Polestar Forum banner
461 - 480 of 581 Posts

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Can it be disengaged? Thinking about this from my experience of BMWs that had selectable Comfort and various Sport modes.
They have stated once updated there is no way to turn off/on or remove this feature.

Reactions: krheinwald

·
Administrator
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #462 ·
The performance software upgrade does not affect Polestar 2’s energy consumption. The OTA installation is an efficient way to deliver enhanced performance using fewer resources.
That doesn't surprise me and I expected as much - for 'normal' driving.
It's a different story, if you use the extra kWs frequently, as higher acceleration results in higher losses in the drive train.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Can it be disengaged? Thinking about this from my experience of BMWs that had selectable Comfort and various Sport modes.
No, it can't and I don't really think it needs it. Most cars with a 'sport' mode often change other physical handling characteristics like shocks or steering, whereas this is purely a change in power and accelerator mapping. Whilst all across the pedal range it's more responsive, it's not so much that you can't still drive it smoothly once you've quickly readjusted to the new feel of the accelerator at low speeds. Furthermore, with ICE cars you often suffer worst consumption in Sport mode, whereas for regular driving there's no efficiency penalty with this upgrade - as a 120 mile mixed drive returning 30.5 kW/100m confirmed to me yesterday.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I like the fact that they will update the performance update. Let’s hope for some additional power and/or software tweaks :)
Yeah, I think their statement can be read in different ways.

At best, "We're planning to make further performance-related upgrades, and you'll automatically get them"

At worst, "This upgrade won't stop you getting normal routine updates to your car"

·
Registered
Thunder, non PP, towbar
201 Posts
I inferred that further updates to the upgrade would not incur further charges.

From what I remember of the last BMW I owned which had adaptive suspension it was possible to configure the Sport mode to change the drivetrain and suspension either together or separately. There was an added Sport setting on the automatic gearbox for full on scalded cat mode.

Incidentally I stumbled across this flash sale which might be of interest to anyone who also owns a non-Polestar Polestar, i.e. a Volvo:

Although £372.50 is a comparative steal even the standard retail price of £745 is better value than £975 for the Polestar 2. I realise that these seem to sharpen the cars' responsiveness rather than having a major effect on acceleration but the principle is otherwise the same. And a fully loaded XC90 is a lot more expensive than a Polestar 2.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just had a follow-up email from Polestar about the upgrade. The text goes:

Hello Richard,

The Performance software upgrade is now successfully installed in your Polestar 2.

The Performance software upgrade significantly increases the pedal map torque ramp rate, delivering more acceleration when you need it most. We’ll continue to support your upgrade with updates in the future, so you’ll always enjoy peak performance.

What happens next?
The Performance software upgrade may affect your insurance policy. Make sure to contact your insurance provider to discuss the change of specification.

You’ll receive a package with new stickers for your car’s side doors. Instructions explaining how to remove the old decals and mount the new set will be included.

A few interesting things in there then - confirmation of the accelerator pedal remapping, and a pointer towards insurance...

There's also an update page with information on it:

This includes confirmation that there's no decrease in range:

The performance software upgrade does not affect Polestar 2’s energy consumption. The OTA installation is an efficient way to deliver enhanced performance using fewer resources.
So you got it installed!?!?

Well, how is it?

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2 350kW, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
3,275 Posts
So you got it installed!?!?

Well, how is it?
See post #402, a few pages back...

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2 350kW, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
3,275 Posts
So for me, at the moment, I wish I'd not spent the cash. The improved reaction on the throttle pedal is nice but really is a placebo as it just makes you think the car's faster when it's not, you just need less of a prod on the accelerator to make it go. And beyond 45mph... yes, it does carry on pulling hard, but you're at the speed limit on an A road another second later and only gain max 0.5s. If I'd tested them back to back, I would have decided against spending the money.

The acid test - if P1.8 goes on and wipes out this upgrade, would I notice? Probably not!

·
Administrator
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #471 ·
So for me, at the moment, I wish I'd not spent the cash. The improved reaction on the throttle pedal is nice but really is a placebo as it just makes you think the car's faster when it's not, you just need less of a prod on the accelerator to make it go. And beyond 45mph... yes, it does carry on pulling hard, but you're at the speed limit on an A road another second later and only gain max 0.5s. If I'd tested them back to back, I would have decided against spending the money.
Thanks for the wise words. I needed those.

On the other hand, though :unsure:

Reactions: rgledhill

·
Registered
Ordered MY 2022 on Friday 13th of August! Long Range Dual-Motor, Snow/Nappa, Pilot, Plus, Tow hitch
376 Posts
I guess where it would make a difference is on the Nürburgring, where you're working the acceleration right up to VMAX, but for us mortals, nah! I can have some nice meals out for that money!

·
Registered
330 Posts

The acid test - if P1.8 goes on and wipes out this upgrade, would I notice? Probably not!
I think your post is a good reflection of the update.

I can't help but think that the PP and this update are only relevant for people wanting to take the car around the track, which isn't many people. I think the remap of throttle response will make a difference if you can push the car to its limits. Otherwise its because it makes you feel good and let's be honest that's why you spend this much money on a car.

I think I preferred the throttle response pre upgrade with more give at the beginning as its less comfortable to feather the peddle to maintain speed.

I definitely think you feel the mid speed boost, but then I wasnt concerned about overtaking before so again it's like it is not needed as an improvement.

I'm not sure I wouldn't have bought it in hindsight but it feels a bit early to make that call. I have to say i love flooring it when at lights (most are in 50 or 70 zones on my commute) and I'm not getting bored of that so maybe the boost will keep me entertained a little longer.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts

This reminds me of the sport mode in the Volt. It made the car feel a lot quicker off the line but all it really did was remap the pedal with no increase at all in actual power. So you could do the same thing just by pressing your foot down faster.

I'll express again my thoughts that the P2 is so quick as it is, that unless you have a specific need (e.g. tracking) there's little use of the upgrade in daily driving.

·
Registered
Ordered MY 2022 on Friday 13th of August! Long Range Dual-Motor, Snow/Nappa, Pilot, Plus, Tow hitch
376 Posts
.. or for added entertainment, just visit an online "Stickers" site

I'm having a really hard time trying to explain what I want for wheel centercap decals 🤣 Two days in, on design #10 and still not sure whether they can do what I want

·
Registered
2022 LRDM - Thunder, Charcoal, Plus, Performance
8 Posts
I lease through a salary sacrifice arrangement so I contacted the leasing company to ask for permission hoping that they could get Polestar to enable the option in the webshop for me.

They have no problem with me upgrading but have no way to tell Polestar that they have given their permission so I can't upgrade yet.

They did contact Polestar directly and the response is that they are working on updating the fleet management system to allow lease companies and employers to enable the option in the future. Until then there is no workaround as the upgrade can not be installed offline so looks like I have to wait until then 😞

·
Registered
684 Posts

I'm in a similar frame of mind. The throttle mapping is significantly different but just essentially bringing existing power forward, but it does continue to pull well. They haven't mis-sold it , it does what it says, and the purchase/installation process was seamless (hurrah!).

Would I miss it? No.
Would I have selected it at as an optional extra at purchase? Yes. (extra HP for less than a grand? Yes please!).
Would you have been pleased with the acceleration anyway with or without the upgrade at purchase? Yes.
Is anyone missing out by not choosing to have it? (or can't have it). No you're not, IMHO

I don't regret it, I don't feel cheated, would I buy it over again? Not sure at the moment, it's too early to say, need a bit more time with it.

There 's been a handful of occasions overtaking on A-roads, where I've had my foot to the floor, and the extra pull above 40mph would be useful. so maybe that's what'll make me appreciate it.

·
Administrator
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #480 ·
There 's been a handful of occasions overtaking on A-roads, where I've had my foot to the floor, and the extra pull above 40mph would be useful.
I know exactly what you mean. When overtaking the first few times, I thought 'Wow, I only need half as much free road". Over the summer, I realized I had reset my reference, and that the extra safety margin was basically gone 😬 And I'm sure it wouldn't be any different with 50kW more.

461 - 480 of 581 Posts