Polestar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not much of interest, more reference to "disturbance" - I love the use of that word in the 4G fiasco (or lack of).

Explanation of why they have moved to LTE.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Not much of interest, more reference to "disturbance" - I love the use of that word in the 4G fiasco (or lack of).

Explanation of why they have moved to LTE.

The are further updates since you posted, outlining the next OTA update, that people picked up on Facebook

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
I'm just glad to see things are moving in the OTA updates area. I imagine the frequency and new features will improve with time.

Reactions: fabrice

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The are further updates since you posted, outlining the next OTA update, that people picked up on Facebook
That is a tad annoying - what could be the reason for allowing workshops to update but not providing it an OTA update?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
That is a tad annoying - what could be the reason for allowing workshops to update but not providing it an OTA update?
Probably so they can make sure there aren't any deal breaker issues they didn't catch in QA.

If they install and something breaks, they can more easily roll back (and troubleshoot).

Reactions: polerad

·
Registered
2021 2
2,586 Posts
If the car bricks during an update the shop can deal without letting the customer even know and get bothered

My iPhone has stalled or bricked during past updates. Easy enough to reset my phone and not get too worried. Even understanding that I’d be more annoyed by that happening to the car I need to get to work when already late and I haven’t had my coffee.

Polestar is more conservative than Tesla. That means we won’t have the same instant gratification but hopefully in aggregate deal with less instances like that.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I get that, but if that is the case they are not OTA, you don’t get major computer or phone manufacturers expecting devices to be taken in. It feels like they are using the service centres as test beds.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,586 Posts
I get that, but if that is the case they are not OTA, you don’t get major computer or phone manufacturers expecting devices to be taken in. It feels like they are using the service centres as test beds.
I think it's like the charging curve. They intend to get to proper OTAs launched for all relatively quickly a la Tesla or Apple. But they need X months to feel comfortable with the whole process before it gets to the more ideal situation that we want.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Computers have been doing OTA updates for years, and it is a well established and tested method of updating with all the protective bells and whistles should something go wrong. Updating car computers isn't new, but doing it OTA is, especially when you consider how much functionality is being added, so I can't blame a company like Polestar being cautious with the early rollouts.

Keep in mind, if an OTA is disrupted you can brick your device. It's easy to take your computer or phone in, but your car? Makes sense to do the first batch of updates in a service bay where they can make sure things go as expected before they open the taps.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Should also mention, since it seems there are OTA updates rolling out in other countries, the delay might be a Polestar UK thing. May be cautious because of the other issues that have plagued the cars.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Polestar is more conservative than Tesla.
One of the many reasons I went with Polestar and not Tesla.

Also, I think updates requiring a major version bump of the OS should be done conservatively; speaking from experience here.🙂 There are uncountable fuckeries in the kernel, and non-backwards compatibilities which need to be accounted for.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts