Polestar Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yes Tebay is a good services and always winning awards for its farm shop style fare instead of your usual fast food etc, its just over an hour for me to there, so rarely stop there when en route to Scotland, but used to use it a lot when doing some work in Carlisle. Sounds like a fairly uneventful trip despite the 4 charging stops and the young un on board. you mention wifeys bladder range, getting older that is more of a concern than car range for many of us :p
Pretty uneventful and stress free even with the little man.

At present I’m playing spot the P2 saw my 4th one today in Banff parked up behind the platform. Void with a private plate.

Weather has been good even though it has rained, the heavens opened up yesterday between Forfar and Aberdeen but stopped before we needed to get out, same today opened up in Inverurie but stopped by the time we got back to Aberdeen.

·
Registered
LRSM - Magnesium
11 Posts
Sounds like you have had a stress free trip. I regularly do Hamilton to Cambridge return, I have always found free bays at Gretna Ionity. I stay 1 mile from the Hamilton Fastned, that is a great facility, I have only used it once however because local CPS chargers are still free.

My favourite CPS charger however is in Kirriemuir. They have AC and DC chargers in the car park that contains a statue of Bon Scott. The original lead singer of AC/DC. :LOL:

In my travels which cover the length and breadth of GB I have found that Scotland is generally better provided with chargers than England but have less chargers over 50kW.

Enjoy your time in God's country.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Sounds like you have had a stress free trip. I regularly do Hamilton to Cambridge return, I have always found free bays at Gretna Ionity. I stay 1 mile from the Hamilton Fastned, that is a great facility, I have only used it once however because local CPS chargers are still free.

My favourite CPS charger however is in Kirriemuir. They have AC and DC chargers in the car park that contains a statue of Bon Scott. The original lead singer of AC/DC. :LOL:

In my travels which cover the length and breadth of GB I have found that Scotland is generally better provided with chargers than England but have less chargers over 50kW.

Enjoy your time in God's country.
Having a great time like always in Scotland, me and the wife enjoy it every time we visit. Would come even more regularly but problem with having an Indian born wife and my own large family base in India we have to go back regularly to visit so a lot of our holidays are tied up going to India, at least it’s cheap lol.

I believe the difference between Scotland’s charging network and England’s is ChargePlace Scotland. The one network covering vast majority of the country with others thrown in, plus the pricing being either free or cheap. England has just too many networks, too many apps or memberships needed, if it had one main network which supported with private sector it would be similar.

I feel The ChargePlace Scotland network don’t really need Rapid chargers as the other networks provide them and 50kwh is fast enough, which is probably the reason the networks is so good as the made savings by not having 350kwh chargers.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Have you used mostly the APP , RFID, or just Contactless?

I ask because I'm going to do the NC500 end of September and want to be prepared.
I’ve used the app, don’t have the rfid. If the app don’t work on a charger I call them and they start the charge remotely for me asking for a few security questions. Sometimes the wait on the phone is a bit long but other than service has been first class. Sure beats BP Pulse customer services.

Some of the free chargers can be started with any contactless, some start some don’t. The pay ones need the app or rfid card or for you to contact CS.

·
Registered
2022 LR Midnight, Pilot+Plus+tow 19"+Nappa no-pp
127 Posts

I ask because I'm going to do the NC500 end of September and want to be prepared.
We did the NC500 in May and we had the RFID card and I'd say it was essential. The phone signal is poor in some places. I'd echo the 24/7 service was really good. I was going to publish a write up I finished the text but need to add pictures I'll try and do that when I have time. It will hopefully be helpful for you and anyone else wanting to give it ago, the scenary is amazing and the beaches are so surprisingly good, of course the water is freezing. Basically charging wasn't a problem but I would say the real trick is to be charging when you do something else and that can be a bit of challenge. The other thing we found was some hotels did have chargers but didn't publish, so it's worth calling them. The best were at Thurso where it was in the hotel car park and at Bettyhill it was literally across the street from the only hotel. We stayed in one at Inverness had them in the car park but were all ice'd despite booking one but they finally found us one but it's some obscure network that despite having the app still wouldn't start the charge the only salvation turned out to be the Octopus Juice card which had that network and started the charge.
The other thing which actually bothered me more in the end was getting a puncture we didn't but the roads were really rough in some places. Pot hole avoidance turned into a bit of a sport dodging around in the lane. First time I've had a car without some sort of spare. I was almost tempted to buy a donut as I'm not completely confident in the gupe but in the end let it go in the interests of space. It was obvious that getting a tyre service was going to be difficult and more over them having the P* Mich was extemely remote.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

Since your going end of Sept just be safe and get the rfid card, it will arrive within 10 days. If you haven’t already register a ChargePlace Scotland account and give them the direct debit details within 72hrs. If you register without the DD details they will lock the account for charging, but you won’t know it’s locked as the email states account is locked until details provided. After providing details one assumes it will be unlocked but it won’t be until you call them.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So the return leg has just been completed in 12hrs 570 miles…..it wasn’t as smooth as the journey up but wasn’t stressful for me (Mrs is another matter). Lol

Started off just past Inverurie with 81% SOC…..before anyone asks I left the hotel with 90% and then went north for some of the best ice cream on the planet. If you haven’t tried the Barra Castle Farm ice cream you should give it a visit. Anyways I left Inverurie and headed south and stopped at Perth Ionity for a charge arrived with 43% SOC and problems started. Another P2 owner (From Manchester) informed me he had problems but give it a go, well I did and it wouldn’t charge red error, then cable wouldn’t release called Ionity who couldn’t release it either but went through numerous hoops with them and voila cable released. They asked if I wanted to plug it back I said no thanks lol. Another charger came free so I plugged in and charged to 88%.

Perth Ionity first time visit and it was busy, all chargers were occupied even the ones me and the other P2 had issues with for the entire time I was there. I forgot to ask the other P2 owner his name but he was returning from the outer Hebrides and was planning on stopping at Gretna Green next. I told him I might meet him and his family there lol.

Gretna Green, arrived with 38% SOC… all chargers full with 2 waiting, car could have made it further but I couldn’t so pit stop at the services. Returned to the chargers and still 2 waiting but they both got a spot within a minute and then I got a spot 2 minutes later. A MB EQB owner got chatting and stated he had 7 cars in front of him waiting and he has been there an hour. I reminded him to watch out for the 2 hour parking limit. Shortly after I plugged in the Family from Perth showed up lol. We got chatting again about the car and EVs in general. Shortly after that a magnesium P2 pulled up lol. 3 of us in one spot awesome. I was done by now charged to 88% to get to Stafford Ionity.

Stafford Ionity…..didn’t happen as I realised the time was nearly 9pm and me and the mrs got hungry so before the service station fast food counters shut down I pulled in to Charnock Services and the Gridserve charger was empty so I plugged in at 44% and charged to 90% whilst we ate.

So dilemma what do I do……attempt 210 miles from Charnock to home or have another stop….Google Map said I will arrive with -6%….Mrs went full panic mode….I said trust in the P2…..she said I ain’t pushing…..210 miles later arrive home with 15%soc. 3hrs 45 minutes non stop. Used to do that and more in my sleep now I’m aching in places I didn’t know existed.

Throughout the journey North and South Google Maps has been extremely conservative with estimates of battery usage. It may be because I stick to the speed limit and it’s expecting me to drive faster or it could be that it’s just wrong. If it’s the speed limit then an option needs to be provided so you can set your speed..e.g. slower, on or faster than speed limit.

I want to thank everyone for assisting me on this trip. First long distance road trip and it was a doddle thanks to the guidance you all provided.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts