41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2021 2
2,397 Posts

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Wagons still exist. They just have to be called Crossovers or else no one will buy them 😆

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·

Reactions: polerad

·
Registered
2021 2
2,397 Posts
I do find myself warming up to the design. polestar is still better looking. But if done from the same starting point, depending on how the test drives went, I could see going for this based on the expected range/charging benefits. Still think would’ve ended up in the Polestar since I imagine this would drive like the Kona or Niro and Polestar handles much better and looks much better too.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,397 Posts
This kinda explains the design roots of the Ioniq5:

and makes me realize that I have a gaping hole in my life that can only be filled with nixie tubes.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Whenever I think of Hyundais I'm reminded of a young mother who was killed in this community a couple of years ago. She was waiting to turn left on a two lane and was rear-ended by a truck. The car just folded like a tin can. I keep thinking that if she'd been driving something like a Volvo or MB she might have survived.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·

6% to 80% in 20min's!

·
Registered
632 Posts
They build an otherwise cheap car, so they have plenty of cost structure left 😆
Maybe, and that Ionic 5 isn’t cheap. Seems that voltage changes aren’t too expensive, but maybe 800V battery chemistry is where the cost difference lies.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,397 Posts
Maybe, and that Ionic 5 isn’t cheap. Seems that voltage changes aren’t too expensive, but maybe 800V battery chemistry is where the cost difference lies.
dont know if it’s the battery itself. Arranging the cells into 800V instead of 400V is just a matter of how much is wired in series or parallel. I could see the C rate of the battery chemistry being a factor but that’s not intrinsic to the voltage but more the total kW that can be pumped in

I wonder if you need more of or a specific type of insulation to prevent breakdown and then shorts with that high voltage coursing through solid state architectures and if that’s the issue. Not so much thermal breakdown because the currents would be lower. But more that that high voltage will want to jump to any lower voltage points more readily.

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
Good for them! But I do wonder if there's a significant effect on battery longevity.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Read an article about 800V possibly having some higher degradation, but there are other benefits outweighing that, lower Amp requirements, less heat, higher output etc. And they probably cost a bit more, but I think the main reason is that most consumers just don't care. They charge at home and buy IDs and Teslas. Remember that all the IDs with its cousins have drum brakes....if you are in the market for ancient braking, you don't care about the battery voltage 😁.

Attachments

41 - 57 of 57 Posts