Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2022 P2 Midnight PPP
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I wanted to see how all the different light settings worked/appeared from the outside of the vehicle, but I'm struggling to find a way to keep the lights on when I get out of the seat. Is there an easy way to do this without putting a bag of cat litter on the seat or something?

I'm sure this has been discussed, but couldn't seem to find a relevant thread through search.

· Registered
159 Posts
You can get 30/60/90 (chosen in settings) seconds of light by pressing the stalk on wheel forward as if for brights.

This is a huge oversight not being able to keep the lights on for safety when obstacles such as rocks are in the road during the night.

· Registered
2022 P2 Midnight PPP
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all, I didn't know about the home safe lighting. That will be great to see how the different settings look. Now just have to figure out how to keep it on longer so I can shoot some nice video of it.

Haven't any of these designers ever had a backyard or a campsite or a shady edge-of-town parking lot meeting where only one person comes back alive? Sometimes we need our lights on for a while!

· Registered
607 Posts
Hey, I wanted to see how all the different light settings worked/appeared from the outside of the vehicle, but I'm struggling to find a way to keep the lights on when I get out of the seat. Is there an easy way to do this without putting a bag of cat litter on the seat or something?

I'm sure this has been discussed, but couldn't seem to find a relevant thread through search.

I had the same desire. I finally decided the easiest solution was to get my wife, gf, son, dau, neighbor, etc) to get in the car while I was on the outside.

Specifically, I wanted to see the front and rear fog lamps lit up.

· Registered
2022 P2 Midnight PPP
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the same desire. I finally decided the easiest solution was to get my wife, gf, son, dau, neighbor, etc) to get in the car while I was on the outside.

Specifically, I wanted to see the front and rear fog lamps lit up.
Yeah the rear fog lamps I want to see too. I've never had a car with those before.

· Registered
47 Posts
Thanks all, I didn't know about the home safe lighting. That will be great to see how the different settings look. Now just have to figure out how to keep it on longer so I can shoot some nice video of it.

Haven't any of these designers ever had a backyard or a campsite or a shady edge-of-town parking lot meeting where only one person comes back alive? Sometimes we need our lights on for a while!
If you'd wanna try something else,
Keep the door closed and unbuckle your seat belt. After that buckle it underneath you instead of over you. Once it's buckled you should be able to leave the car as long as the seatbelt is in.

Edit: Lol I was wrong, just tried it out again. It used to work but I guess an update changed in.

Edit 2:Haha I was wrong again. Turns out it still works I just remembered the last step that I used to take. Instead of getting out of the drivers side door get out of the passengers door instead. I wish you luck if you aren't limber.

· Registered
MY22 LRSM Void,Pilot,Plus
759 Posts
Does pressing the play/pause button as you get out do it? That works for music and aircon but I've never taken any notice of the lights.

· Registered
P*2 DMLR Midnight Plus+Pilot lite
98 Posts
For me I'd need the indicators to stay active when I get out from the driver's seat. E.g. pulling over temporarily next to the school to get the kids out, by a rural road when needing to get something out from the boot etc. In all these conditions the car simply turns dark, which is not great.

· Registered
98 Posts
They have a different meaning here in Finland, people typically use them for emergencies (e.g. car broke down, I've just had an accident, unable to move) etc. Don't want to give that impression :) I know their usage is quite different in other parts of the world...

· Registered
1,791 Posts
Hazard lights don’t allow you to see what you’re doing while clearing the road.
The context was when pulled over, leave the engine running (in an ice), and using the indicators to indicate he is doing that.

Personally I find that very confusing as it isn't clear what the person is doing. Also it is typically then on the wrong side of the vehicle to be noticed by passing vehicles in the dark for the width of the car. Hence when you are a hazard to other vehicles use the hazard lights, and they do work when out of the drivers seat.

For the other purpose I just use the remote on key or phone to light up the car again if I don't have a passenger that can keep it engaged. I must admit I've never tried switching to manual and see if they work that way when the car is unlocked. On most of my cars in auto the lights don't work when the ignition is off, but I can switch them to manual to light them up...

· Registered
25 Posts
As per the manual:

parking lights

The parking lights can be used to help other road users see the vehicle if it is stopped or parked. Use the lighting ring on the steering wheel lever to turn on the parking lights.
PS-2007-Left-side steering wheel lever-Turning ring in Position light

Lighting ring in the parking light position.
Turn the lighting ring to the
position to turn on the front and back parking lights (the license plate lighting will also illuminate).
Canadian models: If the vehicle is in drive mode, the daytime running lights will illuminate instead of the front parking lights.
US models: When
mode is selected, the daytime running lights can be deactivated in the center display. The parking lights will also be deactivated. In weak daylight or dark conditions, the parking lights and low beams will be illuminated.
In dark conditions, the rear parking lights also illuminate when the tailgate is opened to alert following traffic. The parking lights will stay on for about 10 minutes or until the tailgate is closed

· Registered
607 Posts
Yeah the rear fog lamps I want to see too. I've never had a car with those before.

I have them on my 2021 Porsche 911 and they are quite stunning. Literally. They are almost too bright on the Porsche, and suspect if I activated them, the guy behind me would not appreciate their brightness. But I guesss on a foggy night, they would be quite helpful in illuminating the rear end of your car, so oncoming traffic can see. To date, I have not had a situation, either on the Porsche or the Polestar, to use the rear fogs.

· Registered
98 Posts
Rear fogs have been obligatory in Europe for ages. I always use them if there is hard rain or heavy snow and I'm driving on a highway, Really helps when you can spot the car in front of you much sooner (also avoiding those costly dangerous pileups).

· Registered
30 Posts
Keep the door closed and unbuckle your seat belt. After that buckle it underneath you instead of over you. Once it's buckled you should be able to leave the car as long as the seatbelt is in.

Edit: Lol I was wrong, just tried it out again. It used to work but I guess an update changed in.

Edit 2:Haha I was wrong again. Turns out it still works I just remembered the last step that I used to take. Instead of getting out of the drivers side door get out of the passengers door instead. I wish you luck if you aren't limber.
You can also climb out the driver's window without opening the door and it'll keep the car on that way too. It only stays on for 30 minutes in Park though, and then it'll shut down even if you're still in the car. The only way to keep it on indefinitely is to put a weight on the brake pedal and keep it in Drive, but then of course it's in Drive which is a bit dangerous, and also it's making that obnoxious spaceship noise the whole time.

· Registered
P2, Snow, Slate, PP, Hitch, Nextbase Dashcam, 20% Tint, Polestar, give us more regen. breaking!
651 Posts

I'm worried this logic will lead to us finding a way to climb into our back seat while the ACC in engaged. 🤣 Maybe we leave that to the Tesla owners.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts