setting off, a few seconds after the infotainment came on, I had a 4G connection and everything was fine
  • Coming back to the car after about 30-40 minutes of being locked while shopping, I got the icon showing signal/4G but with no connectivity (the little 'x') - no internet.
  • Could not access the internet ToS, turning mobile data on/off didn't help, neither did a full reset of the infotainment (holding down home button).

This is definitely a behaviour I have noticed before...that it's fine for the first 'leg' of a journey but then dies and won't come back for an extended period.

@rgledhill might be right that it's a limit on the connections that PS have available but to me I think it has something to do with the sleep state of the car - that it works after a deep sleep (e.g. overnight? after the weekend?), but during a light sleep (e.g. when parked up or left during the day) the 4G module doesn't restore the connection properly.
Just a random one, have you tried disabling the wifi? I found my 4g issues went away when wifi was physically switched off?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just a random one, have you tried disabling the wifi? I found my 4g issues went away when wifi was physically switched off?
I have tried with it on and off - I've been leaving it off.

·
Registered
510 Posts
My outages were all (b) and eventually self-resolved through unknown and likely unnatural means.
Ok thanks. It’s been 3 days so far but I’ll give it some more time.

·
Registered
510 Posts

Here's a summary of my (so-called type "b") 4G problem, which has been going on since Monday (it is now Thursday).

1) Grayed-out triangle as shown in the picture above. No "4G" text, no "x".
2) No mobile data available for maps, Spotify, etc.
3) Connect button on the roof is not lit (same for many people without this problem, I think). Surprisingly, I can call Polestar CS using the button though, even though I ostensibly do not have a 4G connection.
4) SOS light is steady white (obviously haven't tried pushing it).
5) Infotainment reboot does not help.
6) 12V reset does not help.

Others (e.g., @polerad ) have reported the same grayed-out triangle but have had the problem self-resolve over time.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
1,516 Posts
The SOS system is self-contained - it has its own SIM card and (I think) speaker and microphone too so that it's available even if the car is so badly crashed that the entire 12V system has gone down (that's if I understand correctly). This means it is not connected (sorry!) to the 4G problems we're seeing so we shouldn't look at it in our debugging of what's going on...

Almost all of my outages have been type (a) by the way, i.e. 4G is there but little x meaning no internet connection.

Reactions: krheinwald

·
Registered
510 Posts
The SOS system is self-contained - it has its own SIM card and (I think) speaker and microphone too so that it's available even if the car is so badly crashed that the entire 12V system has gone down (that's if I understand correctly). This means it is not connected (sorry!) to the 4G problems we're seeing so we shouldn't look at it in our debugging of what's going on...

Almost all of my outages have been type (a) by the way, i.e. 4G is there but little x meaning no internet connection.
Interesting. So what about the Connect button? Same thing? Because it works even when my 4G is grayed out.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I think Connect uses the SOS module - it has the same crappy sound quality from the built-in speaker in the overhead panel.

I've had no working 4G for a week now, but my Connect works.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I think Connect uses the SOS module - it has the same crappy sound quality from the built-in speaker in the overhead panel.
Ah, that's true - the Connect call does come in from the overhead speaker. So, yeah, it must be separate from the 4G. @stevelup do you have the type "a" (little "x") or type "b" (gray triangle) problem? I've had the type "b"for a week.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hollow grey (b) - and not fixable by any of the known solutions (including full power cycle).
Agreed---I did a 12V disconnect to no avail. Polestar CS is willing to ship my car back to California for repairs, but I'm unwilling to do this for a number of reasons right now: (1) small issue relative to losing the car for weeks, (2) huge carbon footprint to ship it 2500 miles round-trip, and (3) uncertainty on my part that they actually have a permanent known fix.

I think I will live with it for a few weeks to see if Polestar can make any progress on understanding the issue. I am also going to ask to have a Polestar service tech call me to discuss what they do and don't know about this issue. I'll report back with any news.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have connectivity issues about 5-10% of the time. Sometimes a reboot clears it, sometimes nothing works and just comes back the next day on its own.

Yesterday was the first time I'd had it happen since the November update and couldn't use the mobile phone / wifi hotspot workaround because of the well documented wifi issue with the November update, I also couldn't get to my YouTube music offline music either annoyingly, just wouldn't get past "loading content"
I think I've brought a curse on myself. Now it will only connect 5-10% of the time. Is it just me or has the situation got worse in the last 2 weeks?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yes, it has gradually deteriorated. I've gone from it working 90% of the time to it not working 90% of the time over the first couple of months. It's as if the more vehicles that came online, the more unreliable it became. It seems like a capacity issue.

Now mine's totally dead with the hollow triangle - which may well be a different issue of course.

What is frustrating is the lack of updates on this issue. The last message on the website was posted in November and their temporary fix of tethering is now impossible.

·
Registered
510 Posts
My nearest service place is 6 miles away so I'm not in the same boat as you. It's going in next week. I'll report back if/when it's fixed.
It would be great if you can find out very specifically what they do to fix it. And then, of course, we will wait to see how long the fix actually lasts!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Well, apparently there is a 'Technical Journal' on this - TJ 35630 - but trying to get a copy of it is proving fruitless.

·
Registered
277 Posts
It's as if the more vehicles that came online, the more unreliable it became. It seems like a capacity issue.
Yes, I would agree, that looks like a likely cause. Doesn't seem like a software issue, because the software hasn't changed (recently).

·
Registered
510 Posts
Yes, I would agree, that looks like a likely cause. Doesn't seem like a software issue, because the software hasn't changed (recently).
Would that still make sense even in my case, where there are only a few Polestar’s within 500 miles of me? That is, is there some aspect of the connection that is centralized?

61 - 80 of 140 Posts