Polestar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just ordered a Snow White with Slate interior, plus tow bar.

For anyone wondering ... delivery now "December 2020" ... it was Still November a few days ago, but me and the wife were still debating over a PS2 or a Model 3 the weekend.

Ohh well will be a nice X-mas present for us. :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi - I'm in the same position as you 'pre-weekend'.

Would be interested to know what swung the Polestar 2 for you?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi - I'm in the same position as you 'pre-weekend'.

Would be interested to know what swung the Polestar 2 for you?
Hi, I posted in another thread but here are main pro's and con's for what's important to me.

Model 3

+Tesla Charging Network
+Range / Efficiency of Tesla's. (Long Range model around 250-270 real range)
+Bigger Boot and Froot/Frunk

-Saloon boot opening being restrictive.
-Major Build Quality Issues.
-Lack of any reasonable local service locations.

Polestar 2

+Build Quality.
+A more Luxurious interior.
+Better looking car.
+A hatchback (even if total space is less - 30 years of driving experience I know I prefer a Hatch)
+At least one service Locations within reasonable distance (Confirmed just now), with another 2 to be confirmed. (But check your local Volvo dealerships)

-The UK charging infrastructure if not a Tesla owner.
-Less Range (Realistically could be as low as 220)

For me the most important factors were :-
  • Build Quality
  • A good size boot for at least 2 suitcases and carry on's.
  • A Tow Bar capable of a ball point load of =>60kgs as I need it for a bike rack.
For the Tow Bar option we looked at all of these cars :-
  • Model 3 - Yup, has one and the correct min weight.
  • Kia eNiro / Soul - No Tow Bar Options
  • 2nd Hand Jaguar I-Pace - Yes to the Tow Bar, but point load only 45kg so not suitable for electric bikes.
  • Model Y - Not released in the UK as yet.
  • Ford Mach E - Still no confirmation that you can get one in the UK. The EU is meant to be getting one ... but no facts nor car until early 2021.
  • CyberTruck - I like the styling but a bit to big for our drive way ... but wouldn't need a tow bar :p
So it really came down to Tesla Model 3 and the Polestar 2. The major Tesla point their charging network - it's a major plus along with their route planner and suggested charging stops.

However, I'm not fussed about self driving, there is no 360deg parking camera (although I suppose you don't need one if it parks for you), I don't like that the M3 has no HUD or Drivers display console and you need to look to the side for your speed; and probably the biggest thing for me is build quality - I'm a little OCD, and with my cars I'm very OCD! Just ask the wife! So knowing a car in advance will probably have larger or off-centre panel gaps etc... just put me off, especially combined with that the 2 nearest Tesla service centres are 30miles or greater away.

It also helped that I personally like the PS2 styling over the M3, the boot is more piratical (even if smaller), and we only exceed 200+ mile trips once per year at most. So yeah ... ordered a Polestar 2 this morning!

What's your current thinking? What's most important to you?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum @GDank! Congrats on ordering your Polestar 2, good color choice. Is this going to be your first EV?
Thanks, and yes my first EV. Been thinking about one since early 2018. Nothing at that time had what I wanted (that I could afford), so been watching things develop carefully.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What's your current thinking? What's most important to you?
Firstly - Congratulations on your order 😎

For me I'm really only considering the Polestar 2 or Tesla 3 at the moment.

I've been a paeestger in a few Model 3's and quite like them overall - but I feel the minimalistic dash is perhaps too minimalistic; and whereas the Tesla 3 might be a bit faster and a bit nippier - I think the Polestar 2 has all the performance you would reasonably require; is better built, has better safety - and I really like to look of it.

So that's in 'Pole(star)' position at the moment.

But final decision will be made after I've driven both 🙂

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks, and yes my first EV. Been thinking about one since early 2018. Nothing at that time had what I wanted (that I could afford), so been watching things develop carefully.
Yeah it's crazy how much has changed for EVs in the past couple of years.

·
Registered
264 Posts
We had a Model 3 and sold after 5 months, looking forward to getting the Polestar. The 3 is brutal in sport mode to the point we would never use that amount of acceleration. Lots of wind and road noise as well, and constant messages that the cameras not working etc etc. just got fed up with that and the lousy build quality. Will Chinese Volvo be any better, jeez i hope so!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Welcome! I'm interested to see what people tow with the Polestar 2. 2,000 lbs of towing capacity is a useful figure

·
Registered
52 Posts
However, I'm not fussed about self driving, there is no 360deg parking camera (although I suppose you don't need one if it parks for you), I don't like that the M3 has no HUD or Drivers display console and you need to look to the side for your speed; and probably the biggest thing for me is build quality - I'm a little OCD, and with my cars I'm very OCD! Just ask the wife! So knowing a car in advance will probably have larger or off-centre panel gaps etc... just put me off, especially combined with that the 2 nearest Tesla service centres are 30miles or greater away.
Welcome!
How does the distance of those Tesla service centers compare to Polestars where you live?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome!
How does the distance of those Tesla service centers compare to Polestars where you live?
Might be easier to show this highly detailed and 100% accurate map!

Welcome! I'm interested to see what people tow with the Polestar 2. 2,000 lbs of towing capacity is a useful figure
I'm only going to use for a 3 wide bike rack, however I'm sure some people out there will be crazy enough to tow something very big! (Then complain the range is poor)

I'm hopping I can do 150 miles with the bikes on the back ... if that happens I'll be very happy!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Add me too to this! I'm in the process of placing an order today. Like some of you did miss the est Nov delivery. 1st BEV for me too so it is gonna be interesting.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just checked mine, and it's too been changed from December to November ... I'm hoping that this might again improve! :D

·
Registered
264 Posts
Haha, i'm tracking mine too, it's approaching Suez on the Morning Linda and due there tomorrow! It looks as though it will be here late August early September.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts