Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I trust this little story will help others whilst exposing my own lack of knowledge. Where do I begin?

A bit of background. Well I’m a fairly tech savvy ex-commercial aviator in my 60s. I am a complete newbie to electric vehicles and about 4 hours ago I was intending to send this P2 piece of garbage back to Sweden or wherever it was cobbled together because it was not fit for purpose!

I had read quite a bit of the manual and believed I was set well for my journey. I had checked out a few local charging points: BP Pulse, Pod Point (Tesco car park), Ecotricity Highway at a motorway service. I must say at this point that the handover from BCA was pretty dire and took about 20 minutes. No PlugSurf RFID card, no jack, no 1st Aid kit and the onboard manual didn’t work. The delivery driver knew the basics of how to get the vehicle moving and how to get his way around the infotainment system and that was about it. I’m not sure what I was expecting.

Okay, here we go. How about a 250 mile journey that took me 10 1/2 hours - yes you did read that correctly! Appalling weather, driving rain, plenty of spray and just 5°C average temperature and mainly in the dark. Left home at 14:30 with 100% 270 miles predicted, arrived at 01:00 the next morning 250 miles South having crossed the Pennines via the M62 along the way. My two dogs in a crate on the back seat weren't too pleased either although they did get plenty of walks!

My intentions were to make just one stop along the way. I used motorways and A roads throughout and ACC where possible. I didn't preheat the vehicle I just set off. Speeds varied from 40 mph in roadworks to 70 mph on just a few occasions. By now I had worked out that in the weather conditions I would only achieve about 180 mile full battery range.

Charging Stop 1: Distance travelled 108 miles 40% available. 1 hr and 41 minutes later at 24 mph I got seriously impatient and set off with 58% and 90 miles range. I had consumed 18.4 kw using a BP Pulse 43 kw charger at a Co-Op service point. At this point the on board google map dropped out and never returned so using my iPhone I had 125 miles to my destination. Okay I would stop again later although things weren’t going as I had expected. My wife phoned and was concerned because although she had set off in another car after me she had already reached our destination.

Charging Stop 2: By setting off too soon from charging stop 1 I had now effectively “painted myself” into a corner with not many places to go. I turned off the motorway and could only find a Chargemaster 7 kw charger within range. Arrived with 10% and about 15 miles left. 81 minutes later at just 4 mph I could now reach a 43 kw charger for my final charge.

Charging Stop 3: Arrived with 10% and 10 miles left. 1 hr and 35 minutes later I could now make the final leg with 26% and 45 miles in the tank. I had consumed a further 17.7 kw at 24 mph recharge rate.

Summary:
Total charge time: 4 hrs 37 minutes.
Total charge cost: £30.21 which includes two £10 overstay charges (90 minute limit).
Total drive time: 5 hrs 53 minutes.

Now I’m sure you experts will have spotted my deliberate school boy error very early on in my short story?

My wife suggested that I send it back and I was becoming very embarrassed about my click and order purchase - hadn’t even seen one in the flesh prior to delivery let alone sat in one! (No test drives available up in Manchester - all taken within 30 minutes of the email.)
The whole experience was clearly not what I had envisaged.

So where did I go wrong? Time to call a friend and join this forum.

What have I learnt?
1 There is a huge difference between AC (Type 2) and DC (CSS) charging rates.
2 The P2 has a cover over the CSS connection port which will vastly reduce my recharging times when available.
3 Polestar assumes that I know a lot about recharging electric vehicles and their manual is very poor when it comes to recharging basics.
4 I believe that BCA should cover this point at the delivery stage?
5 I am relieved to find out that my new found knowledge will improve my enjoyment of my P2.

What would `I like to find out?
Navigation
1 Where does the Google Map app get its data from? From my phone or the car mobile connection?
2 Where does the dashboard map get its data from? It would appear to be a different source?
3 How do I put the Google map into “dark mode” manually? (I’ve found the general dash light switch by my right knee.)
4 How do I search for a route using “shortest distance” rather than “fastest time” parameters?
5 Is it possible to tether the car to a mobile phone for data usage?
6 How do I download maps for the Google Map App?

General
7 Does the bonnet have a light?
8 Why do the rear lights flash at certain times during a recharge and what do they mean?

Hope this helps.

Peace love and bendy roads ; - ))

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,863 Posts
I trust this little story will help others whilst exposing my own lack of knowledge. Where do I begin?

A bit of background. Well I’m a fairly tech savvy ex-commercial aviator in my 60s. I am a complete newbie to electric vehicles and about 4 hours ago I was intending to send this P2 piece of garbage back to Sweden or wherever it was cobbled together because it was not fit for purpose!

I had read quite a bit of the manual and believed I was set well for my journey. I had checked out a few local charging points: BP Pulse, Pod Point (Tesco car park), Ecotricity Highway at a motorway service. I must say at this point that the handover from BCA was pretty dire and took about 20 minutes. No PlugSurf RFID card, no jack, no 1st Aid kit and the onboard manual didn’t work. The delivery driver knew the basics of how to get the vehicle moving and how to get his way around the infotainment system and that was about it. I’m not sure what I was expecting.

Okay, here we go. How about a 250 mile journey that took me 10 1/2 hours - yes you did read that correctly! Appalling weather, driving rain, plenty of spray and just 5°C average temperature and mainly in the dark. Left home at 14:30 with 100% 270 miles predicted, arrived at 01:00 the next morning 250 miles South having crossed the Pennines via the M62 along the way. My two dogs in a crate on the back seat weren't too pleased either although they did get plenty of walks!

My intentions were to make just one stop along the way. I used motorways and A roads throughout and ACC where possible. I didn't preheat the vehicle I just set off. Speeds varied from 40 mph in roadworks to 70 mph on just a few occasions. By now I had worked out that in the weather conditions I would only achieve about 180 mile full battery range.

Charging Stop 1: Distance travelled 108 miles 40% available. 1 hr and 41 minutes later at 24 mph I got seriously impatient and set off with 58% and 90 miles range. I had consumed 18.4 kw using a BP Pulse 43 kw charger at a Co-Op service point. At this point the on board google map dropped out and never returned so using my iPhone I had 125 miles to my destination. Okay I would stop again later although things weren’t going as I had expected. My wife phoned and was concerned because although she had set off in another car after me she had already reached our destination.

Charging Stop 2: By setting off too soon from charging stop 1 I had now effectively “painted myself” into a corner with not many places to go. I turned off the motorway and could only find a Chargemaster 7 kw charger within range. Arrived with 10% and about 15 miles left. 81 minutes later at just 4 mph I could now reach a 43 kw charger for my final charge.

Charging Stop 3: Arrived with 10% and 10 miles left. 1 hr and 35 minutes later I could now make the final leg with 26% and 45 miles in the tank. I had consumed a further 17.7 kw at 24 mph recharge rate.

Summary:
Total charge time: 4 hrs 37 minutes.
Total charge cost: £30.21 which includes two £10 overstay charges (90 minute limit).
Total drive time: 5 hrs 53 minutes.

Now I’m sure you experts will have spotted my deliberate school boy error very early on in my short story?

My wife suggested that I send it back and I was becoming very embarrassed about my click and order purchase - hadn’t even seen one in the flesh prior to delivery let alone sat in one! (No test drives available up in Manchester - all taken within 30 minutes of the email.)
The whole experience was clearly not what I had envisaged.

So where did I go wrong? Time to call a friend and join this forum.

What have I learnt?
2 The P2 has a cover over the CSS connection port which will vastly reduce my recharging times when available.
3 Polestar assumes that I know a lot about recharging electric vehicles and their manual is very poor when it comes to recharging basics.
4 I believe that BCA should cover this point at the delivery stage?
5 I am relieved to find out that my new found knowledge will improve my enjoyment of my P2.

Navigation
1 Where does the Google Map app get its data from? From my phone or the car mobile connection?
2 Where does the dashboard map get its data from? It would appear to be a different source?
3 How do I put the Google map into “dark mode” manually? (I’ve found the general dash light switch by my right knee.)
4 How do I search for a route using “shortest distance” rather than “fastest time” parameters?

General
8 Why do the rear lights flash at certain times during a recharge and what do they mean?

Hope this helps.

Peace love and bendy roads ; - ))
Welcome @Spitfiremcguire
You survived so fair play. I’m up to 2500 miles but haven’t made a long journey yet. You will have no doubt learned so much from your mistakes.
Once you have received the info you need from some of our knowledgeable members, please tell us about the aspects of the car you enjoy/love.
All the best!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Navigation

General
1. The Car uses it's own electronic SIM and network. If the 4G is lost you can use HotSpot on your phone to make it a wifi connection for the car to connect too.

2. We are not sure on this, but others have pointed out it can differ - however I've never noticed this myself.

3. Under Settings there is a "display" or "brightness" setting ... can't remember now but I can post tomorrow. Somewhere you'll find the Options of AUTO - LIGHT - DARK. Obviously DARK is what you are asking for.

4. Not tried myself, however try "Hay google navigate to X via shortest route" ... again I'll try tomorrow. Normally I just leave it alone.

5. Yes, see 1. Where you set your phone up as a "HotSpot Wifi" and then under the car you turn on wifi, and connect to that.

6. You can't manually. The car will preload most of the map along route in case the 4G drops. But to my knowledge there is no way to download for off-line anyway.

7. Don't think so.

8. Rear lights? Or the green light by the charging socket?

Anyway, nice title :LOL:

Thanks for sharing. Here are some pointers.

a) Ignore the estimate range in the Drivers Display. It's based on Summer perfect conditions - and therefore pointless. Take the battery % and double it - that's your real range....although ....

b) The first 10% of battery will just disappear in cold weather. It's being used to heat the car and batteries. So in essence winter driving you'll have 180miles from 100% Battery.

c) Did you set destination on google, then add chargers? Or did you find the charger and set that as each destination?
The reason I ask is that google isn't too bad at suggesting good Rapid CCS chargers.

d) A combination of Zap-Map and A Better Route Planner is what I would use for a long drive. Firstly use ABRP and see what it suggests. Ignore the time at chargers ... it uses the perfect charging curve but in essence you'll just be there a bit longer to hit the Battery % you need. Then double check the charger it suggests on Zap-Map. If there are recent confirmed successful charges, then you are good to go.

There are some settings in ABRP that need adjusting but I can show those later. You were right in predicating only one charge should have been needed. By my calculations a charge around 20% to 70% (80% for a bit more wiggle) would have done it.

I've been watching and following EV'ers on youtube for 10 years ... so even though my first EV I've watched and listened to many youtubers go through the learning curve! You did it the hard way ;)

·
Registered
Oct '20 / VIN47xx. Void, Slate, 20"
554 Posts
Welcome @Spitfiremcguire!

Eurgh. Sounds like a nightmare! When I got my Polestar, I was a complete EV newbie and I made a 243 mile trip on my second day (back in October). Nothing like a baptism of fire, eh?

On that trip, I stopped 3 times - firstly at a (broken) bank of Ecotricity chargers so gave up and went to another services where the Ecotricity (DC) charger worked! My first big mistake was trying Ecotricity I think, which it turns out are notoriously unreliable. My third and final stop was at an Ionity which worked great and I got nearly 100kW charge rate. I think the trip took about 6 hours. On the way home a few days later, I just stopped once at the Ionity, and the trip only took about 5 hours.

As you've no doubt discovered, the most you can get on AC is 11kW due to the limitation of the OBC, so unless you're happy to be charging for a long time (overnight), I'd stick to DC / CCS on roadtrips.

To answer your questions...

Pretty sure they both come from the car mobile connection.

Gotta confess I've never tried any of these, but I think you can just use your phone as a wifi hotspot.

This is under the 'cog' icon in the on the map. Go to 'offline maps'.

I don't think so.

Sorry, I've never seen this?!

·
Registered
Oct '20 / VIN47xx. Void, Slate, 20"
554 Posts
btw, @GDank - you can definitely manage your offline maps in the map app (see my answer above) :)

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
btw, @GDank - you can definitely manage your offline maps in the map app (see my answer above) :)
Yeah saw that ... I'll need to try tomorrow. TBH though I've never had a problem with 4G once I've been on the move.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
I feel your pain Spitfire! My daughter and I picked up the car in NYC and were on the road at about 6:30 p.m. Normally it's a four-hour drive home, but we arrived at 2 in the morning. I was going through that trial by fire, too.

Yup... DC is the only way to charge in the middle of a trip. If you're staying overnight someplace, an AC charger will be just fine.

Don't try to charge past 80% on the road... the car has something called a charging curve and it will slow down the rate at which you charge drastically when you hit 80%.

Apps are your friend and there are a bunch of them out there. Users leave feedback about lousy chargers or broken chargers or shady neighborhoods.

It's hard to get used to, but realize the car is its own entity. It doesn't need your phone or anybody else's. That's a mental shift for me.

This is my first EV and it's a game changer. Mostly, I love the differences. Getting road trips done takes a change in outlook and planning and philosophy, but I'm already looking forward to my next one. In the meantime, I've had more than enough range from my home charger... It hasn't even been close.

Welcome.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Welcome, @Spitfiremcguire! I think you will find many answers here (you can see many here already), and also help us all learn as we go. We are definitely on the bleeding edge here and this forum allows us all to help each other. I think the fact that I had to wait an extra 3 months from the original date to get my car was actually very beneficial. I discovered this forum and did a ton of lurking and reading old posts - it really helped me learn about the P2 and about BEV's in general. I also watched tons of Youtube videos and got most of the apps (PlugShare, ABRP, etc.) and simulated trips to various destinations. I also learned here about the reality of charge and consumption for this car and made adjustments to my simulations. My pickup and drive home was an 1100 mile journey and even with meticulous planning, I had to rely on what I had learned after running into various challenges. I documented the trip on another thread if you're interested. :)

Like @ProfessorCook I really look forward to my next long trip. I love the car, can live with the idiosyncrasies, expect significant OTA improvements, and just get a thrill out of driving it. Hopefully you'll decide to keep it and that the missus will warm up to it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi Spitfire, welcome aboard!

The maximum AC charge rate for the Polestar is only 11KWh, so all of those AC chargers that say they can deliver 43KW will only supply 11KW per hour which would equate to about 24mph, so that was the main problem with the chargers you used.

To give some context I recently did a 430 mile round trip up to see my parents and so did a bit of planning beforehand to find all the 50KW and above DC chargers for my route. From there I also made sure that I had a couple of backup charge points for each stop, just in case I got a bad one (which I did for my first stop).

So in total I took 4 hours to get to my destination, arrived with 38% battery with one stop (215 miles) and had a 5 hour trip back as I didn't charge at all before I set off back and so had to stop twice. Got home with 9% battery and then charged overnight. 9 hours to do 430 miles or about 43 mph.

If I'd had more time, I would have found a DC charger at the destination and topped off to about 90%, which would have meant just one stop in each direction and saved about an hour off the travel time.

The pros of the trip? I used a BP Pulse charge which was free (actual cost was about £7.50). As you're in the UK you should be getting an email which says that you will get 12 months free membership and £450 of credit on it, so use that, it will give you between 8 & 10,000 miles of free travel. I also used an Ecotricity and Instavolt charge for the other two charges and they cost me about £25.

Previously with my BMW540i that would have cost me around £80 in fuel and I would have had to fill to the brim before setting off, or fill up at my destination.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Thanks for sharing your story @Spitfiremcguire , I can absolutely see how anyone could get this wrong and end up learning the hard way. Particularly for you and those others who first journey had to be a long/epic one. Many others (like me) have been able to do their learning on shorter/medium journeys, before spreading their wings.

Also, if you ever find yourself in an emergency of having to rely on a 7KW charger (like your charging stop 2) then it might be worth investing in a 2nd charger cable (Single phase 32A) or a replacement charger cable (3 Phase 32A) since the one Polestar supplied with the car (3 phase 16A) will only get you 3.7KWh at a 7KW charger.

Normally people will plan around DC charger's (50KW and upwards), but if you're ever stuck then charging at a 7KW or 11KW AC might just save you in some cases to either get to your destination or put enough juice in to get you to a DC en-route.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
My bad.... You can't adjust the map to be always in dark mode. Very strange I'm sure I'd seen the option but I checked today and could not find it.

I did find the download offline maps section!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you to all who have responded. My return journey was a much more pleasant experience and I may as well keep the car until ............

Went to preheat the vehicle this morning and cannot get into it!
Dead as a dodo. Used both key fobs to no avail. Only lights are the green charging port and the security red flashing light under the front windscreen. Unplugged granny lead at the mains and unable to disconnect from the car.

Polestar recovery on the way ; - ))

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Thank you to all who have responded. My return journey was a much more pleasant experience and I may as well keep the car until ............

Went to preheat the vehicle this morning and cannot get into it!
Dead as a dodo. Used both key fobs to no avail. Only lights are the green charging port and the security red flashing light under the front windscreen. Unplugged granny lead at the mains and unable to disconnect from the car.

Polestar recovery on the way ; - ))
Sounds like a dead 12V. Are you on Sub 8000 VIN? Have you had the recall work done?

Man ... you have had the harshest time!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi again @GDank

Sounds like a dead 12V. Are you on Sub 8000 VIN? Have you had the recall work done?
My VIN ends in 8003 and FYI here's the report from the Allianz Assistance driver:

"attend customer home address cant access via remote gain entry with key nsf door check 12v battery good carry out hard reset still not working remove tried all resets on display removed charge cable and and got vehicle running locked manually via nsf door and arranged pick up weds morning to drive into dealer as closed today"

Sounds a bit more serious than I was expecting and will no doubt dent my confidence in P2s a little.

Just glad it didn't happen a day earlier when I was down route!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Hi again @GDank

My VIN ends in 8003 and FYI here's the report from the Allianz Assistance driver:

"attend customer home address cant access via remote gain entry with key nsf door check 12v battery good carry out hard reset still not working remove tried all resets on display removed charge cable and and got vehicle running locked manually via nsf door and arranged pick up weds morning to drive into dealer as closed today"

Sounds a bit more serious than I was expecting and will no doubt dent my confidence in P2s a little.

Just glad it didn't happen a day earlier when I was down route!
Yep, that is a low VIN and probably in the range where you need some parts replaced. Things will be much better with the parts replaced and the software updated.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hello Spitfire, and welcome. Just wondering if your car is one of those "pre configured" vehicles which Polestar has been offering for sale? If so, it's not good that they've released them without making the recall repairs and updates which they know are necessary 🤨. Good luck with your car whatever - I hope that you and it can be reconciled.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi @Parker and thanks for your input. I'm not familiar with "pre configured" vehicles. It was certainly pre registered about a month before I took delivery which was on December 11th 2020 if that sheds any light on the situation? I will call PS support tomorrow for a few answers maybe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi @Mick and thanks for your comments.

Yep, that is a low VIN and probably in the range where you need some parts replaced. Things will be much better with the parts replaced and the software updated.
Do you know which parts we are talking about please? This is the first that I have heard about such a thing/recall.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts