Polestar Forum banner
441 - 460 of 581 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
kph? mph? metres? Give us a clue on which SI unit ;-) Anyway, the marketing states "boosting acceleration between 44 and 80 mph, and reducing 0–60 mph", so a claimed improvement for what you're talking about, but no accurate times as yet
Kph so effectively 62 - 124mph

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's interesting you describe it as feeling more nimble - a few of us who've got/driven the single motor describe the same feeling.

Obviously the SM doesn't have the same power but the pedal response does feel different than in the DM - more responsive.

I wasn't sure if it was just down to the lighter weight, but maybe it is also a different throttle mapping more in line with the performance upgrade.
Interesting. I have the DM PP, so couldn’t resist this upgrade. I’m a fool for this sort of stuff and tend to be an early adopter. But I am pleased with the development. Nimble and lighter, and amazing the things they can do remotely! Just hope they sort some of the more fundamental issues and glitches.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Interesting. I have the DM PP, so couldn’t resist this upgrade. I’m a fool for this sort of stuff and tend to be an early adopter. But I am pleased with the development. Nimble and lighter, and amazing the things they can do remotely! Just hope they sort some of the more fundamental issues and glitches.
Where do you actually buy this - I can't find the UK "shop"?

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2 350kW, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
3,275 Posts
I'm wondering if some aspects of P1.8 have been included in this update...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes, you can add a tune on us leased car. Look at polestar for Volvo and dinan used to be for bmw.
Your icon shows a US flag, same for me. But I think EU/UK are quite different. Some parts of the world register cars different than we do. Adding more power could change the classification of the car, and be a need to change how the car is taxed etc. I’m not 100% entirely confident in how this works, but in some countries the power change might be a problem that the leasing companies don’T want to deal with..?

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
It's interesting you describe it as feeling more nimble - a few of us who've got/driven the single motor describe the same feeling.

Obviously the SM doesn't have the same power but the pedal response does feel different than in the DM - more responsive.

I wasn't sure if it was just down to the lighter weight, but maybe it is also a different throttle mapping more in line with the performance upgrade.
This doesn't completely surprise me. With less power overall, the initial take off is all that more important to make the car feel peppy. Whereas if you have more power available, restraining the throttle makes the car more drivable. I'd be interested to see the 0-30 times of both cars. It might not be all that different.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 Dual Motor Launch Edition 2021 - Void
174 Posts
Not sure why so may people are saying the software is not for leased vehicles.
Because Polestar has come out saying it's not for leased vehicles at the moment. And this is not in relation to the US because the upgrade is not available there at all for the moment. But for instance in the Netherlands where it is available it works differently. My car will be a company car and I will lease it from Arval, they are billing my company for the car. So Arval is buying the Polestar from Polestar and I will be leasing it (through my company) from them. Meaning, Arval is the actual owner of the car, but I have the polestar ID.

So if I was to go into the webshop and purchase the upgrade, I would be upgrading a car that I do not own and I am simply not allowed to make that decision without approval from Arval (and my company, because it would increase the lease price). But the way the upgrade is sold at the moment is that you buy it by logging in with your Polestar ID and going to the webshop, meaning I could bypass Arval at the moment.

Polestar is probably looking for a way to offer this option to leased vehicles through the actual owner (the lease company) instead of to the driver of the car. I would like to have this upgrade, but only if I could have it included in my lease, because there is no way my wife would allow me to spend a 1000,- EUR on this now that we just bought a new house (a new build) and that money is better spend on that house than me having some more giggles in my car. So I would want to the upgrade, but Arval should be the one ordering and paying for it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Because Polestar has come out saying it's not for leased vehicles at the moment. And this is not in relation to the US because the upgrade is not available there at all for the moment. But for instance in the Netherlands where it is available it works differently. My car will be a company car and I will lease it from Arval, they are billing my company for the car. So Arval is buying the Polestar from Polestar and I will be leasing it (through my company) from them. Meaning, Arval is the actual owner of the car, but I have the polestar ID.

So if I was to go into the webshop and purchase the upgrade, I would be upgrading a car that I do not own and I am simply not allowed to make that decision without approval from Arval (and my company, because it would increase the lease price). But the way the upgrade is sold at the moment is that you buy it by logging in with your Polestar ID and going to the webshop, meaning I could bypass Arval at the moment.

Polestar is probably looking for a way to offer this option to leased vehicles through the actual owner (the lease company) instead of to the driver of the car. I would like to have this upgrade, but only if I could have it included in my lease, because there is no way my wife would allow me to spend a 1000,- EUR on this now that we just bought a new house (a new build) and that money is better spend on that house than me having some more giggles in my car. So I would want to the upgrade, but Arval should be the one ordering and paying for it.
Thanks for the explanation! Wow I want to work for your company!

·
Registered
Polestar 2 Dual Motor Launch Edition 2021 - Void
174 Posts
Thanks for the explanation! Wow I want to work for your company!
It's not free for me. A company car is seen as a salary component (when also used for personal travel), so a certain percentage of the value of your car is added to your annual salary, meaning you pay tax over it. For ICE cars this is 22% and for fully electric vehicles it's 12% over the first 40k and 22% over the rest for cars registered in 2021. For cars registered in 2022 this is upped to 16% over the first 35k + 22% over the rest.

So for me, with the P2 having a value of 58.900 in my configuration (FE, Void, 19"):

12% over 40.000 = 4.800
22% over 58.900 - 40.0000 = 4.158
In total 8.958 is added to my yearly income, and I pay 49,5% tax over this, so 4.434,21, or 370,- a month. On top of this I lose some of the tax rebate I get because on paper my income is higher, so in total the car will cost me 414 a month (when registered in 2022 this would be 501,- a month).

Now granted, I pay 414,- to own a polestar and everything is included (maintenance, winter tires, insurance, etc.) and that totals only 17.760 over the 4 year lease. So that's a steal. Plus all my charging costs are covered by the company (I'll be reimbursed for home charging & I've a card for all other charging, plus installation of the home charger + upgrade for 3 fase charging is included). But I will never own the car myself, unless I buy it when the lease is up.

But yeah, it's a very common arrangement in the Netherlands when you work in consulting or other jobs that require you to regularly travel for work.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Has anyone got some revised 100-200 times that is what interests me as the standard car seems to die off once it hits 60mph and is slower than a decent hot hatch.
My estimate suggests that this will drop from around 12 seconds to 9.7 seconds ish. Lots of room for error as I had to guess drag coefficients and frontal area.

·
Administrator
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #456 ·
My estimate suggests that this will drop from around 12 seconds to 9.7 seconds ish. Lots of room for error as I had to guess drag coefficients and frontal area.
0-100kmh was 4.7s, 0-200kmh was 18.3s, so 100-200 was 13,6s. Does that help your simulation?

Reactions: rgledhill

·
Super Moderator
3,275 Posts
By the way, there's an FAQ on the performance upgrade which might answer some questions:

For instance, it's not available to owners of second-hand cars - sorry @Mg nPP ! They're working on a way round this, apparently. Not really sure why this would be a problem...

·
Super Moderator
3,275 Posts
Just had a follow-up email from Polestar about the upgrade. The text goes:

Hello Richard,

The Performance software upgrade is now successfully installed in your Polestar 2.

The Performance software upgrade significantly increases the pedal map torque ramp rate, delivering more acceleration when you need it most. We’ll continue to support your upgrade with updates in the future, so you’ll always enjoy peak performance.

What happens next?
The Performance software upgrade may affect your insurance policy. Make sure to contact your insurance provider to discuss the change of specification.

You’ll receive a package with new stickers for your car’s side doors. Instructions explaining how to remove the old decals and mount the new set will be included.

A few interesting things in there then - confirmation of the accelerator pedal remapping, and a pointer towards insurance...

There's also an update page with information on it:

This includes confirmation that there's no decrease in range:

The performance software upgrade does not affect Polestar 2’s energy consumption. The OTA installation is an efficient way to deliver enhanced performance using fewer resources.

·
Registered
283 Posts
0-100kmh was 4.7s, 0-200kmh was 18.3s, so 100-200 was 13,6s. Does that help your simulation?
Useful data, many thanks.
Unfortunately my simple simulation is is predicting somewhat less to 200kph. I have ignored any wind or incline, that would make a difference in the real world.

Updated the file with correct drag coefficient and frontal area so minor changes. This is really only ever going to be "directionally correct", as I said, just a bit of fun.

441 - 460 of 581 Posts