Polestar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wheel Tire Car Cloud Land vehicle
Gadget Automotive design Audio equipment Automotive lighting Auto part
View attachment 7473 Wheel Tire Car Cloud Land vehicle Gadget Automotive design Audio equipment Automotive lighting Auto part

View attachment 7473

I'm just back from a short trip from Warwickshire to St Andrews in Scotland and have to say how impressed I am with the Polestar as a long distance cruiser. The Adaptive Cruise Control makes it a perfect car for the heavy traffic through the Midlands / Manchester section of the M6 and turning off the A74M for a blast along the A702 through Biggar to Edinburgh was fun. Charging wise, I was concerned pre-trip about finding and using chargers en-route, but I needn't have worried. I set off with 100% from Leamington Spa and made it to my charging stops with higher SOC than Google maps predicted. First stop was the MFG Crow Orchard just off J27 of the M6. This is contactless card payment at a reasonable 拢0.18 /KW. I needed to switch chargers and get assistance but was the only EV there (remember to register your reg # in the shop to avoid a parking fine). There is a shop, Costa Coffee & toilets. 150kw chargers and I achieved 110kw from 38% SOC.

Next stop the Ionity at Gretna Services which I had to queue for. Others seemed to be having trouble with these but the Plugsurfing card worked well and topped up to 90% to avoid another stop. Had a nice chat with a new e-Tron driver who was on his way back from the Highlands.

We arrived in St Andrews with 38% SOC and then managed to find a ChargePlace Scotland 50 KW charger in a Public car park to top up for the return journey. The ChargePlace Scotland RFID card worked perfectly.

I used the same chargers on my return journey but charged less, as I knew I could home charge again when we got home. I had to queue again for Ionity at Gretna, which was especially annoying as a Discovery Sport PHEV driver spent 30 mins charging from 90 to 100%, a bit of a pointless excercise on the Motorway, I would have thought? A Skoda Enyaq was also on 100% waiting for it's owner to return :(.

Saw quite a few Mach-Es around, but only one other P2 coming out of St Andrews. My pre-trip anxieties about charging were definitely not justified, although we did change our usual stops, we usually use Tebay in Cumbria, but I had seen reports of long waits for the 2 Ecotricity chargers there, so decided against it.

Registered
I had to queue again for Ionity at Gretna, which was especially annoying as a Discovery Sport PHEV driver spent 30 mins charging from 90 to 100%, a bit of a pointless excercise on the Motorway, I would have thought?
Its max charging rate is up to 32KW on DC (and probably far less from 90% to 100%), so a bit of a waste of an ultra rapid 150KW charger.

Registered
I honestly considered a PHEV initially (the Disco sport since I already had the ICE version) TBH. What swung me towards full fat EV was the average EU daily mileage (commute or otherwise) was so comfortably within the range of an EV (by multiple factors) that why would you bother carrying around an ICE engine with its weight and moving parts as an insurance policy? Most PHEV's in the UK at least have been a waste of space as most people don't bother to charge them religiously and therefore rely mostly on an ICE engine but lug the weight of a battery pack around and the negative effect on efficiency. I honestly don't see the point of PHEV's now. Go all the way (EV) or don't (yet) IMHO

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I honestly considered a PHEV initially (the Disco sport since I already had the ICE version) TBH. What swung me towards full fat EV was the average EU daily mileage (commute or otherwise) was so comfortably within the range of an EV (by multiple factors) that why would you bother carrying around an ICE engine with its weight and moving parts as an insurance policy? Most PHEV's in the UK at least have been a waste of space as most people don't bother to charge them religiously and therefore rely mostly on an ICE engine but lug the weight of a battery pack around and the negative effect on efficiency. I honestly don't see the point of PHEV's now. Go all the way (EV) or don't (yet) IMHO
You're right I think, most people driving PHEVs probably don't ever plug in, but are just driving them to take advantage of the beneficial BIK rates which they attract.

Registered
Having been lent a Volvo XC60 T6 when my P2 was in for repair I also believe that you either stick with ICE or go full EV.
It is only 8 miles to work but I found that I had to charge every day otherwise I didn't have the range, certainly in winter.
With EV I charge once maybe twice a week and even then I don't really need to.

Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
I agree. Other than the tax breaks, PHEV is a waste of time. Lugging that battery around makes the vehicle uneconomical. Better all in or all out.

Registered
Ordered MY 2022 on Friday 13th of August! Long Range Dual-Motor, Snow/Nappa, Pilot, Plus, Tow hitch
The PHEV discssion probably belongs in a different thread, but I can't resist, so will post. Apologies if this pulls the thread way off-course.

I think, as with most things, this is a matter of personal usage.
We started leasing a PHEV almost four years ago, having driven diesels, when the government here were sending strong signals that they would punish diesel drivers. I just didn't dare hang-on to wait for the diesel used market to collapse (in practice this hasn't happened). Full EV's at the time were not quite where we wanted them to be, so we decided to go with a leasing stop-gap.

We analysed our usage at the time, and the electric range and functionality of a number of PHEV's. Some start the petrol engine whenever the weather is cold or the heater is turned on and we avoided those. We ended up with a Mini Countryman PHEV, which had a range that was (just) enough for our daily drives, but which was possible to run in all-electric mode even in winter.

There's no question that we would never have considered such an expensive car had it not been for the tax-breaks and a very good leasing deal. Having said that, we plug in religiously every time the car is home and about 80% of our driving when at home is fully electric. It would have been closer to 95% if our driving habits had remained as they were, but a family situation has left us driving far more "taxi" than we envisaged.

Obviously, the inefficiencies of a PHEV are a factor on longer runs, but even with some very long pan-European and Norwegian holidays, we still have an over-all consumption of 2.8l/100km (100mpg UK / 84mpg US).

The Mini has spoiled us, so that our expectations of our next (BEV) car are higher than they would have been. It has also trained us to think like EV drivers, and there is quite a lot of "sport" in trying to squeeze that last km out of the battery, to get home without the petrol engine kicking in.

The Polestar stretches our budget, but is the right size, handles at least as well as the Mini and is at least as comfortable. Having driven it, there was really no choice.

Registered
2021 P2, Magnesium/Charcoal, non-pp, 19"
The Polestar stretches our budget, but is the right size, handles at least as well as the Mini and is at least as comfortable.
Very much the same reasoning I had a little more than 3 years ago, getting rid of a diesel car, and I also leased a Mini Countryman PHEV, and as long as temperature where above 6-7 degree C I could drive to work and back again on battery.

But IMHO the Polestar handles way better than the Mini and is also way more comfortable :) I got the P2 a couple of weeks before returning the Mini, and driving the Mini to the delivery I was really happy to get rid of it and couldn't wait to get back into the P2.

Registered
Ordered MY 2022 on Friday 13th of August! Long Range Dual-Motor, Snow/Nappa, Pilot, Plus, Tow hitch
Very much the same reasoning I had a little more than 3 years ago, getting rid of a diesel car, and I also leased a Mini Countryman PHEV, and as long as temperature where above 6-7 degree C I could drive to work and back again on battery.

But IMHO the Polestar handles way better than the Mini and is also way more comfortable :) I got the P2 a couple of weeks before returning the Mini, and driving the Mini to the delivery I was really happy to get rid of it and couldn't wait to get back into the P2.
I can hardly wait. Also planning a mall overlap here, to patch up some minor damage to the Mini and ceramic coat the P2.

I can't help but laugh a bit at all the complaints here about the Infotainment system on the P2. Much as I have enjoyed the Mini, the Infotainment has been a complete joke. As an Android user I had to source an iPhone withe data only sim just to use in the car before I could use Spotify and TuneIn radio at all. Even then it's touch and go whether the car will connect to the phone and whether either of the apps will work. Mini connect only worked at all for the first couple of months and was very unreliable. For a while I could get TuneIn from Android and Spotify from Apple. Then it stopped working altogether and I gave up on it. Now I have to use full Apple CarPlay, which means I can only use one extra phone and trying to make phone calls often doesn't work, because the car sees the CarPlay connected phone as the main phone. I won't miss it at all.

Anyway, apologies to PoleSpa for having completely hijacked the thread.

Reactions: PoleSpa

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can hardly wait. Also planning a mall overlap here, to patch up some minor damage to the Mini and ceramic coat the P2.

I can't help but laugh a bit at all the complaints here about the Infotainment system on the P2. Much as I have enjoyed the Mini, the Infotainment has been a complete joke. As an Android user I had to source an iPhone withe data only sim just to use in the car before I could use Spotify and TuneIn radio at all. Even then it's touch and go whether the car will connect to the phone and whether either of the apps will work. Mini connect only worked at all for the first couple of months and was very unreliable. For a while I could get TuneIn from Android and Spotify from Apple. Then it stopped working altogether and I gave up on it. Now I have to use full Apple CarPlay, which means I can only use one extra phone and trying to make phone calls often doesn't work, because the car sees the CarPlay connected phone as the main phone. I won't miss it at all.

Anyway, apologies to PoleSpa for having completely hijacked the thread.
No, it's interesting to see some folks actually using a PHEV properly and not just as a tax break! Threads, have a life of their own once 'launched' :)

Super Moderator
I think, as with most things, this is a matter of personal usage.
Exactly. If all PHEV drivers would use their car like you did, PHEVs would be far less of an issue for most EV drivers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts