Polestar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if its been mentioned before, but the Android Automotive looks a lot different in the PS3 than it does in the 2. I wonder if the image is just a concept and more importantly, a sign of what it could be updated to in the future in our 2's? Or more likely it is specific to the 3. I do wish you could see different apps on the same screen as Google Maps like Spotify.

· Registered
39 Posts
Polestar has confirmed that any work done on the Android Automotive implementation for the 3 is not backwards compatible to the 2. The most obvious reason given is that the hardware in the 2 isn't as capable as that in the 3.

· Registered
272 Posts
I’m pretty sure the Polestar 2 can run AAOS 13 and that layout no problem, but hardware compatibility requirements are sparse for AAOS 13 right now. My guess is that once Polestar 3 is rolling out, then there will be a transition to a consistent interface for the brand.
It feels like Polestar 3 is making a mistake shrinking that display behind the wheel too much. I use to the Polestar 2 instrument cluster map to watch the upcoming complex curves of the road, rather than only the next alert from the navigation. My tablet displays the trip overview and optional paths or media. I can keep my eyes on the road better with the map at the wheel.

· Registered
272 Posts
Good video clip. Yes, there is a map displayed at the wheel, but far less forward map road/turn coverage because the height/ratio is lower. This layout seems to be the result of wanting to keep the dash flat behind the wheel. The easy fix would be to just make that screen taller.

While talking screens, I’d also like to dream the portrait infotainment able rotate to landscape view for video playback. A transition/pull outward during 90 rotation would be the best method to lock it back in firmly for both final positions. Android Automotive apps should be able to cover both of these positions no problem since the developers will need to design for both layouts for different cars. The screen area behind the wheel may be a little hidden, but the controls at the bottom could rotate there.

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No reason at all why AAOS on the 2 can’t be updated to have the same layout as the 3. The ability to show other apps along with Google Maps would be really good. Surprised it’s not available already to be honest.

· Registered
15 Posts
No reason at all why AAOS on the 2 can’t be updated to have the same layout as the 3. The ability to show other apps along with Google Maps would be really good. Surprised it’s not available already to be honest.
I think one of the reason would be that the Polestar 3 system is more powerful (new SoC, more RAM, bigger screen, better resolution, etc), and that it would require too much work on the P2.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts