Polestar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
The entire system is Android. You don't need AA.
There are many android auto apps that don't have android automotive support. The app ecosystem for android automotive is not proven yet to say when or if they'll ever be ported.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Correct. The app has to be made available for this platform. You can't just bring up Netflix while you drive 😁.
Right, so that's why I asked about Android Auto ... I know my Amazon Music will work, but atm it doesn't look like I can directly download it to the car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree (see my point above about some apps not being supported on automotive but are on auto).

With carplay coming next year, I'm worried that other android auto platforms and carplay will have more support than the native automotive platform. This is especially concerning because of the small (current) install base of automotive, I'm worried that support may not take off.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only time will tell on these things. But what I've read leads me to believe that Google's in-dash system implementation is the future for all manufacturers. They are delighted to outsource something few have ever done well in-house.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Given that Google hasn't even ported YouTube/Google music, they're not really showing enthusiastic support.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think it's really about the apps. You are actually driving a car for the time being, so paying attention is still necessary. This implementation is more about the "hey google" voice recognition and it's interface with car functions. No one does it better.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't think it's really about the apps.
Of course this is about apps. Otherwise Android auto and CarPlay would never have existed. One of your primary advantages of Android is the potential of the app catalog. I want Waze, I want Spotify, I want audible and a decent podcast app.

Do you know how unhappy people were until Tesla got Spotify support?

Where's your data backing up that most people want to use their voice for controlling their car? Is it useful? Sure. Would I give up other features for it? Nope.

Not having your first party music app work on your first fully integrated infotainment is an embarrassment. Stop trying to make excuses for that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Of course this is about apps. Otherwise Android auto and CarPlay would never have existed. One of your primary advantages of Android is the potential of the app catalog.
Well said.. until apps come out for Android Automotive it's not actually much use. So I'm eagerly awaiting the CarPlay functionality! In fact, I think the situation is ironically worse for Android users, since there is presumably no plan to roll out Android Auto, so Android users are entirely reliant on app developers porting their apps to Automotive which (for now) has a tiny user base, so where's the incentive?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Of course this is about apps. Otherwise Android auto and CarPlay would never have existed. One of your primary advantages of Android is the potential of the app catalog. I want Waze, I want Spotify, I want audible and a decent podcast app.

Do you know how unhappy people were until Tesla got Spotify support?

Where's your data backing up that most people want to use their voice for controlling their car? Is it useful? Sure. Would I give up other features for it? Nope.

Not having your first party music app work on your first fully integrated infotainment is an embarrassment. Stop trying to make excuses for that.
Oh, I think the apps will come. But this rollout was more about the interface.

And I really don't like using my voice to control anything, but google is better than any other car voice control that's been implemented. Regretably buttons are not returning any time soon, so voice is becoming more important since fumbling with soft buttons is very distracting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts