Polestar Forum banner

A-Pillar Rattle

5K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Jeff_in_SF 
#1 ·
Hey,

I m trying to ID the exact location, but it seems to be coming from that little speaker high up on the A-pillar.
Although I am not 100% sure that is where it is coming from.

It is more of a high pitched - fast - electric rattle...

Saw that some people had the issue behind the steering wheel, but I don't think mine is coming from there.

Thanks

#2 ·
I hear mechanical-type clicks at an irregular/unpredictable rate when driving at low speed or slowing to a stop at a light. It sounds like it's from lower down than the A-pillar on the driver's side. I had assumed it was from the wheels/brakes.
So guessing it's different from what you're saying?

#5 ·
I've noticed some sounds, but believe it's from the window glass on the rubber. Only noticed it last night so haven't had a chance to fiddle around with it. Try putting the window down a bit (in a quiet area away from heavy traffic) and see if it goes away? I had this issue on my old Porsche and ended up with a simple rubber lubricant to solve the issue.

Reactions: rgledhill
#10 ·
On my A-pillar I see a speaker or microphone higher up and one further down near where it meets the dash. My ticks may be coming from near that lower one.

In my case, I'm wondering if it's a fault speaker or maybe something about the speed/volume modulation that's going awry and throwing ticks?

#12 ·
Oof, don't like seeing that from the rear windows. I drove through a monsoon this afternoon after getting the latest Android 10 update installed at the dealership and no leaking issues from my glass, but I didn't have on the Nov update either.

There is a lot of pressure on these windows that don't go up into a frame so very small disturbances can make a racket; good news is it's really not hard to fix. If they happen to mention a lubricant on the front windows rubber seals, please share what brand - I can't remember what I used all those years ago. I know this is not a case for WD-40 ;)

#14 ·
The best rubber lubricant I've used was silicone. It's fantastic for stopping doors sticking shut in cold weather too - spray it into a cloth and wipe it over the rubber door seals. It's also good for stopping charging cables getting stuck on the sicket when cold.

#15 ·
I think I figured out my noise!

When the motor output shuts off, going to regen, I hear the click. And I hear it again when the braking level gets to a certain amount - perhaps when it switches on the friction brakes at the lowest end of speed.

I verified it in OPD Standard, Low, and off - basically when the motors are turning off there's a click, maybe due to a relay ?

Main question - is this something to be concerned about? Is this usual to have an audible signal of the shift from motor-->regen-->friction?
I can only hear it at low speeds possibly because the overall noise is so low then; I definitely don't notice it at >30mph or so.

#23 ·
I think I figured out my noise!

When the motor output shuts off, going to regen, I hear the click. And I hear it again when the braking level gets to a certain amount - perhaps when it switches on the friction brakes at the lowest end of speed.

I verified it in OPD Standard, Low, and off - basically when the motors are turning off there's a click, maybe due to a relay ?

Main question - is this something to be concerned about? Is this usual to have an audible signal of the shift from motor-->regen-->friction?
I can only hear it at low speeds possibly because the overall noise is so low then; I definitely don't notice it at >30mph or so.
Update: Volvo Palo Alto took a look. Seems there's a control unit on the under side of the task near the driver footwell that seems to have a relay that generates this click. They listened on 2 other polestars and heard a similar click that happens when the motor actuation turns off and regen turns on (In OPD off, happens at full lift off; in Standard/Low happens when there's the transition from motor to regen).

So long story short, I'm hearing a relay click that you all probably have but may be more prominent in mine for whatever reason or you just haven't noticed while you're blasting that heavy metal.

#16 ·
That's strange. There definitely isn't a relay click as the motor is never actually turned off through relays, it's all managed through solid state electronics and software. I guess it's possible it's turning something else on/off but I can't imagine what.

It should trigger all the OCD people on this forum (including me) nicely on the next trip, trying to hear it!

#22 ·
Mine did that the other day, and I'm still on the 1st November Android Security level (received on my car in December). I wonder if it just does it every one in, say, 20 shuts? Or if it detects a strange current profile from the motor when it shuts?

Almost all rattling has now gone from that area since it did that, and since it's got warmer, so I agree with @JMP2 and @Jeff_in_SF - I think it's down to glass/rubber squeaking somewhere.

#24 ·
Just picked mine up from service, getting a warning message looked into - while it was in, I asked them to check out the windows. They confirmed the windows squeaking against the rubber seals was the culprit on the noises I'd been hearing. They cleaned the seals and added some silicone lubricant to all 4 windows. My drive home had zero chatter from the windows, yay!

Nice thing is, this is a fix anyone can do from home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.