Polestar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While chauffeuring my kids to and fro, I often find myself pulling into a parking spot to wait for them, putting the car in "Park" and wanting to do two things: (1) turn the headlights off and (2) not interrupt the music. I only can think of two options, neither of which I like:

1) The obvious one - turn the headlights off using the switch on the stalk. I don't like this because I don't want to forget to turn them on later.

2) The annoying one - power off the car with the play button, and then restart the music with the play button. This is awkward, and interrupts the music. But this option has the advantage the lights will come on automatically when I put the car in gear.

Is there a better solution?

Note that In some ICE cars it is possible to achieve this by turning the key only part way off, or turning it all the way off but not removing the key.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I was thinking about this today as I was in the exact scenario. My old car had push button start, so I had to turn it off, then put it into ACC mode, kinda like the power down method you mention. At least in that car if I turned the headlights off, the handbrake being up would turn off the parking lights. No idea how to do that in this car.

Reactions: KRS

·
Registered
Void, Charcoal
269 Posts
While chauffeuring my kids to and fro, I often find myself pulling into a parking spot to wait for them, putting the car in "Park" and wanting to do two things: (1) turn the headlights off and (2) not interrupt the music. I only can think of two options, neither of which I like:

1) The obvious one - turn the headlights off using the switch on the stalk. I don't like this because I don't want to forget to turn them on later.

2) The annoying one - power off the car with the play button, and then restart the music with the play button. This is awkward, and interrupts the music. But this option has the advantage the lights will come on automatically when I put the car in gear.

Is there a better solution?

Note that In some ICE cars it is possible to achieve this by turning the key only part way off, or turning it all the way off but not removing the key.
I have the same problem. My current solution: Open the driver's door a crack and immediately close it again.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the same problem. My current solution: Open the driver's door a crack and immediately close it again.
Aha! Not super-elegant, but this is the best solution listed so far. Any better ideas, anyone?

·
Registered
Void, Charcoal
269 Posts
Hey another Void owner from Chicago!
Greetings! 😎
I know of at least one more PS2 owner in Chicago (unless that's actually you). I even met them very briefly because the DMV managed to mis-route my plates to them (along with theirs). Fortunately they tracked me down online and contacted me. 😅 Didn't see their car, so I can't say what color it is.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Greetings! 😎
I know of at least one more PS2 owner in Chicago (unless that's actually you). I even met them very briefly because the DMV managed to mis-route my plates to them (along with theirs). Fortunately they tracked me down online and contacted me. 😅 Didn't see their car, so I can't say what color it is.
Not me! I can't even get my own plates let alone someone else's! Nice to meet you.

Reactions: Joel S.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ironically, the only reason that this "solution" works is due to the strange decision to have media stop playing when the driver gets out of the seat as opposed to opening the door. Changing the media stop to coincide with the door opening (which many here favor) would then break this solution.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
873 Posts
I think the real irony is removing the ignition switch in the interests of improving the user experience and actually making it worse.

On paper it sounds good, eg here:

In practice it just saves me pressing a button some times, but makes me press more buttons some other times (especially my wife if she is waiting in the car and wants heating or radio to stay on).

After two months, to me at least, it doesn’t look like it was a clever decision to rely on the seat occupancy sensor.

I would also have preferred it if music stopped when the door was opened, and also if it faded out quickly instead of just abruptly stopping, but I’m nitpicking now!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts