Registered
317 Posts
Grey hair is what it gave me ...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Grey hair is what it gave me ...
I must admit, I didn’t find it very impressive either - I actually messaged Jonathan to tell him : had a very quick / positive reply and have had a number of exchanges since.

·
Registered
819 Posts
He says:
Polestar has a sales strategy aiming to “fundamentally change the face of car retail”. However, Goodman insists that there was never any doubt it would draw on the know-how of traditional franchised car retailers to deliver industry-leading customer service.

Then he says:
“Our first retail partners had to buy into the Polestar project without having seen or driven the cars,” he says.
“They had to commit to something totally different, with no commission, no wholesale cars and customers who will primarily interact with us.

But later:
Polestar retailers operate on a non-commission, fixed fee per sale agency model agreement.

Hmmm, whats the difference between commission and a fixed fee per sale??

So they have copied the Tesla model, except they commission a third party outfit that knows nothing to sell them. No sale, no commission fee. (and no overheads for Polestar).

Sounds like everybody wins. Except the customer.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Any previous car purchase has been easier. The Polestar purchase required a lot more interaction with different Polestar people to manoeuvre through the process. Delivery was delayed by several weeks because they did not properly communicate. The great Polestar sales site still says the car has not been paid... Rejuvenating? Nah...

·
Registered
2021 2
2,337 Posts
I think they’re trying to copy the Tesla model but building off of existent OEM infrastructure, with little apparent know how on software development. Part of what makes the Tesla model work is that they don’t have the baggage of existent dealers to mess with and they can agilely use software to address concerns that crop up.
I haven’t checked it in months but the Polestar website was in shambles when I purchased the car. And they relied on not-a-dealer housed in a dealership to fill in the gaps that the website couldn’t address. It sounds like it hasn’t gotten much better 6 months later.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I think they’re trying to copy the Tesla model but building off of existent OEM infrastructure, with little apparent know how on software development. Part of what makes the Tesla model work is that they don’t have the baggage of existent dealers to mess with and they can agilely use software to address concerns that crop up.
I haven’t checked it in months but the Polestar website was in shambles when I purchased the car. And they relied on not-a-dealer housed in a dealership to fill in the gaps that the website couldn’t address. It sounds like it hasn’t gotten much better 6 months later.
Yea, there are a few companies trying to mimic the Tesla model. Not having to sit in a dealership being upsold for 8 hours is appealing, lol. I do like the idea of removing the salesfloor pressure but still using the knowhow of a dealership, it just needs to be executed properly. For me it was all relatively smooth (outside of the website issues).

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wasn’t overly impressed with the Trafford Centre Spaces.

One of my pet hates is people who don’t understand or know the facts about the product they are “selling”.

I know that some of the answers I got were just incorrect - I’d much prefer them to say they didn’t know, but would find out.

Personally I don’t think there’s any excuse for lack of knowledge, especially when they only have one product.

As I’ve mentioned before, I nearly didn’t progress my order following my visit and test drive

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
One of my pet hates is people who don’t understand or know the facts about the product they are “selling”.
lol, you would LOOOOOOVE American car dealerships.

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
2021 2
2,337 Posts
Yea, there are a few companies trying to mimic the Tesla model. Not having to sit in a dealership being upsold for 8 hours is appealing, lol. I do like the idea of removing the salesfloor pressure but still using the knowhow of a dealership, it just needs to be executed properly. For me it was all relatively smooth (outside of the website issues).
One of the issues with the current Polestar model is it's quasi dealership based in that so much depends on the particular "Space" (not dealer, no not a dealer.... ok fine it's a dealer) you're working with. Sounds like Reza in LA is fantastic. The folks at Manhattan Motors are, um, challenged. The folks in the Bay Area overall come through; but I had to be the one to educate them that their stock 19" tires weren't all seasons, but rather summers. That heterogeneity in Space partners means there's going to be heterogeneity in customer experience that undercuts everything the good Mr. Goodman is trying to enable.

For Tesla they are explicit that the folks in the show room just show you the car, arrange test drives, and maybe answer a few softball questions. But you order the car online like you might get a desk lamp from Amazon. Questions are answered based on what's on the website. Delivery happens in person but is arranged online through the website or app. Service appts are set similarly. There's no expectation that the physical in-person shops will have any bearing on your ordering, delivery, or post-delivery experience. And that works because the website and app work and are not chronically buggy.

Polestar really needs to figure out their website and app ASAP. The "Space" personnel need to understand that they should punt questions to the website/app that go beyond their own knowledge, and the website/app info have to be accessible and accurate. And stop freaking copying/pasting code and legal documentation from Volvo.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
One of the issues with the current Polestar model is it's quasi dealership based in that so much depends on the particular "Space" (not dealer, no not a dealer.... ok fine it's a dealer) you're working with. Sounds like Reza in LA is fantastic. The folks at Manhattan Motors are, um, challenged. The folks in the Bay Area overall come through; but I had to be the one to educate them that their stock 19" tires weren't all seasons, but rather summers. That heterogeneity in Space partners means there's going to be heterogeneity in customer experience that undercuts everything the good Mr. Goodman is trying to enable.

For Tesla they are explicit that the folks in the show room just show you the car, arrange test drives, and maybe answer a few softball questions. But you order the car online like you might get a desk lamp from Amazon. Questions are answered based on what's on the website. Delivery happens in person but is arranged online through the website or app. Service appts are set similarly. There's no expectation that the physical in-person shops will have any bearing on your ordering, delivery, or post-delivery experience. And that works because the website and app work and are not chronically buggy.

Polestar really needs to figure out their website and app ASAP. The "Space" personnel need to understand that they should punt questions to the website/app that go beyond their own knowledge, and the website/app info have to be accessible and accurate. And stop freaking copying/pasting code and legal documentation from Volvo.
Yea, that's what they're going for. Spaces are just showrooms for people to check out the cars, the transaction and delivery is handled by a dealership. The LA space is (or maybe was, it's still on the site though) in Santa Monica, you do all the final pickup and such at Galpin Volvo in Van Nuys.

Reza was great, but he was still learning when I picked up my car. He was honest about everything, which I appreciated.

Good thing is these issues are fixable... but they really need to get that website in order. They should also assign sales reps to people, it's a little thing but having a single person you can speak to during the process would go a long way.

Reactions: Jono

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea, that's what they're going for. Spaces are just showrooms for people to check out the cars, the transaction and delivery is handled by a dealership. The LA space is (or maybe was, it's still on the site though) in Santa Monica, you do all the final pickup and such at Galpin Volvo in Van Nuys.

Reza was great, but he was still learning when I picked up my car. He was honest about everything, which I appreciated.

Good thing is these issues are fixable... but they really need to get that website in order. They should also assign sales reps to people, it's a little thing but having a single person you can speak to during the process would go a long way.
Definitely agree on the assigned contact - every time I call, it’s someone different and annoyingly they never seem to have any record of what’s been discussed previously.

·
Registered
2021 P*2 Thunder/Slate 19"
16 Posts
Not having to sit in a dealership being upsold for 8 hours is appealing, lol. I do like the idea of removing the salesfloor pressure but still using the knowhow of a dealership, it just needs to be executed properly.
You're looking for the Apple Store model. Knowledgable sales staff who don't work on commission/try to upsell, Genius' on-site to work through more technical problems, solid web-sales platform.

Tesla doesn't have it (no support network). Polestar doesn't have it (no support or sales network - yet). But the Dealer associations will not take this revolution lying down.

We'll see how this turns out.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
You're looking for the Apple Store model. Knowledgable sales staff who don't work on commission/try to upsell, Genius' on-site to work through more technical problems, solid web-sales platform.

Tesla doesn't have it (no support network). Polestar doesn't have it (no support or sales network - yet). But the Dealer associations will not take this revolution lying down.

We'll see how this turns out.
Polestar is leaning on the Volvo dealer network for sales and service, so while there aren't any Polestar "dealers", there is an established network they're leveraging.

I'm more interested in how they're going to handle the EV push. Even with direct sales they'll still get kickback for moving the cars on behalf of Polestar or Volvo (and I doubt any legacy company is going to go out completely on their own), and used cars aren't going anywhere, but what happens when that sweet, sweet service revenue starts to dry up? They'll be fine for a while because ICE cars aren't going anywhere for a long time, but still.

Regardless, considering my and my wife's experiences, and how they're marking up Mach-Es and the ID.4, can't say I'd shed any tears if they vanished.

·
Registered
317 Posts
lol, you would LOOOOOOVE American car dealerships.
I walked away from a buy in the US once. I asked the salesman to show me the grey GMC on the other side of the lot. On the way there he kept asking me "what car?". When we got right in front of it he said "oh that's pewter". I learned a new word and walked away... Yes I have had my experience with US dealerships, unfortunately European are not much better. BMW and Audi lost sales to Volvo for their miserable attitude.

·
Super Moderator
1,229 Posts
They have work to do. This whole experience - ordering, eventual delivery, ongoing issues - has been the least pleasurable and most tiresome car buying/ownership experience I've ever had.

It's good job the car is so bloody good otherwise I really would be spectacularly p1ssed off by now.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,698 Posts
They have work to do. This whole experience - ordering, eventual delivery, ongoing issues - has been the least pleasurable and most tiresome car buying/ownership experience I've ever had.

It's good job the car is so bloody good otherwise I really would be spectacularly p1ssed off by now.
x2
Exactly what I mean when I say best & worst car I've owned.

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
I've had good and bad experiences with car dealerships. Most recently, Honda: poor, BMW: excellent, a certain dealership in NYC: poor, Volvo: excellent in two different locations.

Good people are a pleasure. I don't mind them making a buck... They have to keep the lights on. But let's skip the bullshit, be respectful, and get the work done.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts