Polestar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please can anyone help me to 'Update' the Android System WebView?
When I 'Touch' the 'Update' icon next to Android System WebView listing, nothing happens.
Any help or direction would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
Void, Charcoal
454 Posts
The WebView update is blocked on purpose. About 8 months ago a WebView update totally broke the user manual and since fixing that the WebView updates have been blocked. Loads of threads on here about it.
I have to go and check, but I'm pretty sure this is no longer the case. The original problem with WebView has long been fixed, and the update is not blocked, as far as I know. (I will check. Expect a retraction from me in case I'm wrong.)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have to go and check, but I'm pretty sure this is no longer the case. The original problem with WebView has long been fixed, and the update is not blocked, as far as I know. (I will check. Expect a retraction from me in case I'm wrong.)
I managed to update this app a few weeks ago. I can't fully recall the steps. But I am sure I went in to the Apps screen, located the app and the cleared the Cache and Data options. Then I tired again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And does the manual still work after update?
I have just un-installed the Update to the App and then Re-Installed the Update. All worked perfectly. However, please be patient as it is a large update. It will spend many minutes 'Pending'. After the successful update, I then tried the 'Manual'. Glad to report, that it all works fine and as expected!.

·
Registered
Void, Charcoal
454 Posts
Ahhh ok. Sorry, android n00b here. Lifetime iOS user.
No worries. It's a bit of an oddity even within the Android world, and the slightly misapplied naming is definitely confusing.

Just for the record: Most apps in Android, when you "uninstall" them, will just be ... uninstalled, i.e., poof, gone.
But there are some apps that are considered part of the system, i.e., apps the presence of which is required for the whole thing to work properly at all. When you "update" such an app from the app store, you get a new version, but - just in case - the system keeps the original built-in version around. When you later "uninstall" the app (which really just means: uninstall the update), the original version that was kept around gets reinstated.

At least that's my mental model of what's going on there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Guys. Just an update since I uninstalled the App/Update and then re-installed. Did a 200 mile round road trip yesterday with the Google Maps screen on 100% of the time. I can confirm that Google Maps is now 100% stable. Not sure if this was an actual fix, work around or just a coincidence, but either way, it is worth a try if you having this problem. Good luck and thank you you for all your solid advice.

·
Registered
Polestar 2
278 Posts
This worked for me too and everything seems to be fine including the manual.

The only weird thing was after clicking Uninstall the Webview version was 96.0.4464.45 (15th November 2021) and then after doing the update it was still the same version number and date.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts