Polestar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Also noticed it for the first time today, 35 Deg C, and noticed the vibrations though the steering wheel and accelerator pedal rather than the noise. First time it's done it (then again it's the first time my car has seen higher temps than late twenties)

·
Registered
2022 PoleStar 2 - Dual Motors - Void
399 Posts
My British brothers and sisters...this heatwave is very unusual for Europe, but being in California, it's normal in certain parts here to get temps above 100 F, that's usually when the fans are at their loudest. My fans were non-existent unless I'm 1) Supercharging or 2) the weather gets into the upper 90's. So I would say it's normal battery cooling going on

·
Registered
993 Posts
I'm coming up on my second Summer in Florida with my Polestar. Last Summer, I noted the loud droning sound while driving around with the A/C on... particularly when it was scorching hot in the Florida sun. That sound hasn't returned since the heat of the Summer faded a bit, but I'm going to keep an ear out for it this Summer and have the Service team check it out if it happens again (most likely will).

Here's my thread from last July: Droning Sound in Hot Weather?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
My British brothers and sisters...this heatwave is very unusual for Europe, but being in California, it's normal in certain parts here to get temps above 100 F, that's usually when the fans are at their loudest. My fans were non-existent unless I'm 1) Supercharging or 2) the weather gets into the upper 90's. So I would say it's normal battery cooling going on
Totally agree. For me it started a couple of weeks ago when I did a) very high speed on the German autobahn, and b) high speed mount motorways in the Austrian Alps, and c) temperatures of 90+. Same thing happens clearly when ultra fast charging but quickly goes away again once driving....

The aircon has really impressed me, so nice and gentle under most conditions, but this last few weeks it really does automatically increase the fan speed to the same as the max speed. Well in those few occasions where I forgot to pre-cool the car...

·
Registered
'22 Void I Performance I Plus I Leather
193 Posts
I'm in Houston and the heat pump vibration makes plenty of noise. I can even feel the vibrations in the floor. I'm interested in the fix they do for the OP.
Likewise--I'm in the Hill Country (Boerne) and I have both the compressor bracket noise (especially on left hand turns) and intermittent cooling failure. Even though a lot of people are doing resets to the infotainment system, I think it's primarily an issue with compressor/heat pump perhaps freezing up or low on refrigerant, because at least in my case, it acts like a frozen A/C coil. Gets lukewarm and humid for about 10 minutes and then magically starts cooling again after what I presume is a period of thawing out. Usually that's low refrigerant charge or perhaps a valve sticking open or closed so the system isn't cycling correctly. Whatever the case, with this heat it is getting annoying and I plan to finally call the Austin shop this week.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Likewise--I'm in the Hill Country (Boerne) and I have both the compressor bracket noise (especially on left hand turns) and intermittent cooling failure. Even though a lot of people are doing resets to the infotainment system, I think it's primarily an issue with compressor/heat pump perhaps freezing up or low on refrigerant, because at least in my case, it acts like a frozen A/C coil. Gets lukewarm and humid for about 10 minutes and then magically starts cooling again after what I presume is a period of thawing out. Usually that's low refrigerant charge or perhaps a valve sticking open or closed so the system isn't cycling correctly. Whatever the case, with this heat it is getting annoying and I plan to finally call the Austin shop this week.
Just had my first "cooling failure" yesterday. Definitely seemed like a freeze over / low coolant situation.

·
Registered
2022 PoleStar 2 - Dual Motors - Void
399 Posts
I didn't want to start a new thread on this, so I'm posting here. Today I opened the frunk (or boot, or whatever you want to call it) to store something, and I noticed that leaves had accumulated in the cowl under the windshield, especially on the drivers side where water drains. There were a lot of leaves, enough to slow down drainage if water were to accumulate in that area. I scooped them out by hand until they were all out. Although it's Sunday, I was heading to work...I'm in IT (Senior Network Architect) and usually do maint and software patching on Sundays...such is the life of my profession. :( It was a warm day so I turned on the AC...and it immediately cooled down! I don't know if there is any correlation between the cowl clogged with leaves preventing air flow, but the AC was working better than it has for awhile. I'll observe over a few days as we are having a warm week

·
Registered
'22 Void I Performance I Plus I Leather
193 Posts
I didn't want to start a new thread on this, so I'm posting here. Today I opened the frunk (or boot, or whatever you want to call it) to store something, and I noticed that leaves had accumulated in the cowl under the windshield, especially on the drivers side where water drains. There were a lot of leaves, enough to slow down drainage if water were to accumulate in that area. I scooped them out by hand until they were all out. Although it's Sunday, I was heading to work...I'm in IT (Senior Network Architect) and usually do maint and software patching on Sundays...such is the life of my profession. :( It was a warm day so I turned on the AC...and it immediately cooled down! I don't know if there is any correlation between the cowl clogged with leaves preventing air flow, but the AC was working better than it has for awhile. I'll observe over a few days as we are having a warm week
I don’t have that issue as I wash my car a couple of times per week and always open the hood (bonnet, for our euro friends) to dry off the seals and check the cowl areas and hood hinge recesses to clear any debris with a shop vac. But good to know that for sure. 😊. I WISH I had some trees to park under and keep my P2 cooler in our current heatwave. 🔥🔥

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Mine has been at Austin for this issue for 2 weeks now. Funny enough my loaner has had the same issue once. They claim there’s 2 new parts available that they’re replacing - although they didn’t seem 100% confident it would fix it. Also claimed HQ has sent them new tools to diagnose better.

i hope they planned to replace the bracket as well…they’ve been waiting for “parts” for a while already, but they claim they were at the distribution center.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’m getting a new AC bracket installed. Since it was in the shop anyways for a software reboot, I mentioned that there was a slight vibration noise only when the air conditioner was on and only when I was turning left – I told him it was a weird complaint but maybe you should look into it since it’s there - and so they did and yes they need a new bracket.
Yes! bracket change only to solve the high frequency vibration, after the bracket mounted, I can hear the vibration all the time as long as I turn the AC on! check my video!
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

https://www.facebook.com/yilong.wang.3994/videos/790335421956380/?notif_id=1658991309082780&notif_t=video_processed&ref=notif

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Just got a call from Polestar Austin, my car should be ready tomorrow assuming nothing goes wrong.

Few things to note:
  • 2 re-designed AC compressor parts (a valve and a housing). Supposedly this is a known fix for the intermittent hot/humid air problem
  • No resolution yet for the vibration/noise, but he claims “we sent them the data they asked for”.
  • Parts took about 3 weeks to arrive, installed & ready the next day (according to them)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just got a call from Polestar Austin, my car should be ready tomorrow assuming nothing goes wrong.

Few things to note:
  • 2 re-designed AC compressor parts (a valve and a housing). Supposedly this is a known fix for the intermittent hot/humid air problem
  • No resolution yet for the vibration/noise, but he claims “we sent them the data they asked for”.
  • Parts took about 3 weeks to arrive, installed & ready the next day (according to them)
the bracket changed might reduce a bit vibration, better than before but... there is still 30%chance for you to completely fix it! good luck mate!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Got my car back, noise/vibration still there (as expected), but it does seem like it’s getting slightly colder than i remember.

Also the service Manager confirmed that the same systems cool both the batteries and the cabin. So it makes sense that some have experienced with blasting the AC, and some have experienced it after fast-charging.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Got my car back, noise/vibration still there (as expected), but it does seem like it’s getting slightly colder than i remember.

Also the service Manager confirmed that the same systems cool both the batteries and the cabin. So it makes sense that some have experienced with blasting the AC, and some have experienced it after fast-charging.
Good to hear that! mine AC power dropped feel like not cooler than before, the engineer from volvo said that the Volvo C40 are sharing the same AC module with PS2 but no vibration, don't worry, there might be 100+ PS2 in china have same issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here are some additional details that I have found over the past week. Unless it is really hot out (30C+) and the car has sat baking for the afternoon, it seems the resonance/vibration does not appear. Even with the AC set to LO and the fan speed above level 3, the vibration didn't happen. It was 23C when I tested it a couple of days ago. Will have to wait for another scorcher to test some more... Again, my situation only happens when AC is maxed out and car is gaining speed up to approx 50+ km/h. The vibration stops when slowing down and coming to a stop. AC OFF, no vibrations, AC ON, resonance builds as I pick up speed and is pretty much solid at 50 km/h or higher. But only in 30C+ temperatures.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts