Polestar Forum banner

101 - 120 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Left mine disabled both mobile data and WiFi for just over 24hrs. Turned on just mobile data when I got home and hey presto 4G is back... i think it’s more likely as you say server side (capacity?) as widespread and worsening. I’ll check it tomorrow as left it charging.

Reactions: rgledhill

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yep - it works after a power cycle / deep sleep - for one drive only, then is borked again until the next deep sleep. That's my experience anyway.
Yep - it works after a power cycle / deep sleep - for one drive only, then is borked again until the next deep sleep. That's my experience anyway.
That is exactly the same case here. It all works the first time you get into the car but after it falls apart.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Interesting theory. I'm likely still the only Polestar owner within a 400mi. radius and I've never had an issue with connectivity other than a known dead spot near my home where my phone also doesn't work. My phone is on Google Fi which uses T-Mobile when not on WiFi so that drop is completely explainable. This may reinforce the theory that there is some sort of resource contention on the mobile network side.

·
Registered
P2 - Magnesium - Charcoal - PP - tow hook
154 Posts
Your hypotheses are quite plausible, I would add a possible problem of securitization/authentication of the connections set up in particular for the OTA updates? Or a hack that nobody will ever tell us anything about.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This thread explains what I saw during my test drive. I had already noticed the 4G + X when driving the car, but I made a short stop (to show the car to my wife!) and afterwards, Maps refused to give me a route back to the showroom. I guess I should've kept the car with the excuse I couldn't return it :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Your hypotheses are quite plausible, I would add a possible problem of securitization/authentication of the connections set up in particular for the OTA updates? Or a hack that nobody will ever tell us anything about.
It's sounding more and more like a network capacity or configuration issue with their carrier to be honest. Given the fact the service is degrading over time and reading the latest comments from PS, it seem to point to that.

·
Registered
P2 - Magnesium - Charcoal - PP - tow hook
154 Posts
It's sounding more and more like a network capacity or configuration issue with their carrier to be honest. Given the fact the service is degrading over time and reading the latest comments from PS, it seem to point to that.
You're probably right about 4G, there's still the problem of Wifi which is probably different even if some of us are impacted at the same time.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
1,523 Posts
I will say one thing - that fact that almost all of the "something's gone wrong" threads on the forum at the moment are to do with 4G and WiFi shows how far we've come from "Help, the car's died", inverter failures, cars on flat beds, fans going crazy, ...

·
Registered
121 Posts
I will say one thing - that fact that almost all of the "something's gone wrong" threads on the forum at the moment are to do with 4G and WiFi shows how far we've come from "Help, the car's died", inverter failures, cars on flat beds, fans going crazy, ...
Yup, once they fix the 4G and WiFi it should be pretty smooth sailing.

·
Registered
667 Posts
A question for the knowledgeable:
Is there a possibility they Polestar have had to disable the 4G/WiFi etc because they have introduced some of the OTA functionality? In other words they have lost control of the roll out of updates etc and are unable to switch off the tap (fawcet) so they have disabled the delivery mechanisms?

·
Registered
2021 2
1,331 Posts
A question for the knowledgeable:
Is there a possibility they Polestar have had to disable the 4G/WiFi etc because they have introduced some of the OTA functionality? In other words they have lost control of the roll out of updates etc and are unable to switch off the tap (fawcet) so they have disabled the delivery mechanisms?
Complete speculation, but it seems our 4G issues in the US are less in magnitude and of a different type than what's in the EU/UK.
Here I think we have occasional issues in initializing the 4G radio. That happens randomly for different people and at random times, self-resolving in some cases randomly.
In the EU/UK, in addition to the random 4G radio initialization, there's some connectivity negotiation that doesn't happen. I honestly speculate if it's related to GDPR type things, in which the network wants the user to accept terms every time, and Polestar was trying to make that process smoother with the OTA-enabling Oct update, or the Nov update, but it got borked and they're now scrambling to figure it out. And/or they plain didn't secure enough licenses to the service - but I somewhat doubt that because it's not like they are well beyond their planned for annual sales.

Re Wifi, I think there's a separate set of issues around that which were introduced for some with the Nov update. and which affects folks equally across the Atlantic.

·
Registered
280 Posts
So what is the official Polestar damage-limitation response to these issues? ahs there been any public statement/s?
only on the Q&A page where the 4G issue now says "We have identified intermittent issues with our connectivity platform which create disturbances with the car’s internet connection for some users. We are working actively to solve these issues and are in intense dialogues with our connectivity supplier to significantly increase capacity, which should improve the situation."

·
Super Moderator
1,523 Posts
Interestingly, having not been used for a few days and therefore having gone into ultra-low power mode, not only was the 4G rock solid today but the CONNECT white light has come back on for the "call Polestar" button! I've also disabled WPS on my wifi network and the car connected straight away. Hmm...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Same here. I’ve had a consistent connection since Tuesday. I did disable Wifi and left it for day after the the last period of connection issues... but hasn’t dropped since. Perhaps there’s light at the end of the tunnel!

Reactions: rgledhill

·
Super Moderator
1,523 Posts
Or maybe it's because no-one can drive their cars at the moment so fewer cars are using the network...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've also had a solid day of 4g. First time that's happened since I've had the car. Good day of smashing around in the ps today (all work journeys).

101 - 120 of 155 Posts