Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have booked a polestar 2, delivery expected February 2021.
So, I am looking at chargers. I have found Smart Home Chargers they provide great advice.

However, I have very poor mobile signal at home. Probably good enough for a smart charger but not good enough for car software updates.

First question, will the car update using WiFi?

I can get a strong WiFi signal but at this spot there is no mobile signal!

I would like to use Octopus agile and Octopus Go possibly with an Ohme charger.

Second question, if car can update by WiFi does it need to be on charge for updates?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Car does connect to WiFi. There are some WiFi connection constraints. If it cannot see your WiFi you have to disable WPS (Virgin, TP Link, Orbi). An easy fix for Orbi is to enable “guest WiFi”. Or tether to a phone different network.

It doesn’t need to be plugged in.

Ohme cable seems to be well rated by others.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Ohme cable needs cellular connection though and can't connect by WiFi. Are you sure you have no mobile signal from any network? That would be really rare!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ohme cable needs cellular connection though and can't connect by WiFi. Are you sure you have no mobile signal from any network? That would be really rare!
Unfortunately no reliable signal, nothing on EE, one bar on O2 occasionally two bars on Vodafone. I think I will have get either a Wallpoint or pod-point.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Doesn't mean it won't work fine - perhaps speak to Ohme and see if they'll lend you one - they do a version which just has a standard 13A plug - you could use it to test.

·
Super Moderator
702 Posts
Depending on who your broadband is with, you could get a Femtocell for about £20 (or BT will give you one for free if you push, and are on their network). This sets up a small mobile phone cell tower in your house, and your car should be able to connect to that, depending on how near the house it is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Depending on who your broadband is with, you could get a Femtocell for about £20 (or BT will give you one for free if you push, and are on their network). This sets up a small mobile phone cell tower in your house, and your car should be able to connect to that, depending on how near the house it is.
My house phone and broadband are with BT. I have discs around the house, though these we are able to use our mobile with WiFi calling.
Our garage is at the rear of our plot, so about 25 metres from our house so they discs don’t reach.
I will take your advice and contact Ohem on Monday.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you buy an extra disc or two and can place it in an upstairs window overlooking the garage and another in garage roof that may work - I’ve done similar and get 50-60m range overall. As well as OTA update you can put up a cam to watch your baby 👶 Perhaps try with existing disc before paying 2x £75 🤔

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Super Moderator
702 Posts
That's assuming OTA works via WiFi of course... If you ask BT and tell them you have major reception problems with your BT mobiles around the house, they will send you (for free) a FemtoCell. If you put that somewhere near the router (has to be directly connected) but with reasonable line of sight to the Ohme charging cable, that might work...

Also you can get a WiFi extender from Argos for about £20 which would do the same job as the BT discs but better!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Having made contact with Ohem I realise this solution is not available. So, I need to think outside of the box.

It seems some home chargers that can communicate by WiFi. I will have the Octopus agile account, will the IFTTT app switch on the charger when the electricity rate is below a particular price?

Is anyone using this solution?

·
Registered
30 Posts
The Ohme has a multi-carrier SIM - can use any network - There should be some way to find the charger's 'mobile number' ?Ohme should be able to tell you. In which case you could buy a mobile extender like Vodafone's sure signal device. Basically a 4G - pico-cell link via ethernet cable to give you signal to the Ohme might be worth while asking them. Though I agree it does seem a bit of a faff! You'll need to plug the sure signal device to you BT extender.

I only have Vodafone signal near by so I checked with Ohme. My reply from them:
'Thank you for your message and interest in Ohme! Our Ohme chargers have a multi-carrier SIM built in that will automatically connect to the strongest network from: 3Mobile, EE, O2 and Vodafone. If you have poor mobile reception the Ohme cannot be guaranteed to connect to the internet. Without a connection the Ohme charger will behave as a 'dumb' cable and simply charge the car when plugged in.'

·
Super Moderator
702 Posts
If This Then That, a home automation tool. I use it for turning off our smart home heating when no-one's in the house, and automatically turning it on again when someone comes home.

·
Super Moderator
702 Posts
As you're a BT customer, their Femtocell (should be free) should do what you want. Same as the 4G pico-cell mentioned by @JohnnyFarmer above.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Ohme has a multi-carrier SIM - can use any network - There should be some way to find the charger's 'mobile number' ?Ohme should be able to tell you. In which case you could buy a mobile extender like Vodafone's sure signal device. Basically a 4G - pico-cell link via ethernet cable to give you signal to the Ohme might be worth while asking them. Though I agree it does seem a bit of a faff! You'll need to plug the sure signal device to you BT extender.

I only have Vodafone signal near by so I checked with Ohme. My reply from them:
'Thank you for your message and interest in Ohme! Our Ohme chargers have a multi-carrier SIM built in that will automatically connect to the strongest network from: 3Mobile, EE, O2 and Vodafone. If you have poor mobile reception the Ohme cannot be guaranteed to connect to the internet. Without a connection the Ohme charger will behave as a 'dumb' cable and simply charge the car when plugged in.'
They sent me the same reply, for me no ee or o2 signal, one or two bars with Vodafone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As you're a BT customer, their Femtocell (should be free) should do what you want. Same as the 4G pico-cell mentioned by @JohnnyFarmer above.
I have BT landline and WiFi. My mobile is on Vodafone. I was hoping the Ohem charger could make WiFi calls but apparently not. I know on my iPhone text messages don’t work on WiFi calls.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You could ask Ohme to test the Pico/Femtocell work around- they might get some more buyers? It’s mobile signal rather than Wi-Fi

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If This Then That, a home automation tool. I use it for turning off our smart home heating when no-one's in the house, and automatically turning it on again when someone comes home.
Do you also use it to turn on your car charger?

·
Registered
203 Posts
You could ask Ohme to test the Pico/Femtocell work around- they might get some more buyers? It’s mobile signal rather than Wi-Fi
I though with WIFI calling the mobile phone operators were not giving these devices out now. The alternative is to buy a black market repeater, with an antenna on the roof.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts