Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
tldr; I didn't notice any magical range improvement on a 60 mile drive

Well, I just did my normal drive to the weekend place last night and then charged up overnight to see the usage. I had some unexpected results that will need more results to verify.

Normal trip is 33 to 34% battery starting at 90% and the car charges between 25.6 and 26.8 kWh overnight once I get there. The distance is 60 miles. Cabin AC on at 68 F. No heated seats or steering wheel. 2 passengers with trunk fully loaded (only an extra 100lbs though). City streets @ 35mph 1/3 , rural @ 45 mph 1/3, highway @75 to 80mph 1/3. Temp 51 F at start and 48 F at the end of the trip.

Last night, I used 34% battery according to the car, but then the car charged 27.84kWh overnight. Trying to determine the battery size from this I used a simplistic equation .34 * X = 27.84 which is simplified to 27.84/.34 according to my 7th grader. This gets a result of 81.9 kWh battery, which can't be right.

All of my previous calculations from other trips the battery size came in around 75kWh, which is what I would expect. So this was a bit unexpected and maybe something changed with the update. Of course one datapoint isn't all that useful so need to see if a trend develops.

So I certainly didn't notice any additional range, and used slightly more juice than normal, but did have to swap the car once with the wife's car earlier in the day so used a little battery moving it.

·
Registered
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,026 Posts
Does your 27.84kWh come from an external meter? Are you taking into account charging losses which could be as high as 10%, which would result in the calculation being 25/.34=73.7kWh for instance?

I'm really not expecting miracles from this update to be honest - maybe a few extra miles at best overall - though I'd be very happy to see evidence that it's better than that :). One definite difference is that the charging curve has improved (see recent Kris Rifa video on YouTube for instance, plus at least one other post on here).

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does your 27.84kWh come from an external meter? Are you taking into account charging losses which could be as high as 10%, which would result in the calculation being 25/.34=73.7kWh for instance?

I'm really not expecting miracles from this update to be honest - maybe a few extra miles at best overall. One definite difference is that the charging curve has improved (see recent Kris Rifa video on YouTube for instance, plus at least one other post on here).
Hmm, good question - it is the amount of energy that my charging station tells me was used to get the car back to 90%.

Charging curve improvement so much more useful so that is great news indeed!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Which will include charging losses, however that would have been consistent before and after the software update. Maybe do a couple more tests..
Yes, this one is perhaps an outlier so more testing is needed.

Interested in seeing others statistics as they get on the Android 10 update so hopefully that can all go in this thread.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I know polestar advertise a 78 kWh battery, and that the convention among EV manufacturers is that that is total capacity, but what if they are actually advertising usable capacity of 78 kWh? I know that’s crazy, but some of this range unlocking with the latest update that doesn’t make sense makes a little more sense if the actual usable capacity of the battery is a bit higher. May also explain why they’re so gentle/timid on the charging curves compared to other manufacturers (Audi/Porsche, for example).

A man can dream...

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2 | Snow | Performance Package
27 Posts
Just drove 22 miles (22.2 to be exact), 99% highway at 60-65mph and SOC went down only 8%. 59F ambient temperature with heated seats and heated steering wheel on. Prior to the update I'd normally see 14-15% reduction in SOC for the same trip I make.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I drove 69 miles and went from 82% to 27% .....
Whaaaa? That is seriously bad. What was the temperature, were you driving uphill, headwinds? Was the gas/energy pedal to the floor frequently 😉

·
Registered
38 Posts
2-6oC.
mix of back roads and motorway. Not fast speeds.
Barely any power accelerations too.
I’ll be speaking to CS as my efficiency is way off.
60+ kw/100miles.
it’s unacceptable.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
2-6oC.
mix of back roads and motorway. Not fast speeds.
Barely any power accelerations too.
I’ll be speaking to CS as my efficiency is way off.
60+ kw/100miles.
it’s unacceptable.
Assuming that was one trip and not 10 days of 7miles per day, then yes 60+kwh/100mi for a 70 mile trip is terrible.

·
Registered
2021 2
1,755 Posts

This guy’s seeing slight consumption/range improvement in cold weather with the software update. So hopefully will continue to see at least small improvements over time?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
My commute to work is 16 miles and im still getting high 50’s , low 60’s.
Mine was down to 45kWh/100mi by the time I hit 20 miles. Your 16 miles probably takes you what 25-30mins?

Yeah I'd say still at 55-60kWh/100mi is still very high.

Have you checked your tyre pressure? Also PP or non-PP (just for reference & curiosity) ?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Mine showed TA of 45.9kWh/100mi at 4 degrees this morning for an 8 mile drive to work.
No prewarm, heated seat/steering wheel on and set to 20 deg. heating but aircon off.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine is a PP.
Weather warmer today at 7oC and driving as slow and careful as possible I’ve hit an amazing 47kw/100miles.
how the heck did 986mike get 29?
Was that all downhill?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Mine is a PP.
Weather warmer today at 7oC and driving as slow and careful as possible I’ve hit an amazing 47kw/100miles.
Was that all downhill?
From Facebook (12deg C):-

I got this today:-

Ok 43.3, but I went down a large hill to get to the bike park and was on 32kWh/100mi ... then back up the same hill which took me to the 43.3 on the way home. I was towing a bike rack with 3 bikes and stopped for an hours in the middle. If I'd driven further I'm sure I would have dropped back to the 35's ... as I was at 46 at the top of the hill and it dropped to 43 on the 2 miles back on flat ground to home.

Did you check your tyre pressure? Are you on PP or non-PP?

Edit: Sorry I missed the "Mine is PP" ... you will get slightly higher figures. Should be no more than 10% ... however tyre pressure makes a massive difference.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Mine is a PP.
Was that all downhill?
No, a mixture of 60 mph (6 miles) and through town.
Try resetting your TM tomorrow after a couple of miles and compare it with TA. It will give you an idea of what you are losing from cold.
My TA journey to work at 4Deg was 45.9 and home at 11 deg 37.3kWh/100mi so the temp makes s big difference. Both journeys on the same roads and no regeneration, it can coast a long way with very little if any throttle.

·
Registered
330 Posts
From Facebook (12deg C):-
View attachment 3827

I got this today:-

Ok 43.3, but I went down a large hill to get to the bike park and was on 32kWh/100mi ... then back up the same hill which took me to the 43.3 on the way home. I was towing a bike rack with 3 bikes and stopped for an hours in the middle. If I'd driven further I'm sure I would have dropped back to the 35's ... as I was at 46 at the top of the hill and it dropped to 43 on the 2 miles back on flat ground to home.

Did you check your tyre pressure? Are you on PP or non-PP?

Edit: Sorry I missed the "Mine is PP" ... you will get slightly higher figures. Should be no more than 10% ... however tyre pressure makes a massive difference.
I think you meant tyre pressure doesn't make a massive difference. Plenty of threads on here concluding as much.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts