Polestar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been able to negotiate all season tires on the 19”s instead of summer tires? Seems totally crazy for winter northern climates to not have @ least all seasons.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Some of us were able to get the OEM all season options fitted to our 19” wheels earlier on. But at that point it was because customer service and Space personnel were confused and guaranteed to us that the nonPP cars (19” or 20”) had all seasons, and only the PP came with summers.

Now instead of offering the option of all seasons for the 19” they just are more up front that they’re summers and make you deal with the switch. I’d still try to push them on it; the OEM 19” all seasons are pretty great imho. but wouldn’t get your hopes up

·
Registered
475 Posts
Some of us were able to get the OEM all season options fitted to our 19” wheels earlier on. But at that point it was because customer service and Space personnel were confused and guaranteed to us that the nonPP cars (19” or 20”) had all seasons, and only the PP came with summers.

Now instead of offering the option of all seasons for the 19” they just are more up front that they’re summers and make you deal with the switch. I’d still try to push them on it; the OEM 19” all seasons are pretty great imho. but wouldn’t get your hopes up

just as @polerad indicated a bunch of us indeed successfully got them switched but simply because they did basically not deliver what was ordered. They changed the spec sheet since then.
however if you live in a statewhere it’s illegal to drive with summers in winterand the car gets delivered in winter then you could argue that the car should be delivered with road legal tires….

·
Registered
2021 Midnight 19"
7 Posts

I was looking to get all seasons put on. What are brand and model the OEM ones that you were fitted with?

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Reactions: stubee

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I was looking to get all seasons put on. What are brand and model the OEM ones that you were fitted with?
BTW - I went with the OEMs because that's what Polestar offered.
If I chose on my own, I might go for the Michelin CrossClimate2:

Based in part on reviews like this:

Looks like the load rating, etc are similar to the OEM version.

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
2021 Midnight 19"
7 Posts

That's actually really great to know. I wanted the CrossClimate on my ICE vehicle, but they don't make a size that fits my vehicles wheels. I'll have to look into having them installed on my polestar!

Thank you!

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
1,020 Posts
For the 19" in europe the CrossClimate2 are practically identical to the OEM POL ones. Are the North American market tyres usually different? Other than being spelled tires of course? :)

It's slightly noiser due to lack of the acoustic foam, and less efficient, but slightly less range and more noise is a perfectly acceptable compromise to get severe snow capability, and better cold grip at the expense of a slight loss in hot weather grip (were both should be more than sufficient):

Font Parallel Rectangle Screenshot Number
Font Rectangle Parallel Number Screenshot

·
Registered
2021 Midnight 19"
7 Posts
For the 19" in europe the CrossClimate2 are practically identical to the OEM POL ones. Are the North American market tyres usually different? Other than being spelled tires of course? :)

It's slightly noiser due to lack of the acoustic foam, and less efficient, but slightly less range and more noise is a perfectly acceptable compromise to get severe snow capability, and better cold grip at the expense of a slight loss in hot weather grip (were both should be more than sufficient):
This is where I'm having a hard time. I live in the Pacific North West. We don't really get much snow (maybe one or two days a year) and it doesn't really get that cold (avg winter temp of around 40 F). I may be able to get by with the Primacy 4 summers that were included with the 19s

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Comparing the Michelin Primacy4 POL (OEM 19" Summers) to the Conti ProContact RX POL (OEM 19" All Seasons), I find that the Conti all seasons are less noisy and have a more comfortable ride quality. Hard to tell about efficiency as I switched them out in January here and have put way more miles on the all seasons, and rode the summers before the software updates that were meant to improve efficiency. I expect the efficiency difference is marginal and outweighed by how much I speed and the ambient temperature and road conditions.

Per reviews the Conti ProContact RX (POL not reviewed) generally handles worse than the Michelin CrossClimate2 and with worse ride quality. The CrossClimate2 is snow rated too, which would help with trips to Tahoe. Given they cost the same at tirerack, if/when I have to switch out the tires (which may be sooner than expected given my rate of wear based on how I drive....) I'll probably chance it in terms of noise and efficiency by going with the CrossClimate2 - or whatever has taken the top ratings by then.

Now, given my Performance spec tires are wearing even faster..... do I switch to the CrossClimate2 for that too, going from summer to all seasons?? :unsure:

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
2 Posts

I am getting the Michelin CrossClimate2's installed at Costco tomorrow. Not happy that I have to but tire and have owned the car for 1 week today.
Brad

·
Registered
2021 Midnight 19"
7 Posts
I am getting the Michelin CrossClimate2's installed at Costco tomorrow. Not happy that I have to but tire and have owned the car for 1 week today.
Brad
Let us know how they drive and how they feel once you have some time on them! I think there is more than one of us curious :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts