Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I m trying to ID the exact location, but it seems to be coming from that little speaker high up on the A-pillar.
Although I am not 100% sure that is where it is coming from.

It is more of a high pitched - fast - electric rattle...

Saw that some people had the issue behind the steering wheel, but I don't think mine is coming from there.

Thanks

·
Registered
2021 2
2,602 Posts
I hear mechanical-type clicks at an irregular/unpredictable rate when driving at low speed or slowing to a stop at a light. It sounds like it's from lower down than the A-pillar on the driver's side. I had assumed it was from the wheels/brakes.
So guessing it's different from what you're saying?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is hard to pinpoint, but sounds like mine is much higher.
Does that speaker even work on the A-pillar? I do not hear anything from it.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,602 Posts
It is hard to pinpoint, but sounds like mine is much higher.
Does that speaker even work on the A-pillar? I do not hear anything from it.
I thought that was a microphone?

hmm - could your thing be feedback?

·
Registered
629 Posts
I've noticed some sounds, but believe it's from the window glass on the rubber. Only noticed it last night so haven't had a chance to fiddle around with it. Try putting the window down a bit (in a quiet area away from heavy traffic) and see if it goes away? I had this issue on my old Porsche and ended up with a simple rubber lubricant to solve the issue.

Reactions: rgledhill

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've noticed some sounds, but believe it's from the window glass on the rubber. Only noticed it last night so haven't had a chance to fiddle around with it. Try putting the window down a bit (in a quiet area away from heavy traffic) and see if it goes away? I had this issue on my old Porsche and ended up with a simple rubber lubricant to solve the issue.
Thanks, will try.

·
Registered
Non PP, Midnight, Load Bars
138 Posts
Only noise i have had is ice in the drain channels breaking up as i drive.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not the microphone. It is a very fast vibration sound mostly at slow speeds. It is high pitched and driving me crazy!

·
Registered
2021 2
2,602 Posts
Not the microphone. It is a very fast vibration sound mostly at slow speeds. It is high pitched and driving me crazy!
On my A-pillar I see a speaker or microphone higher up and one further down near where it meets the dash. My ticks may be coming from near that lower one.

In my case, I'm wondering if it's a fault speaker or maybe something about the speed/volume modulation that's going awry and throwing ticks?

·
Registered
463 Posts
@Jeff_in_SF You nailed it ! I was about to write a separate post about it, just know when I saw this thread about A post noise. At least it's not me getting paranoid !
I 100% agree it's the glass on the rubber. It's more than just some friction between glass and rubber. It's so clear and and it's on both passenger and driver side. Having said that the A-pillar noise referred to in this thread could also be something else again. My car actually has to go in for leaky windows (both windows on the back leak from the top (between glass and rubber) after a very gentle wash with a garden hose (from 2-3 m distance) and not even directed on the window, but over the roof.
I would use the word "shuddering". It's as if they are just loose in the door when actualy closed. Both front windows are shuddering when I drive over the smallest imperfection in the road. Just a bit at 40 km/hr but really heavily during 110 km/hr. At first I thought I did not close my door properly. That noise was not there when I first got the car, it's only started about a week ago. Moving windows up and down to "re-close" does not make any difference - it's there consistently every day now.
The Tech said he would need to attempt to recalibrate the rear windows. I did not yet mention anything about the shuddering of the front windows as I thought it was just me being picky.
Note that the closing was a known issue and that the Nov 1 update fixed this by closing the rear windows tighter. My windows only move a tiny bit laterally when you try to move them with your palm, where I noted on a earlier test drive model that they really "floated" - 1/3 inch would be no exaggeration. But that was only with the rear windows.

Anybody else out there with the same ?

window1.jpg
window2.jpg
window3.jpg

·
Registered
629 Posts
Oof, don't like seeing that from the rear windows. I drove through a monsoon this afternoon after getting the latest Android 10 update installed at the dealership and no leaking issues from my glass, but I didn't have on the Nov update either.

There is a lot of pressure on these windows that don't go up into a frame so very small disturbances can make a racket; good news is it's really not hard to fix. If they happen to mention a lubricant on the front windows rubber seals, please share what brand - I can't remember what I used all those years ago. I know this is not a case for WD-40 ;)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My sound is a very fast vibration (not too loud) at slow speed over the smallest bumps. I have tried to push on everything with no luck. I thought it may be mic feedback, but it is not.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,888 Posts
The best rubber lubricant I've used was silicone. It's fantastic for stopping doors sticking shut in cold weather too - spray it into a cloth and wipe it over the rubber door seals. It's also good for stopping charging cables getting stuck on the sicket when cold.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,602 Posts
I think I figured out my noise!

When the motor output shuts off, going to regen, I hear the click. And I hear it again when the braking level gets to a certain amount - perhaps when it switches on the friction brakes at the lowest end of speed.

I verified it in OPD Standard, Low, and off - basically when the motors are turning off there's a click, maybe due to a relay ?

Main question - is this something to be concerned about? Is this usual to have an audible signal of the shift from motor-->regen-->friction?
I can only hear it at low speeds possibly because the overall noise is so low then; I definitely don't notice it at >30mph or so.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,888 Posts
That's strange. There definitely isn't a relay click as the motor is never actually turned off through relays, it's all managed through solid state electronics and software. I guess it's possible it's turning something else on/off but I can't imagine what.

It should trigger all the OCD people on this forum (including me) nicely on the next trip, trying to hear it!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts