Polestar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now the world's governments are all skint it wont be long til they all look at new or old ways to fleece everyone out of their hard earned cash to pay for their duck ponds (for those that aren't British that was a genuine claim in the expenses scandal a few years back).

I was driving my car home at near midnight on Friday (it's been fixed woohoo) and I realised the one thing that would be more enticing than zero road tax would be to... increase the speed limit for EVs.

The reasons this idea is brilliant is as follows

1 It costs the government nothing on the basis it is only valid where there are no speed restrictions, i.e. only motorways when no cameras are operational.

2 I can get home quicker, so long as I dont go so fast i use up my battery going too fast. In other words I am still likely to drive slower on long journeys to avoid midway recharging.

3 A common reason for speed limits is to reduce pollution from but as we aren't burning dinosaur juice that isn't a factor

4 Cars have got much safer since the speed limits were introduced etc.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Be a quick way for the charging companies to start turning a profit too! Win/win.

Reactions: polerad

·
Registered
147 Posts
Cracks me up that there is a Federal Income Tax Credit, but then North Carolina tacks on an annual EV Fee to make up for the fact that it relies on gasoline sales to pay for road improvements, slowly draining away the incentive of the tax credit.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,202 Posts
Cracks me up that there is a Federal Income Tax Credit, but then North Carolina tacks on an annual EV Fee to make up for the fact that it relies on gasoline sales to pay for road improvements, slowly draining away the incentive of the tax credit.
the state level EV specific taxes have nothing to do with paying for infrastructure- that could easily come from general use funds and it’s not like the gas tax has been keeping pace with infrastructure needs. And the revenue generated from it is minuscule in comparison to the needs of infrastructure development

it has everything to do with owning the libs

·
Registered
20 Posts
1 It costs the government nothing on the basis it is only valid where there are no speed restrictions, i.e. only motorways when no cameras are operational.
Love the idea but there are plenty of speed cameras on the M1 now unfortunately (and presumably others?) and not just for the variable speed limit sections. Not sure if this should be an impediment though as any 'speeding' drivers will have their registration numbers checked against the DVLA database which will no doubt reference which are EVs and which aren't .

It did cross my mind though that the section of the M1 around Sheffield J33 to 34 where there is regularly a 50mph speed limit due to 'Poor air quality', shouldn't be applied to EVs. I believe there are several other motorway sections nationally where air quality issues result in lowered speed limits.

As California seems to lead in these kind of issues are there likely to be variable speed limits for EVs v ICE powered vehicles there?

·
Super Moderator
1,199 Posts
It did cross my mind though that the section of the M1 around Sheffield J33 to 34 where there is regularly a 50mph speed limit due to 'Poor air quality', shouldn't be applied to EVs. I believe there are several other motorway sections nationally where air quality issues result in lowered speed limits.
Austria is doing exactly this: Some stretches of their Autobahn have a 100km/h speed limit due to air quality (IG-L) which does not apply to EVs.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Austria is doing exactly this: Some stretches of their Autobahn have a 100km/h speed limit due to air quality (IG-L) which does not apply to EVs.
And the diesels stay out of the left lane to let those EV's pass?

·
Registered
176 Posts
IDK, never drove there 🤷‍♂️
It was more of a rhetorical question. I would think that EV-envy would lead to the fast lane being ICE'd.

·
Registered
972 Posts
As California seems to lead in these kind of issues are there likely to be variable speed limits for EVs v ICE powered vehicles there?
Kinda. EVs qualify for free use of the HOV\carpool lane, for I think 3 years, which sometimes moves more quickly and smoothly than regular traffic.

They give you ugly stickers you need to put on the car though...

Reactions: v6coop
1 - 12 of 12 Posts