Polestar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be heading down to Cornwall in a couple of weeks from North Shropshire with the family. ABRP has me charging at Somerset, before arriving at St Agnes (where we're staying) with just 10% SOC predicted which I need to think about as we'll be 4-up with a week's worth of junk in the car.

We'll be travelling a fair bit around Cornwall over the week, so I was wondering if there was anyone on here who either lived near, or had some EV experience of, the St Agnes area where we're staying? I can see where the chargers are on ZapMap, but as we all know, there's no substitute for recent first-hand knowledge when it comes to charging.

BP Pulse would be ideal and I think I'm going to re-plan the drive there and back around that, but I don't think that's going to be a viable option while we're actually down there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have just come from Devon and there is a 50kw charger at Exeter racecourse. An hour charging (and lunch) got me me back home to the midlands. I also found that the local Sainsbury had a free 7kw so made some of use of that as well. Good luck

·
Registered
258 Posts
Keep an eye on Ecotricity/Gridserve too as replacement roll out finally underway. Bridgwater been upgraded but only one unit i believe and in a couple of weeks time always possible the 2 at Cornwall services maybe done. This link (not mine) shows the status as and when they get upgraded.

·
Registered
494 Posts
If you are coming on the A30 North of Dartmoor, then I've used the 50KW genie point at Okehampton successfully. If you come south of Dartmoor on the A38 then there is 3 Swarco 50KW chargers along that route (near the Exeter racecourse one that @Haf mentioned, which I've also used) at Chudleigh, Buckfastleigh, and Ivybridge. I've found Ivybridge to be the most reliable.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Keep an eye on Ecotricity/Gridserve too as replacement roll out finally underway. Bridgwater been upgraded but only one unit i believe and in a couple of weeks time always possible the 2 at Cornwall services maybe done. This link (not mine) shows the status as and when they get upgraded.
Fantastic link, thanks for sharing.
I live in North Oxfordshire and we have a little holiday home midway between Exeter and Torquay - I to have been concerned about charging on our Devon trip switch are a couple of times a month in the summer.
For me the door-to-door distance is 180 miles, so in theory I should be able to get there without needing to charge. Unfortunately we don't have the ability for a home charger to be installed, so will be relying on a granny charger out the window so I'm thinking of stopping at one of the 50 w charging point on the way down to pick up some extra charge to make life a little easier.
That does seem to be a bit of a lack of 50 kw charges once you get beyond Exeter.
My P*2 is due to arrive at the end of June, so I guess I will soon be able to test

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,640 Posts
My strong recommendation is not to rely on BP Pulse chargers. There are a few Instavolts that are slightly off the beaten track but they are almost always reliable. There are three pairs in the Collumpton/Tiverton/Exeter area which we've used (most recently just a few days ago) without issue; there's a 125kW pair on the A303 just outside Honiton, and there are more further down too. I'd aim for those.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'll be heading down to Cornwall in a couple of weeks from North Shropshire with the family. ABRP has me charging at Somerset, before arriving at St Agnes (where we're staying) with just 10% SOC predicted which I need to think about as we'll be 4-up with a week's worth of junk in the car.

We'll be travelling a fair bit around Cornwall over the week, so I was wondering if there was anyone on here who either lived near, or had some EV experience of, the St Agnes area where we're staying? I can see where the chargers are on ZapMap, but as we all know, there's no substitute for recent first-hand knowledge when it comes to charging.

BP Pulse would be ideal and I think I'm going to re-plan the drive there and back around that, but I don't think that's going to be a viable option while we're actually down there.

Thanks!
Say hi to Poldark for me!!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the useful advice on the trip down there - seems to be a good number of options.

My bigger concern is still what I'm going to do while we're there though - ZapMap shows a few chargers in the area but without local knowledge it's difficult to know which ones are likely to be reliable and also not have a queue of fellow EV holidaymakers.

·
Registered
494 Posts
My bigger concern is still what I'm going to do while we're there though - ZapMap shows a few chargers in the area but without local knowledge it's difficult to know which ones are likely to be reliable and also not have a queue of fellow EV holidaymakers.
Sorry @NightFox, can't help you much there. Whilst I go in to Cornwall quite often, I'm just on the Devon/Cornwall border so never have the need to charge in Cornwall itself as I always have the range. It does look sparse on the fast charger front, and I agree you might be competing with other EV holidaymakers.

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
There's a GeniePoint just a few miles away at Trevissome Park which has a good solid batch of reviews on ZapMap. The thing to remember with GeniePoint is that even if you use the app to start it, you still have to touch the screen to start the charge as well! Also make sure you do that and only then plug the cable into the car and hold it there. GeniePoint chargers are generally pretty good. If there's one near you to try before you head off, it might provide some peace of mind.

There are also a couple of Shell Recharge stations on the A30 on the way down (but still within about 20-30 miles of your destination), so you could try those on route as it will give you a couple of back-ups then.

Frustrating that it's a bit of an InstaVolt wasteland down there - I thought it was better than that!

·
Registered
47 Posts
We had a trip to Cornwall w/c 12th April. Travelling from Birmingham to Falmouth. We stopped once at the BP Chargemaster at Weston on the way down. There are several around 20 miles radius of Bristol, all pretty easy to get to from the M5. Arrived with 50% and charged to 80% We arrived in Falmouth with 7% with only 'careful' driving for the last 30 miles. In retrospect I should have had an extra coffee for the additional 10% at Weston.

There is a BP Chargemaster in Falmouth outside a Hotel/Spa with no parking charges, restrictions or access time issues. We charged there and on the three-pin at the cottage overnight. There is another BP Chargemaster in Truro but I didn't use it.

On the way back I was feeling adventurous and stopped at Exeter services where the M5 begins. All points totally full, with a car waiting adjacent plus several cars queueing to wait. The next services I tried had Ecotricity with a 7Kw plug, which was pointless. Stopped at Weston again and walked for lunch across the road as the Miller & Carter it is outside was closed. I'm guessing it's open now.

·
Registered
176 Posts
We have been considering re-visiting Padstow but it is a 680 mile round trip, having looked at Zap-Map the chargers are thin on the ground. I know it goes against the grain but we may just hire an ice for 4 days, as I put the P2 though my company the BIK I am saving pa more than offsets the cost of 4 days car hire.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 Void Charcoal Non PP
138 Posts
To put my two pennies worth in, I’ve just had a weekend in the remote Lleyn Peninsular of North Wales, famed for its similar lack of chargers.

What was a revelation was that National Trust had fitted a single 7.5kW charger at each of four if it’s popular car parks, which was free to use on a first come first served basis.

Ok, you have to pay for parking or have a National Trust membership and park for free (like I did !) and boy did it p!as off the Teslarati to find a Polestar 2 had got there first ! 😉

So the moral of the story is : try a National Trust car park (marked on Zap Map) and travel without range anxiety !

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
Great stuff! The NT are steadily rolling out 7kW chargers at a lot of their sites now. Our local one, Charlecote Park, is due to have some fitted but I think they're not in yet due to the refurbishment of the car park site being delayed by a year because of COVID.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Not going to help for this trip but planning application in from Gridserve for 6 high power chargers (175/350kW) and 6 low power chargers (22kW) at Cornwall Services. Planning Application. Would hope the council would fast track this one.

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
For reference, this is about 10 miles south-west of Bodmin. This would be massively useful for getting into and back from Cornwall, hooray!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts