Polestar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
Polestar 2 Dual Motor Launch Edition 2021 - Void
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm now 5 weeks in to owning my P2 (launch edition, void, 19" wheels) and here are my experiences from the first 5 weeks.

In 5 weeks time I've driven 4300km, this includes two weeks of holiday, so I'm getting quite some time in the car to test it out. I've driven it in both NL and BE, with my longest trip just under 300km, more on that later. Now lets get into some of the specifics:

Driving

I'm no outlier here, this car drives amazingly. One thing that really stands out for me, and I don't see anyone commenting on, is how easy it is to drive this car slowly. Speed limit around town in the Netherlands is generally 50km/h (30m/h) and in all the ICE cars I've owned and driven 50 never felt comfortable. It was generally in between two gears and it always felt slow. It felt a lot more comfortable to drive 60km/h in my experience. In the P2 driving 50 (or even 30 in residential areas) is very easy, very smooth and effortless and it doesn't feel at all like I'm driving very slow. With the exception of driving on some bigger roads with low speed limits, that always feels slow.

I find that the pedal gives an incredible amount of control over your car, from very conservative cruising to getting all that power to come out to play, I find it very easy to control both speed and acceleration with the accelerator. Similar for the OPD and regen, I find it very easy to find the middle ground and basically let the car cruise while having OPD set to standard, but also to control the regen breaking to point that I rarely touch the break pedal.

In the first weekend after receiving the car I took it out to get it proper cleaned (I say proper, but I did myself and I'm hardly a detailing nut, so just a pretty standard cleaning) and I then applied the Turtle Wax coating.

Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light Automotive parking light Vehicle Grille
Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Car Automotive tail & brake light

So far it is holding up very well and makes it very easy to remove the droppings from the two birds that have so far been under the mistaken impression that they could shit on my car and get away with it. A bit meager on the meat, but I enjoyed them nonetheless. On a next trip to the car wash the water was clearly still beading on the car and applying the Turtle Wax is very easy (which is demonstrated by the fact that I managed to do it). I also applied it to the windows, which I can still clearly tell when it's raining.

Car Vehicle Automotive parking light Grille Automotive tire

It has joined me on a number of road trips in the Netherlands as I try to take my kids out to different stuff most weekends, mostly with the idle hope that they won't grow up glued to screens but will instead enjoy playing outside and using all of their muscles. The kids are great fans of being able to watch something while they enjoy their fruit. So perhaps I'm already ruining the whole no screen conditioning...

They also like to ask whether I need to charge the car, because that means more screen time... yeah, there is no hope.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Window

As you can tell, the cupholder does actually get some use in my car. For what I have in my car when it comes to drinks, I find the cupholder to be sufficient and I can still rest my arm comfortable in that area. I did remove the second cupholder almost immediately after I got my car for a little more storage space under the armrest. It's sitting in my study along with the clips from the isofix points.

Range

Because one of the clients I currently visit is just shy of 300km (185m) away I've done some range tests to see what I would get in the Polestar in real world (winter) setting.

I've done this roundtrip twice now, one the week after I got the car and the second was earlier today.

1st trip was on the stock 19" summer tires that came with the car. Outside temperature was 6-7 degrees Celsius (44-42 F) for the entire day and I did use a timer while the car was connected to the charger in the morning. I had my car charged to 100% just to be sure as the route is literally 99% highway driving. From my home to get on the highway is under 3km, and the client is located at the bottom of the highway exit.

I drove the entire route with the ACC set to 110km/h (68m/h) which is slightly over the speed limit in the Netherlands (100km/h | 62m/h) and under the speed limit in Belgium for most of the way (120km/h | 75m/h) and my driving was calm, no heavy foot used just normal acceleration. Climate was set to ECO and the steering and seat heating with set to medium. On the way back I did not turn on the pre-conditioning (only heating, no charger at the client) as it was 6/7 degrees and sunny. I managed to get 20,3kWh/100km over the entire trip. It used 76% of my battery meaning that 100% would have gotten me 370km (230m) under these conditions.

Gadget Font Screenshot Display device Electronic device

The second time I did this trip was today. This was on winter tires, the Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 to be precise and with some colder conditions. It was 3 degrees Celsius (37F) when I left this morning and it actually dropped to 0C (32) at the destination. I used a timer this morning and the car was once again charged to 100% and connected to the charger. It was nice and warm when I got in and no snowflake next to the battery. Same conditions applied as the previous trip, ACC set to 110km/h the entire way, climate set to ECO and steering and seat heating set to medium. I did turn on the preconditioning in this case as now it was 0C and foggy, this costs me about 2% in battery when I left. Over the entire trip I now managed 23.1kWh/100km. I used 85% of my battery for this trip, so 100% would have given me a range of 333km (206m). I think it's both the winter tires and temperature which cost me those extra 40km.

Font Gadget Screenshot Display device Auto part

(I forgot to reset the TM at the start, I did so after 7,2km so trip was 283,4km)

Two days after I made my first trip, I drove to the office in Belgium. It was actually -4C (24F) that day. I used a heavier foot and in the NL I drove 110km/h and in Belgium 130km/h (80m/h), this because the office has a charger and it's about 122km (75m) away. The range I got that day was still a good 330km for 100%, so that was actually better than the trip today. So I definitely think the winter tires are costing the car some range (as I still had the summer tires on).

In general though, I don't care about the range, it's good enough and if required I'll just put in on a charger and in reality if I need a fast charger along the route I wouldn't need more than 5-10m to get me home. But still I was curious what I would get in winter. I would assume that in summer temperatures a similar driving style would net me over 400km. I don't know if I get to test it out on this client, depends on when spring decides to start compared to their Go Live.

Problems/Issues/Annoyances

So far I've been pretty trouble free in the car knock on wood. I've had some LTE signal loss and I've noticed two different situations:
  1. Loss of LTE signal only, GPS and everything else still functions. In this case the TCAM reset (holding the defrost button) works, the SOS light will blink red. In most case it also restored my LTE, in one case it didn't but it came back about 30 min later, so I assume this was solely an issue on the network side of things.
  2. Loss of LTE, GPS and other issues. In this case the TCAM reset does nothing no matter how long I press the button or how often I reset the infotainment before doing so. The SOS light just will not blink red. Let alone that it actually finishes anything.
I've had the 1st issue a total of 3 times, 2 of which a TCAM reset gave me back LTE and the other time as mentioned it came back 30min later.

I have had the 2nd issue once, I went an entire day without LTE, GPS, etc. The same issue many have had. I went to perform the 12V and TCAM Battery disconnect at night, but I didn't get past the 12V disconnect because I did not have a 7mm wrench to get to the TCAM battery. I did disconnect the 12V battery using the back bolt, and not the angled one. I decided to reconnect the 12V and try again later in the week once I had located a 7mm wrench, but lo-and-behold everything was back to functioning when I got in the car the next day.

The GPS issue is a little annoying because it renders GM useless, but for the rest these issues don't bother me.

One other issue I had was that when I parked the car in reverse and I had both mirrors set to automatically dip for reverse and I then turned the car in park and left it. Next time I would come back and start the car the driver side mirror would remain dipped and not return to the position it should be in. The issue was easily fixed by first hitting 'D' before putting it in park as that would have the mirrors reset before shutting the car off. However, the issue is now completely gone because I turned off the auto dip anyway as I came to find I hate it. In some case I'll use it, but then I'll just manually dip the driver side mirror. In these case I haven't had an issue with it returning yet.

The last thing to note is that I have not received 1.8 OTA. It's booked in to go to the shop on Wednesday so that they can perform the upgrade there. Again, not something that really bothers me. Sure it would be nice to use the Vivaldi browser (and give my kids even more video options), but meh...

Other

One thing I have noted, and I don't know if @EV1 has noticed this as well, I know your cross the border in the Benelux very frequently as well, is that whenever I cross the border from NL to BE or BE to NL, the car seems to perform a TCAM reset by itself. The following will happen:

I cross the border and lose LTE signal from NL, it will then pick up the LTE signal in Belgium (or vice versa), usually pretty fast. And about a 1 minute or so later the SOS light starts blinking red, LTE is gone again, the SOS light stops trying to give me a seizure and LTE is back. It has consistently done this every time I cross the border. Again, not a problem, but something I found funny nonetheless.

As for when it comes to CS, I've had contact will Polestar a few times, both through the connect button (1.8 update and GPS not working) as over the chat (just general question) and all my interactions have been positive. The guys and gals on the other end have done what they could to help me with the questions I had, they were polite and helpful. I have no complaints. When it comes to service, in my case the update to 1.8, all I have to do is call my local Volvo Dealer and make an appointment. They will handle everything with Polestar & my lease company. So also here it's very easy.

One more picture for the readers:

Tire Wheel Sky Car Vehicle

Conclusion:

The car is absolutely amazing. I've very happy to be out of the heap of junk I was driving before this (Renault Kadjar, didn't have much choice with the previous company car, was a different company too) and to be in the Polestar. Before the Kadjar I had always owned a Volvo (S80, S40 and V40) so this car feels like coming home. I think the Thor's Hammer headlights are quite possibly the best looking headlights ever designed for a car. I personally love the interior and the center console, not to fussed about storage space as I can put everything in the car that I need in there.

The only downside for me is that the back of the trunk isn't as wide as I thought and my golfclubs don't fit so comfortable in there (as I have them in there most of the time and I use the front of the trunk to put my workbag, or groceries and the like). But that's a first world problem, so again not something that's super important to me.

· Registered
505 Posts
After that long write up I have one question.
i never tested the golf clubs when I ordered. Will it fit if you remove the woods? I usually do that with my sports car.

· Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After that long write up I have one question.
i never tested the golf clubs when I ordered. Will it fit if you remove the woods? I usually do that with my sports car.
Yes, it fits without the woods, barely (my 3 iron is snug in there). And I had to remove my umbrella because it stuck out to far too. My main 'issue' is that the woods don't fit behind the divider with the divider up.

Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Motor vehicle Car Luggage and bags Hood Trunk

It's only an annoyance because I have the bag in there most of the time. If I would only put it in there when I go play, I could put it in the front part and there would be zero issues with it fitting. So, a luxury problem for sure.

· Registered
Polestar 2 Launch Edition (Thunder/Slate)
2,073 Posts
Quick note, you don’t need a 7mm wrench to disconnect the TCAM backup battery. It’s far easier to just pull the carpet trim above the 12V socket (held by just a clip) and disconnect it from there, the connector is facing backwards so it’s easier to unclip it too with a screwdriver.

Thats what Volvo Assist did on mine.

· Registered
505 Posts
Thanks for the photos. There is plenty of room for a few bags. Taking out the woods is a non issue. Scared me for a sec that it wouldn't fit in diagonally.

Yes, it fits without the woods, barely (my 3 iron is snug in there). And I had to remove my umbrella because it stuck out to far too. My main 'issue' is that the woods don't fit behind the divider with the divider up.

View attachment 10543

View attachment 10544

It's only an annoyance because I have the bag in there most of the time. If I would only put it in there when I go play, I could put it in the front part and there would be zero issues with it fitting. So, a luxury problem for sure.

· Registered
3,357 Posts

View attachment 10543

View attachment 10544

I always think the divider is the wrong way around as it would be easier if the items were in front of the divider then behind it. Achieves the same thing but easier to get things out without having to put the divider back down again

· Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I always think the divider is the wrong way around as it would be easier if the items were in front of the divider then behind it. Achieves the same thing but easier to get things out without having to put the divider back down again
But they are for the purpose that I use it. As in I use the divider mainly for my laptop bag, or groceries and such. So they'll be in front of it and the divider will help keep all items in place with the hooks and the elastic strap. My golfclubs are behind it because I have them in the car most of the time but I want to have the space and easy access to put other stuff in there for the daily use.

Thanks for the photos. There is plenty of room for a few bags. Taking out the woods is a non issue. Scared me for a sec that it wouldn't fit in diagonally.
Yeah, enough room, just not for the way I use it. What is nice though is that I keep everything else in the underfloor storage, so my shoes, hats, etc. are all under there as you have plenty of space for that. We'll move to a new house next year (they have to build it first) and that one should have better space for my golfbag inside (in our current house there is no place to put it without it being in the way) so I won't be carrying it around in the car all the time anymore.

· Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quick note, you don’t need a 7mm wrench to disconnect the TCAM backup battery. It’s far easier to just pull the carpet trim above the 12V socket (held by just a clip) and disconnect it from there, the connector is facing backwards so it’s easier to unclip it too with a screwdriver.

Thats what Volvo Assist did on mine.
Yeah, I read your post after I tried mine :). Hopefully I won't have to try it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.