Polestar Forum banner
61 - 80 of 84 Posts

· Registered
10,814 Posts
I have been considering the economic mechanics involved when an original owner sells their car. Firstly they have to be willing to sell the car for the price a private buyer or dealer is willing to pay. If the valuation of the vehicle in their mind is too low they may choose to hold onto the car. If this decision is made by enough people the number of vehicles available in the used market would shrink and up would go the pricing.
Based on the current interest rates being offered for a new vehicle, cost increase of vehicles for many reasons including inflation, why buy a new vehicle if you don't need one. I did a "Build" on the BMW website for a new iX. I picked the middle option with the 111kW battery which is comparable to the Polestar 3. I really had a hard time understanding how the interest on the loan was calculated. Financing from BMW is 7.99% on the vehicle but the total borrowing cost for this $105,000 vehicle is $26,000 over the term. WTF?!! I guess BMW is taking 8% for every year? Why the **** would I ever take that deal?!
As interest rates rise, there will be more "deals" to be had at dealerships. For the moment though, lots of people who want and can afford new cars have been putting it off due to supply constraints, so it make take a while.

· Registered
10,814 Posts
Hertz Austin had numerous Teslas that were $100ish a day. Turo also had a few Tesla available around where I stayed.

As for Enterprise, they had two P2s at that location. I saw about 5 Polestars (might have been the same 2-3) while driving around and almost no other EVs other than Teslas. I think Polestar has a location in Austin too.

I was generally surprised at the low number of EVs in Austin. In Florida, my guess is 2% of all cars. Every minute you will see an EV.
I'm not sure where your "receipt" came from, or how, but rent-a-wreck doesn't rent cars for $200/week.

· Registered
26 Posts
I'm not sure where your "receipt" came from, or how, but rent-a-wreck doesn't rent cars for $200/week.
I had corporate discount for the rental for a cheapo standard car (see the billing code) but they didn’t want the Polestar 2 on the lot so they gave that to me.

Longer story, I rented a premium SUV for the first few days in mid Dec to attend a Ford Bronco event but swapped that Grand Cherokee rental for the Polestar 2 (which they didn’t want). The Polestar sat unrented for the few days after I returned it and so when I needed a car for a week they were happy to unload it.

· Registered
10,814 Posts
but they didn’t want the Polestar 2 on the lot so they gave that to me.
Yes, I'm sure it was an eyesore that was ruining their business 🙄

More likely they were happy for you to have it because they don't rent many $100/day cars and would rather keep the Nissans around because they need more of them to support daily demand.

· Registered
P2, Snow, Slate, PP, Hitch, Nextbase Dashcam, 20% Tint, Polestar, give us more regen. breaking!
782 Posts
Loaded pre owned 2021s at $51K isn’t a bad deal. Direct from Polestar Tampa also.

View attachment 21360
My car would be considered a fully loaded 2021. $51k in USD isn't too bad. Mine has 31,250 miles on it. I wonder how much they would give me. Keeping things in USD I still owe about $52k.

· Registered
667 Posts
My 3 year out low mileage Subie is also worth 50% less than it’s purchase price. I think the market is just returning to normal. Their may be some over correction but I don’t think it’s much yet v
Yep, pretty much. Dropping 20% as you drive that fancy new car off the lot is the norm, those prices quoted above for 18 month old P2's seem pretty 'normal'.

· Registered
26 Posts
My 3 year out low mileage Subie is also worth 50% less than it’s purchase price. I think the market is just returning to normal. There maybe some over correction but I don’t think it’s much yet.
Which is weird because Subarus have one of the highest resales. An Outback only loses 12% in 3 years

Automotive parking light Product Slope Line Font

EVs depreciate badly. That's why VW and Ford wrote leases with crazy low RVs (approx 50%) compared to their gas cars. So ICE cars depreciate 20-25% in 3 years but EVs depreciate twice that. Off-Lease Cars: What Are The Best Deals? - iSeeCars.com

Azure Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel

· Registered
523 Posts
Which is weird because Subarus have one of the highest resales. An Outback only loses 12% in 3 years

View attachment 21367

EVs depreciate badly. That's why VW and Ford wrote leases with crazy low RVs (approx 50%) compared to their gas cars. So ICE cars depreciate 20-25% in 3 years but EVs depreciate twice that. Off-Lease Cars: What Are The Best Deals? - iSeeCars.com

View attachment 21368
I’m get a maxed out 2020 Outback. Probably why the big drop. I’m only going by the unsolicited price the dealer keeps saying I will get if i upgrade to the latest model so maybe they are lowballing. I’m not looking to trade it as I keep cars on average 12-14 years. I love the subie but not as much as the P2.

Added: Looks like the dealer was lowballing (what a surprise) a quick search is that it’s worth 35k for a car that was approx 42k new. It only has 18k miles on it.

· Registered
2022 SR SM
42 Posts
Worth considering too that those of us with late model EVs should be regarded as 'early adopters' who have purchased at prices that will only fall as technology, manufacturing scale and market competition increase. All these factors will act to bring EVs down to parity with ICE pricing, and below. We should be prepared to see our cars shed resale value as the EV market gains maturity, but at the same time enjoy the far cheaper energy and maintenance cost an EV provides.

These economies will filter down through the second hand market as they already have in the car market here in NZ where huge numbers of used Leafs imported from Japan and elsewhere have both driven EV uptake strongly and made buying a new NZ Leaf very questionable economically. Similar forces will effect the new car market as Tesla and the Chinese manufacturers battle for market share.

Sure EVs will continue to add new features and gadgetry (though at a controlled rate in order to mitigate any Osborne effect) but there will always be those owners who are on restricted budgets and they will be all too happy to forgo a few baubles in favour of an affordable EV for them and their family. They are the people who search out secondhand computers and smartphones for the same reason.

My strategy regarding laptops has to buy the best quality available with the extra cost being justified by the usable life of the computer being up to 10 years. Then rinse and repeat. The purchase of our Polestar2 was pretty much done with the same reasoning. In 10 years time the car world will be a very different beast to what what it is now so no point in trying to foresee what, if any, replacement will be required by then.

· Registered
667 Posts
Worth considering too that those of us with late model EVs should be regarded as 'early adopters' who have purchased at prices that will only fall as technology, manufacturing scale and market competition increase. All these factors will act to bring EVs down to parity with ICE pricing, and below. We should be prepared to see our cars shed resale value as the EV market gains maturity, but at the same time enjoy the far cheaper energy and maintenance cost an EV provides.

These economies will filter down through the second hand market as they already have in the car market here in NZ where huge numbers of used Leafs imported from Japan and elsewhere have both driven EV uptake strongly and made buying a new NZ Leaf very questionable economically. Similar forces will effect the new car market as Tesla and the Chinese manufacturers battle for market share.

Sure EVs will continue to add new features and gadgetry (though at a controlled rate in order to mitigate any Osborne effect) but there will always be those owners who are on restricted budgets and they will be all too happy to forgo a few baubles in favour of an affordable EV for them and their family. They are the people who search out secondhand computers and smartphones for the same reason.

My strategy regarding laptops has to buy the best quality available with the extra cost being justified by the usable life of the computer being up to 10 years. Then rinse and repeat. The purchase of our Polestar2 was pretty much done with the same reasoning. In 10 years time the car world will be a very different beast to what what it is now so no point in trying to foresee what, if any, replacement will be required by then.
I've never understood the economics of buying a new car in NZ since they opened the doors to cheap used imports; the depreciation there of new cars can be frightening. By way of comparison we bought a VW Beetle new here in California, had it for 7 years, sold it and I was able to buy a VW Golf of the same age in NZ for literally 1/2 of what we got for the Beetle. Yes the Golf is a Jap import but when shopping for it we didn't find a huge difference in values of NZ new vs. imports, NZ new was just a selling point.

· Registered
26 Posts
Yes, I'm sure it was an eyesore that was ruining their business 🙄

More likely they were happy for you to have it because they don't rent many $100/day cars and would rather keep the Nissans around because they need more of them to support daily demand.
Maybe.

So a Redditor also rented it for sub $200/week (he says he messed up the title in a comment)

https://www.reddit.com/r/electricvehicles/comments/10iuu8f
I’m not the only one with the great deal. Cheap EV rentals may spur renters to buy or consider an EV.

· Registered
254 Posts
The typical rate for Polestar at Hertz has been about $400 a week and $1300 a month+tax/fee. If you can snag a manager upgrade that would be the only way to get the deals mentioned.

I rented Polestar 2 for nearly four months (12,000 miles) while waiting for the Polestar 3 which ended up massively delayed so I got the Polestar 2.

I attempted to buy my rental from Hertz and made many calls but no success. At Hertz, the cars need to be transferred into the Hertz Auto Sales division.

If you are renting a Polestar, you want to get one that is very low miles. The Hertz policy is to install the cheapest tire that is the original size, rather than rated for load or EV acoustic/rolling resistance.

Another Polestar rental issue is that you need all of the keys in the car to be able to reset the infotainment system. I was not able to get the extra key from Hertz so the removal of all my information out of the car was more difficult than necessary. My advice would be to create a new profile and then delete when finished.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts