Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone In a hot climate (I’m in Texas) has probably experienced the excessive vibration from the AC compressor when it’s hot out (105F+ here).

previously people claimed this was due to the bracket and a new bracket fixes it. This new bracket fixes 1 noise but not the primary issue.

Polestar has just sent my space some tools (today) to diagnose this issue - and they’ll be running these diagnostics on my car. Hopefully we get an update soon.

my car was in the shop primarily because it would start blowing hot air randomly after blowing cool air the first part of the trip. I’ve been informed they just released 2 new parts for the AC compressor as well - a valve and something else. Hopefully this fixes my issue and improves the cooling ability overall. And while waiting on those parts, hopefully they get some insight into the jet engine noises.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 Launch Edition (Thunder/Slate)
1,801 Posts
My launch edition Polestar 2 is relatively quiet but I think the noise issue was with the newer heat pump equipped cars right?

Speaking of noises, the Fiat 500e I’m also driving has trouble coping with the 30C weather in England the last few days, the compressor sounds like a prop plane taking off!

I just can’t put up with the noise and turned it off.

·
Registered
2022 PoleStar 2 - Dual Motors - Void
399 Posts
My AC makes a little noise when the temps are above 100 F, but no excessive vibration or issues with air blowing from the vents. It's been really great the last 3 trips where I drove through the California Central Valley that had temps between 98F and 104F

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Anyone In a hot climate (I’m in Texas) has probably experienced the excessive vibration from the AC compressor when it’s hot out (105F+ here).

previously people claimed this was due to the bracket and a new bracket fixes it. This new bracket fixes 1 noise but not the primary issue.

Polestar has just sent my space some tools (today) to diagnose this issue - and they’ll be running these diagnostics on my car. Hopefully we get an update soon.

my car was in the shop primarily because it would start blowing hot air randomly after blowing cool air the first part of the trip. I’ve been informed they just released 2 new parts for the AC compressor as well - a valve and something else. Hopefully this fixes my issue and improves the cooling ability overall. And while waiting on those parts, hopefully they get some insight into the jet engine noises.
MY21, Launch edition here. A week or so ago I was out when it was well into the 90s here and can confirm there's definitely SOMETHING going on in high heat situations. On mine it seemed to present itself only when there was high ambient air temps and the car had been sitting outside cooking away. If I was just pulling out of the garage and it only had to deal with the higher ambient air temps, it didn't seem to be as bad.

I agree that the sound is something similar to the humming vibration of sitting in a jet, just not quite as loud.

·
Registered
76 Posts

Second poster mentioned it, but are you sure it's an AC unit and not a heat pump? I see you have a 2022 with plus package...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Second poster mentioned it, but are you sure it's an AC unit and not a heat pump? I see you have a 2022 with plus package...
Good point, the vibration may be from the heat pump, and the cooling issues compressor related. We talked about both I believe, but I was also dealing with a flat on my loaner so I don’t recall everything now.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Haven't noticed anything with my car (no heat pump) even though we've been 100F+ for a record breaking number of days last month, and looking the same for this month.

·
Registered
MY21, Midnight PP Nappa
137 Posts
I get the vibration and noise after a good dc charge or driving the car really hard for a while. Never associated it with the a/c, are you sure it's not just the battery cooling system engaged? If only we could ODB and see temps etc POLESTAR are you listening?

·
Registered
13 Posts
The only times I notice the vibration is right after charging the car, so I assumed it was just conditioning the batteries or something.

Vibration can be felt on the pedals.

·
Registered
125 Posts
MY21, Launch edition here. A week or so ago I was out when it was well into the 90s here and can confirm there's definitely SOMETHING going on in high heat situations. On mine it seemed to present itself only when there was high ambient air temps and the car had been sitting outside cooking away. If I was just pulling out of the garage and it only had to deal with the higher ambient air temps, it didn't seem to be as bad.

I agree that the sound is something similar to the humming vibration of sitting in a jet, just not quite as loud.
This happened to me 3 weeks ago as well. I have a launch edition and after an hour drive in 90+ F (mainly highway) the car sat quietly for about an hour. When I was about to start the drive back I stopped for a couple of minutes to talk to someone (foot on the brake rather than parked - creep off) and after a minute, the car became very noisy. The sound seemed to be coming from somewhere up-front/underneath but the airflow in the vents did not change. When I drove off it went back to normal as far as I could tell and no other issues on the hour+ return. No alerts or other messages.

In the past, I have had the car start making fan noises while charging at home in a covered garage, even during the winter. The noise from 2 weeks ago was similar yet different in that it sounded louder and more uneven.

Side note: I'm not too impressed with the A/C in general. Unless I switch to manual mode and turn the fans up all the way, I can barely feel air from the vents. The air isn't hot or unbearable by any means but I expected a bit more air flowing through. Is this normal?

·
Registered
2022 PoleStar 2 - Dual Motors - Void
399 Posts
This happened to me 3 weeks ago as well. I have a launch edition and after an hour drive in 90+ F (mainly highway) the car sat quietly for about an hour. When I was about to start the drive back I stopped for a couple of minutes to talk to someone (foot on the brake rather than parked - creep off) and after a minute, the car became very noisy. The sound seemed to be coming from somewhere up-front/underneath but the airflow in the vents did not change. When I drove off it went back to normal as far as I could tell and no other issues on the hour+ return. No alerts or other messages.

In the past, I have had the car start making fan noises while charging at home in a covered garage, even during the winter. The noise from 2 weeks ago was similar yet different in that it sounded louder and more uneven.

Side note: I'm not too impressed with the A/C in general. Unless I switch to manual mode and turn the fans up all the way, I can barely feel air from the vents. The air isn't hot or unbearable by any means but I expected a bit more air flowing through. Is this normal?
The fan noise is for battery cooling and is normal on hot days. As far as the air coming from the vents, I was having a similar issue, one time it turned out to be "Eco" cooling was accidentally enabled, and the second time was my daughter borrowed my car and she changed recirculation for outside air and she also set the air to blow to the windows as well as the vents. In both cases turning off Eco mode and setting only the front vents fixed the issue. Driven it in over 100 F temps and the cabin always stays cool

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sound is on when idle and I am currently in the car with the humming sound (39C). When i turn off the AC it switches off, but when turned it back on again the sound comes back after a minute or 2.

·
Registered
22 P2 Snow,Pilot,Plus,20”
90 Posts
I’m getting a new AC bracket installed. Since it was in the shop anyways for a software reboot, I mentioned that there was a slight vibration noise only when the air conditioner was on and only when I was turning left – I told him it was a weird complaint but maybe you should look into it since it’s there - and so they did and yes they need a new bracket.

·
Registered
133 Posts

In the past, I have had the car start making fan noises while charging at home in a covered garage, even du ring the winter. The noise from 2 weeks ago was similar yet different in that it sounded louder and more uneven.

Noticed this in one of my test drives. Figured it was just the battery's cooling fans activating since I was idling in 40°C / 105°F heat while the road was baking the vehicle underside aka battery.

PS recirculation mode helps keep the interior cooler while using less energy rather than pulling hot air from outside.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2 Dual Motor, Long Range, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
3,532 Posts
Mine did it today (launch edition car, no heat pump) just after installing the 2.2 update, so it had sat in the sun for a couple of hours. We're starting a mega-heatwave (by UK standards) over the next few days - 41C, which will break all records by over 2C! - and it's the first time I've started the car and heard a really insistent hum. It's very different to the sounds made during/after rapid d.c. charging.

·
Registered
LRSM, Thunder, Plus & Pliot, 20"
35 Posts

Exactly my experience today. The ambient temp is around 38’C and the car had been parked all morning out in the sun, I popped out on a short journey at lunchtime and heard the low hum noise which is quite loud when stationary. I stopped and turned off the AC and the hum stopped immediately.

Hopefully just a one off due to the extreme weather and nothing to worry about. However if persistent it would be very irritating and require a fix.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts