Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Think Mat from carwow did it in 4.1ish. Link below

Carwow
He did 0-60.

They claim 0-60 is 4.7, which would make 0-62 around the 4.8.

All depends on weather, tyre conditions, weight, etc.. etc..

Some car companies say 0-60 in X seconds but in reality it's only in perfect conditions. However others like Audi often give the 0-60 in more normal or worst case scenario's, so you should always get what you paid for ... and maybe more.
Seems like Polestar are following Audi's lead - Which is good for us!

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It also depends if there’s an incline on the road etc, plus I believe Carwow did it with just Matt in it - that will make a difference.

Whichever way you cut it - performance seems more than enough 🙂

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I currently have a Kia Stinger and before that a Jag F-Pace 3.0 supercharged. Both did 0-60 in between 4-5 seconds.

Yes hypercars are more fun but most of the time I couldn't even use the full power of both cars for more than a few seconds before I had to lift off except on EU motorways. In the UK I'm breaking speed limits after a few seconds.

·
Registered
Oct '20 / VIN47xx. Void, Slate, 20"
516 Posts
Yeah my old m4 competition pack (which I sold during lockdown) had 450bhp and was 0-60 in 4 seconds flat but the only time I’d even approach “testing” that was off a roundabout onto a dual carriageway (in the dry only!) or away from the toll booth on the m6! But the best thing about this amount of power is the effortless 50-70(+) acceleration.

·
Registered
Oct '20 / VIN47xx. Void, Slate, 20"
516 Posts
I will slightly miss the noise/drama a bit I think. But the refinement at cruise will hopefully make up for it!

·
Registered
Polestar 2 Void, PP
89 Posts
Did my first max flooring the pedal today (screw the insurance tracker installed!). OMG is really all I can say!
Insurance tracker? What the hell is that?

·
Registered
Polestar 2, Snow, non-PP, Tow bar
254 Posts
Insurance tracker? What the hell is that?
Bell insurance was the only provider in the UK that a) knew what a Polestar was and b) wasn't going to charge me over £2000/year. They're part of Admiral. As part of the agreement they send you a tracker to install on the car for six months then return. The purpose is to measure your driving style. They measure where you drive, when you drive and how your drive. After six months of driving like a granny/dad then you get a discount on your renewal. So, after nearly four months of ownership I sort of lost it and did a "screw it, let's floor it." I'm looking fwd to my weekly driving report next week. Haha!

There are a lot of insurance policies out there with these trackers as part of the deal. It was the only affordable policy I could find in Nov 2020. I expect in Germany the much stronger privacy laws would prevent such invasive insurance policies being offered.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Never heard of this! So many questions!

Where do you attach this tracker? OBD or just give it power?

How do they ensure it stays on the specific car and not your granny’s Micra?
Haha! All good questions and God only knows. The letter said after installing it cannot be unplugged for more than 5 mins or the policy is void. I plugged it into the socket on the boot. It comes with velcro strips so I just have it attached to the side wall of the boot. I really wonder how the regen braking effects these type of trackers? There's a PhD waiting to be done.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Never heard of this! So many questions!

Where do you attach this tracker? OBD or just give it power?

How do they ensure it stays on the specific car and not your granny’s Micra?
The industry calls it telematics car insurance or black box car insurance. It's a thing!

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
483 Posts
The industry calls it telematics car insurance or black box car insurance. It's a thing!
i know what they are - I’ve worked for a telematics company that launched such a product in the US, but it wasn’t marketed to insurers.

How did you connect the one supplied by your insurer and how can’t they be certain it’s not temporarily removed or moved to a different vehicle?

·
Registered
254 Posts
i know what they are - I’ve worked for a telematics company that launched such a product in the US, but it wasn’t marketed to insurers.

How did you connect the one supplied by your insurer and how can’t they be certain it’s not temporarily removed or moved to a different vehicle?
Plugged into the rear socket in the boot. And velcroed to the side wall of the boot. As for how they can or can't tell, I haven't got the foggiest. Maybe you can find out from your colleagues who worked on such systems? I'd love to know!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Plugged into the rear socket in the boot. And velcroed to the side wall of the boot. As for how they can or can't tell, I haven't got the foggiest. Maybe you can find out from your colleagues who worked on such systems? I'd love to know!
Well, they can’t, that’s the point. You could have just removed it before your acceleration experiment.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Wait, you mean if I actually, really just swapped it into the grannies skoda permanently they wouldn't know any different? Now then, now then...

·
Registered
483 Posts
Wait, you mean if I actually, really just swapped it into the grannies skoda permanently they wouldn't know any different? Now then, now then...
It would definitely invalidate your insurance, but in terms of them having the means to verify that it’s placed in the right car and that it’s powered up every time it’s driven, I can’t see how this can be done, especially when it’s something you just plug in the cigarette lighter.

If it was connected on the OBDII port it could at least detect disconnections as it’d loose power when removed, but the 12V socket at the boot is only powered when the car is on.

Genuinely surprised that an insurance company would use a telematics device for this purpose, especially one that is just plugged in to a 12V socket!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Curious. I suspect the black box has a battery inside it as when I open the boot, and if I knock the device or move it an LED starts to flash. I'm guessing if I unplug it the device wouldn't know any better. Or maybe because it's battery backed up, the sensors would register movement and start to talk back to base. But as you said, how would it really know its plugged into my car and not someone else's? If it was connected to the ODB I'm guessing it would be able to read some sort of unique identifier to know it was connected to my car and register a change if it was moved to another car.

·
Premium Member
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,291 Posts
This is very common indeed for young people to try and get vaguely affordable insurance - in fact if you're under 21, a black box telematics unit is pretty much the only way to get insurance these days. I must admit I thought most connected to OBDII to read the VIN to prevent it being moved to a different car.

The boxes could quite easily tell if it was moved because people don't move like cars - if it detects a sudden sideways/upwards movement, then lots of random vibrations (from someone walking), then another sudden movement, it's pretty obvious it's being moved from one car to another. That said, just because someone could write software to do that, doesn't mean they have, so it's purely speculation!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts