Polestar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m still learning and discovering new things about my P2 after five days owning it.
It’s an awesome car and I am very happy and satisfied with it. Being a car nut and a critical and detail-oriented person I would to share my thoughts on my first five days of ownership.

Hits:
  • I like the tall centre console. It makes for a comfortable place to rest your arm.
  • I‘m slim and not tall and found the seats very comfortable. I don’t find the centre console confining or restrictive like some, but it feels cosy and well cosseted, ideal for sporty spirited driving. Feels more like a cockpit compared to a Tesla where you are sitting on it rather than in it.
  • I really like the mix of textures of the materials in the interior. The WeaveTech material on the seats feels very comfortable and durable. I was worried that it will feel like squishy neoprene/wetsuit material (I associate it with aftermarket seat covers for Jeeps and convertibles 10 or 20 years ago), but it feels much more sophisticated than that. The fabric is grippy unlike leather or vinyl, it has been 30 years since I owned a car with cloth seats, so this is welcome change. The gold seatbelts adds some interest and sporty accent to an otherwise dark monochromatic business-like interior.
  • The magnesium paint is really cool, unique and beautiful. The pearl finish reflects the light beautifully and the colour shifts from warm pearl white to a cooler pale chalk grey. I’m definitely going to do a full PPF to protect this paint as it could be very difficult to match the paint when repaired. I’m also worried about the charging cable scuffing the paint and protection from operating the frunk.
  • While I love the smell of a new car, I know that smell is caused by off-gassing of all of the plastic materials and not good for you, but in the P2 the new car smell is rather faint due to the amount recycled materials and reduction of toxic plasticizers.
  • The ride is firm with the PP, but not harsh or jarring like on my Mercedes with the sport package. It has a nice balance of comfort and responsiveness. It’s on the factory middle settings but I may try out the softer setting later on.
  • I love the sound of the AVAS both forward and back. Going forward has a very soft subtle whooshing spaceship sound which sounds very cool, especially when starting up and accelerating.
  • The auto climate control work really well and seamlessly. I hardly have to adjust the temperature or fan settings and the air and heat seems to blow very consistently and evenly.

Misses:
  • The storage compartment under the front armrest is very small and the second cup holder takes up the entire space. As I rarely drink in my car and definitely don’t have the use of the second cup holder, plus it’s awkward to have the armrest fully open to use it so I removed the cup holder insert. It’s still a small compartment but it’s something.
  • The position of the power window switches is too far back on the door. I occasionally hit the buttons when I rest my arm on the arm rest, and using it I have to move my arm unnaturally backwards.
  • The auto child door locks can not be disabled permanently.
  • You need to hit play to start turn on the stereo every time you start the car.
  • The dynamic audio calibration seems to be changing the volume too often and sometimes without any reason. I never liked this feature on most cars as the volume adjustment is not very seamless and doesn’t seem to be very effective and sometimes annoying. I will try to disable this feature if possible.
  • You can’t browse or search for music from other apps or sources without interrupting the current song playing.
  • Some of the interior switchgear from the Volvo parts bin still has the characteristic Volvo font on it rather than the cleaner and modern Polestar font.
  • The retracting mirrors don’t retract that far inwards when car is locked or retracted from the button. In my other cars I can tell if the car is locked simply by looking at the mirrors, with the P2 it’s impossible to tell. Also, in my other car I sometimes retract the mirrors when going through tight spots or lanes, but I don’t think it’s that effective on the P2.
  • The storage pockets behind the front seats are just nets which feels out of place in a car of this price and with its progressive modern styling, though I never store anything in these pockets anyways.
  • In addition to black plastic piano finish on the centre console, I don’t like this piano finish on the steering wheel spokes. The bottom spoke feels overly plasticky. I’m hoping there will be an aftermarket spoke cover for it in the future — the aftermarket covers for Volvo steering wheels may fit but I have yet to find something that looks nice and appropriate.
  • The interior ambient/accent lighting is not that bright even at the brightest setting. There is no colour adjustment — I don‘t want gaudy neon colours in my car, but it would be nice to adjust the warmth/coolness of the white accent light. I also wished this accent lighting continued to the back seats as it can get pretty dark back there.

Other comments:
  • The sound quality of the stereo is mixed. On radio it sounds muffled and not sharp nor very clear, but with Spotify or TuneIn it sounds pretty good. I had to adjust the treble, bass, subwoofer and equalizer to get optimal sound quality. I didn’t find the seating position settings that effective, and you unfortunately can’t adjust the balance or fade. I often like to set the rear and passenger speakers (the speakers most distant from you) louder than the driver’s side speaker for better balance and a somewhat surround sound effect.
  • The active pixel headlights seems to be only good for highway or rural driving. I find that they don’t activate in city driving due to so many objects and drivers around.
  • The Polestar logo reflected on the sunroof displays backwards from the interior, I’m sure this was designed to be best viewed from the outside.
  • I haven’t driven my car in bad weather yet and was wondering how dirty the window on the liftback will get given how steeply raked it is. A rear wiper maybe a worthwhile feature?

Questions:
  • How do you search and save favourite stations on TuneIn radio? I do not have a TuneIn account but listen to a few TuneIn stations on my Sonos system at home and would like to save the same favourite stations on my car.
  • When my car is in service will my information on Google and apps tied to it be visible? Is the information for each user of the car visible to each other? Is there a way of protecting this info from others that use the car?

·
Registered
California
603 Posts
The retracting mirrors don’t retract that far inwards when car is locked or retracted from the button. In my other cars I can tell if the car is locked simply by looking at the mirrors, with the P2 it’s impossible to tell.
Yes! I’ve noticed this too. I’m so used to using retracted mirrors as the visible “locked” cue these days.

·
Registered
695 Posts
  • When my car is in service will my information on Google and apps tied to it be visible? Is the information for each user of the car visible to each other? Is there a way of protecting this info from others that use the car?
This intrigued me recently and actually today I watched a YouTube from months ago in the US inferring there was a setting (like the valet setting on the TM3), but I have not seen it (it was accessed from the profile Home Screen).

·
Registered
2021 2
2,566 Posts
This intrigued me recently and actually today I watched a YouTube from months ago in the US inferring there was a setting (like the valet setting on the TM3), but I have not seen it (it was accessed from the profile Home Screen).
you can set a lock screen pin from system settings for this. no shortcut or hot key as far as I know though

·
Registered
695 Posts
Yep I did that, but I am unconvinced it provides the level of lockdown (like contacts etc)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes we do, but you have to turn it on every time you want to use it (it’s not automatic), and will only come on in the right environment (highway or rural driving where oncoming traffic is more distinguishable).

·
Registered
2021 P2 PP Snow
31 Posts
Poking around settings and switches I don’t see a clear way to protect accounts. I can use any of the two big keys to switch to any profile and edit it without entering credentials. I haven’t tried the activity key, but suspect same result.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yes we do, but you have to turn it on every time you want to use it (it’s not automatic), and will only come on in the right environment (highway or rural driving where oncoming traffic is more distinguishable).
Correction : we don’t have active pixel headlights. There’s a difference between auto dimming and active pixel. Active dimming switches on/off the high beam when a vehicle approaches from the opposite direction or if you are behind a vehicle. In Canada and US that is what we have. Active pixel is much more advanced: it leaves on the high beam at all times and switches off individually selected LED’s (pixels) in the beam angle to avoid blinding others. If that other object moves relatively to you a ‘black out’ zone basically follows that object with quickly changing LEDs. The zone around that moving object remains however lit by the high beam.
Our vehicles have that capability built in but not activated because Transport Canada does not allow it. Applications are in to get it approved (can take very long). Once it is approved, it can be activated OTA. Don’t hold your breath. Europe already has active pixel.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Poking around settings and switches I don’t see a clear way to protect accounts. I can use any of the two big keys to switch to any profile and edit it without entering credentials. I haven’t tried the activity key, but suspect same result.
You can protect your profile with a pin or pattern at least - I know my wife set up a protected profile just to try it. I don't remember the details but if you go into the profile itself it should be there.

·
Registered
695 Posts
You can protect your profile with a pin or pattern at least - I know my wife set up a protected profile just to try it. I don't remember the details but if you go into the profile itself it should be there.
But i don't think it actually protects much...

·
Registered
764 Posts
How do you search and save favourite stations on TuneIn radio? I do not have a TuneIn account but listen to a few TuneIn stations on my Sonos system at home and would like to save the same favourite stations on my car.
I haven't found how to save favorites, I haven't even manually opened the tune in app. But If you know what you want to listen to you can just ask Google. "Hey Google, play radio station on Tune In"

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Correction : we don’t have active pixel headlights. There’s a difference between auto dimming and active pixel. Active dimming switches on/off the high beam when a vehicle approaches from the opposite direction or if you are behind a vehicle. In Canada and US that is what we have. Active pixel is much more advanced: it leaves on the high beam at all times and switches off individually selected LED’s (pixels) in the beam angle to avoid blinding others. If that other object moves relatively to you a ‘black out’ zone basically follows that object with quickly changing LEDs. The zone around that moving object remains however lit by the high beam.
Our vehicles have that capability built in but not activated because Transport Canada does not allow it. Applications are in to get it approved (can take very long). Once it is approved, it can be activated OTA. Don’t hold your breath. Europe already has active pixel.
Thanks. I was told by Ryan at PS that Canada vehicles indeed have it and activated. I was wondering why you need to turn it on every time and that the indicator for it never turns green.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts